Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movies that you'd like to see remade? (I know...blasphemy!)

traceyk65

This is the original trailer--makes it look pretty good. And it is, to a point. It's got a good mystery--Was Robert Forrest's death an accident? And if not, who killed him and why? Why won't the widow cooperate? What is she hiding? The trouble is that it gets bogged down in exposition and ant-fascist preachiness. And there's no love story between Tracy and Hepburn, which is really a waste of great chemistry.

I think this movie would actually benefit from a remake. Tighten up the plot, cut out the preaching (or at least tone it down) play up the suspense and the attraction between the two stars. Keep the comic relief and the cute kid and keep the claustrophobic dark atmosphere. Maybe have it star someone like Harrison Ford in the Tracy role and Cate Blanchett int he Hepburn part (I'm really terrible at casting modern actors) Set it in modern times and make the dead man a political candidate, rev up the paranoia and go!

Sooo--what other classic movies can you think of that are flawed that might be better if they were remade and why?

Not "blasphemy' at all, tracey! NOT at all, and the reason it isn't is EXACTLY for the reason(s) you mentioned in your proposal..."Keeper of the Flame" is a flawed film, and despite the fact it features two of the greatest films stars ever.

Yep, you're EXACTLY correct...in many ways it's "preacher" than what some people sit through on a Sunday Morning AND about as subtle as a sledgehammer in some other regards.

And now for MY proposed remake, and one which I've stated a few times around here previously and have also been met with cries of "blasphemy" by others: "The Petrified Forest".

And the reason I'd like someone to tackle this project is NOT as some naysayers erroneously conjectured because I want "more outlandish action", BUT because I believe Robert Sherwood's play about the collision of two distinctly different and intelligent men, one from the "right-side-of-the-tracks" but disillusioned with life and so anguished that life means nothing to him anymore, and the other from the "wrong-side-of-the tracks" who would do anything to keep on living, is SUCH a timeless theme that I would love to see it updated by use of more modern references.

(...and yeah, once again, even though the leads in the original of THIS one were ALSO some of the greatest of film stars ever)

I'd like a remake of Scaramouche simply because it's one of my favourite novels of all time. The 1923 version is good, but the 1952 version just didn't capture the book and took too many liberties. I always envisioned a film version of Scaramouche in the same vein as Richard Lester's Three and Four Musketeers.

A remake of Captain Blood and Of Human Bondage would be interesting, even though their predecessors are very fine films indeed.

On the subject of The Three Musketeers though, I NEVER want to see another adaptation of that in my life. It's one of my favourite books and all the modern (past 20 years or so) film versions have been so utterly awful. Richard Lester captured the books the best, and previous adaptations to those films are charming and fun.

Out of those adventure novels however, I feel Scaramouche has more to offer considering the complexity of the main character.

Many years ago, I read "The List of Adrian Messenger" for the first time and have re-read it many times since. It's a fascinating story and so well written. Because of this,I was eagerly anticipating the movie version. What a disapppointment! It was absolutely terrible. In the original ads, all they did was promote the gimmick of having celebrities on ther screen completely disguised. The basic plot was practially done away with. I'd love to see another attempt at filming this gripping suspense story.

Terrence.

Those are all good suggestions, especially Petrified Forest and Of Human Bondage. The plot and themes are still relevent today, maybe even more than when they were made. Forest especially could be tied into America's messed-up prison system and inequality issues and really could be interesting.

Not familiar with Scaramouche. The only reference I have is the Italian clown?

I do not know if it could be said that it would truly be a remake - I would love to see a good version of: The Count of Monte Cristo written by A. Dumas.

There is one movie only which captures any of the best elements of the novel and that is a recent movie. It was forced to leave out many excellent aspects because of the constraint of squeezing such a sweeping story into a convenient length.

>Do you know what Keeper of the Flame was really about and why it was so preachy? The film was actually about 4 years out of date when it was made

I assume it was warning about the dangers of European Fascism and the possibilty of it happening here. Was there something else going on then that Im missing?

I think it would be a good candidate for an updated remake--though it's almost inevitable that it might come out too Dan Brown-ish. Might be interesting to take the theories floating around out there right now (and there are a lot of them, ranging from, "OK, I can almost buy that" to "OMG This person is a grade A nut job!") about America moving towards a plutocracy and being secretly run by a handful of individuals. (I know... "You mean it isn't?" Yes, probably, but let me keep my illusions, ok?)

*Attack of the Crab Monsters*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTVWQ8dxPW0

Man, that movie makes me hungry! I need a big vat of boiling water, some soft butter, a gallon jug of Tabasco sauce, some cocktail sauce, and about 50 boxes of Zatarain's Crab Boil. :P

extra-spicy-crawfish-shrimp-crab-boil-ba

And some good Cajun music :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9V5Z5R97MA

I have an answer that will probably be considered blasphemy (especially if there are any Brits in this forum) but I will say Brief Encounter. I saw it for the first time when it aired recently on TCM and it just didn't work for me. I didn't really love either of the characters or the way it was filmed but I could see the good movie hidden in there. From what I can tell, it wasn't very well adapted from the stage. The voiceover and the way it was staged made it lose something (even if I had liked the actors). So yes, I'm fully behind some director trying to redo Brief Encounter in a way that's faithful to the play and a period piece but that's filmed in a more interesting/compelling way. I take this all back if they're just going to hire Keira Knightley or Carey Mulligan for the lead female role.

Also, musicals. There are so many musicals I'd like to see remade or just put on screen the way they deserve to be preserved.

>Along the same lines as "Crab Monsters" I would enjoy seeing a new >special effects laden remke of some fifties movies - "Earth vs the Flying >Saucers" "Incredible Shrinking Man" "This Island Earth" "Them!" or even >"I Was a Teenage Werewolf".

Didn;t they remake the teen werewolf in the 80's with Michael J Fox? If the point of the remake is better special effects, that might be a mistake. The reason amny of those old scifi movies are so enjoyable (for me anyway) is that the effects are so bad.

>traceyk65:

>The reason amny of those old scifi movies are so enjoyable (for me anyway) is that the effects are so bad.

The reason any of those old movies, such as Them!, and The Thing From Another World, are so enjoyable is because the story and characterization overcame the limitations of the effects. The mistake that the remakers make is assuming that the application of boffo special effects will make a successful movie. The general failure of the remakes of, say, King Kong, Godzilla, and The Day the Earth Stood Still, for example, highlight this misinterpretation.

>aradia22:

>I have an answer that will probably be considered blasphemy (especially if there are any Brits in this forum) but I will say Brief Encounter. I saw it for the first time when it aired recently on TCM and it just didn't work for me.

Now, I'm not one to have my thinking determined by others, and goodness knows I maintain enough positions at odds with popular thought. But I will say in this case, popular thought and I agree, that Brief Encounter is one of the great romantic movies, and is one of the early examples of David Lean's genius. It was remade in 1974, disastrously, with Sophia Loren and Richard Burton. The difference between the two can be summed up in that the first film was a story about an affair between ordinary people, elevated to a transcendent level by the actors and direction, and the later one told a story with glamorous movie stars slumming in the middle class, and made commonplace with pedestrian direction.

The Godzilla remake looks amazing- the director Gareth Edwards made an interesting indie sci-fi movie called "Monsters" (2010) and also created the films amazing FX. Modern special effects are not the only reason to remake a classic movie and I agree they must serve the story first. A remake should be done if the film makers have a different take on the material- not just a souped up re-hash.

Another question--are there any remakes you think worked?

I am a HUGE Katharine Hepburn fan. I can even sit through her less-than-good movies. And I LOVE The Lion in Winter. I expected to want to throw the remote at the 2003 remake, but I actually liked it, especially Glenn Close's Eleanor. Patrick stewart played Henry more or less as O'Toole had (it's not a terribly subtle character--I think you'd almost have to play it big and brash) but Close plays Eleanor more playfully than Hepburn, mostly, and may have actually done the dramatic scenes better. Here's the same scene played by both Close and Hepburn:

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/314330/Lion-In-Winter-The-Movie-Clip-Oh-My-Piglets.html

In addition, the remake's Richard and Phillip have actual chemistry (which Timothy Dalton and Anthony Hopkins did not).

One question related to remakes from a producers POV is if one should remake a movie that was well received (a first rate production), or one what wasn't.

Most people I meet assume it is better to remake a 'dud' (as long as the source material is strong). Often at this forum people will say 'why remake XYZ, that film was perfect!'. I can see a reason for either type of remake; each being a challenge to the producer in very different ways.

I haven?t seen the A Lion In Winter remake but I did see Glenn Close in the play Sunset Boulevard and she gave a great performance. I think people often get hung up when comparing performances as it relates to who was better. With Sunset Blvd it was a different interpretation and both were great.

Oh, and when I was a teen I saw Kate in a play and that was really special. Funny I have only see two major stars in plays and they are Kate and Close! This was the last stop on Kate's tour and she came out and talked to 'LA'. She said that some felt she didn't love Hollywood and she told us she loved the people in the area. She was warm and open and really made us feel special that night.

I think the Coen Brothers remake of TRUE GRIT was extraordinarily better than the John Wayne version decades ago but then I am not much of a Wayne fan. I think the Coen Brothers could remake anything and I would want to see it no matter what the original was. I have that much respect for this modern film-making duo. I did not see the Close/Stewart remake of THE LION IN WINTER and now really would like to see it.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings