Jack Warden

Eli Wallach

Setsuko Hara

Bruce Dern

Audrey Totter

Warren Oates

Edited by: sweetsmellofsuccess on Feb 12, 2014 7:09 AM

images3.jpg

I think most of the ones you mentioned are worthy. I would add Dorothy Malone, an Oscar winner and smoldering screen presence who does not seem to get the recognition she deserves.

My list would be richly sprinkled with deserving newcomers to the honor, along with a few who've been missing from SUTS for quite a few years. I'll call it the *"It's About Time"* list, in alphabetical order.

Eve Arden

Edward Arnold

Richard Barthelmess

Richard Basehart

Clara Bow

Raymond Burr

Louis Calhern

Cyd Charisse

Richard Conte

Judy Davis

Ruby Dee

Richard Dix

Paul Douglas

Marie Dressler

Richard Dreyfuss

W. C. Fields

Gladys George

Stewart Granger

Jane Greer

Susan Hayward

Betty Hutton

Margaret Lindsay

Victor Mature

Ralph Meeker

Robert Mitchum

Ricardo Montalban

Jeanne Moreau

Edmond O'Brien

Al Pacino

George Sanders

Shirley Temple*

*Not really, but it's inevitable

Edna May Oliver

Fredric March

Clara Bow

Victor Mature

Jean Arthur

Walter Brennan

Joan Blondell

Charlie Chaplain

Deborah Kerr

Edward Arnold

Loretta Young

Thomas Mitchell

Louise Beavers

William Powell

Clair Trevor

Tyrone Power

Anna May Wong

James Cagney

Spring Byington

Eli Wallach

Janet Gaynor

Anthony Quinn

Beah Richards

Walter Connolly

Greer Garson

Dana Andrews

Mary Pickford

Van Heflin

Paulette Goddard

David Niven

Debra Paget

Good list. Chaplin already has been featured twice on Summer Under The Stars, and is scheduled again from what I was told. But May Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks have never been featured. A gross oversight to be sure.

The have enough of Renee Adoree's films for her to be featured easily I believe. Janet Gaynor would be a great choice. Clara Bow, can't be done, because there are not enough movies yet that TCM has access to. Same is likely true of Dolores Del Rio, but most of the films they would schedule would probably be talkies.

For sound films. How about Julie Andrews, and Jacqueline Bissett? Maybe we could finally get *THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE* again, and a debut of *WHO IS KILLING THE GREAT CHEFS OF EUROPE?* Would like to see Veronica Lake or Ella Rains.

And mine . . .

Verree Teasdale

Roland Young

Fay Bainter

Conrad Veidt

Maureen O'Sullivan

Paul Douglas

Ann Sheridan

Joseph Calleia

C. Aubrey Smith

May Robson

Chester Morris

Thelma Ritter

Walter Houston

Margaret Lindsay

Edna May Oliver

Robert Young

Agnes Moorehead

Clifton Webb

George Sanders

Virginia Bruce

Lloyd Nolan

Ruth Chatterton

Mary Astor

Kay Francis

William Powell

James Garner

Basil Rathbone

Eve Arden

Lewis Stone

Robert Montgomery

Una Merkel

For those who would be most interested in honoring non-repeats, here are the last 5 years of SUTS lists. Several stars have already been honored 5 or 6 times, sometimes even in consecutive years.

2011 with Jean Gabin, Lon Chaney, Ann Dvorak, Conrad Veidt and Linda Darnell had to be the strongest lineup of all of them in terms of seldom seen rarities.

*August 2009*

Henry Fonda, James Mason, Marion Davies, James Coburn, Harold Lloyd, Judy Garland, Glenn Ford, Bette Davis, Cary Grant, Dirk Bogarde, Audrey Hepburn, Clark Gable, Gloria Grahame, Sidney Poitier, Deborah Kerr, Elvis Presley, Jennifer Jones, John Wayne, Red Skelton, Miriam Hopkins, Gene Hackman, Sterling Hayden, Angela Lansbury, Fredric March, Merle Oberon, Yul Brynner, Ida Lupino, Frank Sinatra, Peter Sellers, Jean Arthur, Claire Bloom

*August 2010*

Basil Rathbone, Julie Christie, Steve McQueen, Ethel Barrymore,. Woody Strode, Ingrid Bergman, Errol Flynn, Bob Hope, Warren Beatty, Kathryn Grayson, Walter Matthau, Norma Shearer, Robert Ryan, Gene Tierney, Margaret O'Brien, Robert Stack, Maureen O'Hara, Ann Sheridan, Walter Pidgeon, Katharine Hepburn, Paul Newman, John Mills, Elizabeth Taylor, John Gilbert, Lauren Bacall, Lee Remick, Olivia de Havilland, Peter O'Toole, Henry Fonda, Thelma Todd, Clint Eastwood

*August 2011*

Marlon Brando, Paulette Goddard, Bette Davis, Ronald Colman, John Garfield, Lucille Ball, Charles Laughton, Orson Welles, Ann Dvorak, Shirley MacLaine, Ben Johnson, Claudette Colbert, James Stewart, Ralph Bellamy, Lon Chaney, Joanne Woodward, Humphrey Bogart, Jean Gabin, Debbie Reynolds, Montgomery Clift, Cary Grant, Joan Crawford, Conrad Veidt, Joan Blondell, Burt Lancaster, Peter Lawford, Linda Darnell, Carole Lombard, Anne Francis, Howard Keel, Marlene Dietrich

*August 2012*

John Wayne, Myrna Loy, Johnny Weissmuller, Marilyn Monroe, Claude Rains, Van Heflin, Sidney Poitier, Rita Hayworth, Toshiro Mifune, Lionel Barrymore, James Mason, Ginger Rogers, Deborah Kerr, James Cagney, Lillian Gish, Elvis Presley, Katharine Hepburn, Freddie Bartholomew, Eva Marie Saint, Anthony Quinn, Kay Francis, Jack Lemmon, Gene Kelly, Irene Dunne, Tyrone Power, Gary Cooper, Jeanette MacDonald, Ava Gardner, James Caan, Warren William, Ingrid Bergman

*August 2013*

Humphrey Bogart, Doris Day, Alec Guinness, Mary Boland, Charlton Heston, Joan Fontaine, Fred Macmurray, Ramon Novarro, Steve McQueen, Lana Turner, Henry Fonda, Catherine Deneuve, Mickey Rooney, Bette Davis, Gregory Peck, Ann Blyth, Wallace Beery, Natalie Wood, Randolph Scott, Hattie McDaniel, William Holden, Maggie Smith, Elizabeth Taylor, Charles Coburn, Clark Gable, Jeanne Crain, Martin Balsam, Shirley Jones, Glenda Farrell, Kirk Douglas, Rex Harrison

This would be mine, I don't even care if these people have been honored with prior SUTS. They're my favorites, so that's who I'd like to see:

Errol Flynn

Myrna Loy

Cary Grant

William Powell

Gene Kelly

Jack Lemmon

William Holden

Claudette Colbert

Barbara Stanwyck

Audrey Hepburn

Katharine Hepburn

Rita Hayworth

Glenn Ford

Orson Welles

Henry Fonda

James Stewart

Elizabeth Taylor

Paul Newman

Burt Lancaster

Judy Garland

Humphrey Bogart

Claude Rains

Bette Davis

Alfred Hitchcock

Ingrid Bergman

Hey speed, August has 31 days, not just 25 ;) I respect your choosing of favorites, some make my favorite list too. But I would hope that the choices for SUTS would meet 2 criteria ; First, NO repeats from last year, and second about a third of the of the choices would be people who have never been honored before. That would bring forth some notable "character actors" who have always been a big part of making good movies.

Nothing wrong with you're list, but you might want suggest it for 2015. It's highly likely that TCM had all the 2015 stars picked months ago and have been working on getting specific films.

Thanks. I wasn't counting the names-- just listing favorites and I couldn't think of any more. I know William Holden and Bette Davis were honored last year; but I still enjoy their films and wouldn't mind another SUTS. I see that a lot of people want to see the character actors honored, which I appreciate. While I do occasionally recognize the character actors from film to film, I don't really remember a lot of their names.

There are a few character actors that I do like (and remember their names), Alan Hale and Sydney Greenstreet, for example, tend to be paired up with some of my favorite actors, so I figure it'd be a win-win in that case.

I still stand by my list add a few names just to complete August; but for me personally, days dedicated to my favorite actors would more likely draw me to TCM then days dedicated to people I haven't heard of (not that I'm unwilling to "hear of them"). I usually get my copy of "Now Playing" halfway through the previous month and I'll peruse it and circle the films I want to record. My recording criteria are if the film stars actors that I like (or were directed by people I like) and just want to see their work or if it's a film I've heard of and always wanted to see. I don't typically just sit and watch TCM regardless of what is on. I usually either record or tune in specifically to watch something that I have been planning on watching or that I enjoy watching.

My list would be -

William Holden

Richard Basehart

Ralph Meeker

James Cagney

Edward G. Robinson

Marlon Brando

James Dean (they can have a 1/2 day of his films and documentary)

Paul Newman

Vincent Price

Vivien Leigh

Laurence Olivier

Vic Morrow - don't recall them ever giving him a SUTS day

Bette Davis

Dana Andrews

Lee J. Cobb

Gregory Peck

Jeanne Crain

Frank Sinatra

Burt Lancaster

Richard Widmark

Steve McQueen

Martin Balsam

Clark Gable

Lucille Ball

John Garfield

Glenn Ford

>That's probably true... though perhaps a few names could be subject to change for various reasons.

I agree. It's February, and only the schedules through May are complete. In all likelihood, they have not finalized the schedules for the summer months yet. In fact, I would bet that they are probably working on the SUTS lineup as we write this. So this would seem to be a good time to make a few suggestions...

>James Dean (they can have a 1/2 day of his films and documentary)

I think if they ever feature him for SUTS (which in my opinion they should), they might save his films for the primetime hours and spend the early morning hours showcasing other 'gone-too-soon' matinee idols, like Robert Francis and Tom Pittman (Pittman died a very similar death). It could make for an interesting day/theme.

ANN SHERIDAN

BETTY GRABLE

RITA HAYWORTH

VERONICA LAKE

DOROTHY LAMOUR

PAULETTE GODDARD

LANA TURNER

HEDY LAMAAR

GENE TIERNEY

LAUREN BACALL

LIZABETH SCOTT

BETTY HUTTON

OLIVIA DEHAVILLAND

JOAN FONTAINE

JUDY GARAND

GINGER ROGERS

CLAUDETTE COLBERT

MYRNA LOY

CAROLE LOMBARD

JEAN HARLOW

BETTE DAVIS

JOAN CRAWFORD

BARBARA STANWYCK

IDA LUPINO

ROSALIND RUSSELL

JEAN ARTHUR

IRENE DUNNE

KATHARINE HEPBURN

MAE WEST

SYLVIA SIDNEY

SHIRLEY TEMPLE

ANN SHERIDAN

BETTY GRABLE

RITA HAYWORTH

VERONICA LAKE

DOROTHY LAMOUR

PAULETTE GODDARD

LANA TURNER

HEDY LAMAAR

GENE TIERNEY

LAUREN BACALL

LIZABETH SCOTT

BETTY HUTTON

OLIVIA DEHAVILLAND

JOAN FONTAINE

JUDY GARAND

GINGER ROGERS

CLAUDETTE COLBERT

MYRNA LOY

CAROLE LOMBARD

JEAN HARLOW

BETTE DAVIS

JOAN CRAWFORD

BARBARA STANWYCK

IDA LUPINO

ROSALIND RUSSELL

JEAN ARTHUR

IRENE DUNNE

KATHARINE HEPBURN

MAE WEST

SYLVIA SIDNEY

SHIRLEY TEMPLE

With the films all to be introduced by Drew Barrymore and Molly Haskell. Might as well make sure nobody misses the point. :)

This is not a hasty choice on my part. Watching Richard Todd in THE HASTY HEART earlier today caused me to look at his film credits. He was in a lot of excellent movies. I think he'd be a fine addition to any SUTS lineup.

images8.jpg

Evelyn Ankers*

Richard Arlen*

Lionel Atwill*

Richard Barthelmess

Warner Baxter

Clara Bow*

William Boyd

Nancy Carroll*

Lon Chaney, Jr.*

Buster Crabbe*

W.C. Fields*

Huntz Hall

Jack Holt

Leila Hyams

Victor Jory

Laurel & Hardy

Bela Lugosi*

Christopher Lee

Warner Oland

Steve Reeves

Barbara Steele

Three Stooges

Thelma Todd

Helen Twelvetrees

Tom Tyler

Lupe Velez

Mae West*

Director James Whale*

Wheeler & Woolsey

Warren William

Fay Wray*

* means Universal-Paramount titles must be available

I'll just stick with my first choices, male and female:

Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. *sigh* Be still my heart. :)

douglas-fairbanks-jr-138883.jpg

The most luminously-sad (or sadly-luminous) pair of eyes to grace the silver screen, Sylvia Sidney:

Sylvia[iSidney[/i]2.jpg]

Yeah, I know - I need Universal to play nice.

And I enthusiastically second Gagman's request of Who Is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe? - if not for Jacqueline Bisset, then for Robert Morley. He's positively delicious in it! :D

Nora,

I don't know if you get the Encore channels on cable. But Sylvia Sidney was in a rerun of Magnum P.I. last night called 'Birdman of Budapest' from 1983. It will be rebroadcast on Monday afternoon, the 17th. She is excellent in this episode-- I just was blown away by her. She never lost her acting chops. Great performer, even at an advanced age.