Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Happy Birthday Mr. Bellaver

midwestan

Today is Harry Bellaver's birthday. Never a major star, he got enough work on the big screen, small screen, and theater to support his family. To my knowledge, he is the only thespian from my hometown that can be seen on television today.https://www.google.com/#q=harry+bellaver

I had the pleasure of meeting Harry when he came home for a visit in the late 1960's. I was only 10 at the time, and it was a big thrill for me to meet someone I had seen on television! On TCM, he can be seen from time to time in "Another Thin Man' and 'From Here to Eternity'.

NO WAY OUT may feature Bellaver's best role in a movie as the lip-reading brother of Richard Widmark.

Interesting that a cast mate in ANOTHER THIN MAN is Horace McMahon, Bellaver's co-star on NAKED CITY.

Thanks for the info clore! My 13th post here, and I've managed to double-post twice! I'm still trying to figure this out, and how to post a photo of Harry. He was a nice guy, and he has a niece and nephew who live near me, and I have known them for years.

To post a photo here, first you need the link from a picture on the web - let's start with this, a link to a shot of the youthful Bellaver:

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/b/bd/Harry_Bellaver.jpg/400px-Harry_Bellaver.jpg

To have it appear as an image. just put an exclamation point at both ends of the link and you'll get this:

400px-Harry_Bellaver.jpg

If I remember rightly, he was also one of Ada's (Constance Ford) husbands on *Another World.* She buried three: Bellaver, New York actor Fred J. Scollay and Dolph Sweet. With actors like this to work with no wonder she stayed with the show until she died. Bellaver's character was twenty miles of bad road outside, strong and gentle inside. I'd have taken him.

You're right, wouldbestar, Harry Bellaver played Ernie Downs, one of Constance Ford's husbands on *Another World*. She did indeed have good actors to work with. Although being married to Ada didn't bode well for a guy's longevity!

If I remember correctly, Harry Bellaver also has a good-sized role in *The Brothers Rico*.

I can't say that I recall Bellaver being dressed that way in the film, but it's certainly of the same vintage. The New York Times obit references a photo copyright 1939 by William Stone, only the pic doesn't appear in the online page. I'm guessing that it's the same pic.

Here's one from *Another Thin Man*:

1289-771.jpg

Here's another which is the youngest that I've seen of him, but the source isn't identified:

harry-bellaver-06.jpg

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings