Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Darling

FloydDBarber

I would say that term was just a popular expression of the times. I would take it to be a comment directed by a male towards a female, or the female using it as affection towards anyone , parent, sweetheart, close friend, etc. If you watch any of those John Ford military films, the Irish guys use "darling" towards their comrades and superiors quite often. I guess "darling" is kind of a dated term today, but it could always make a come back.

Edited by: mrroberts on Feb 16, 2014 2:31 AM

"Darling" or "Dear" was mostly used by adult *daughters* when addressing their elderly parents. I don't recall ever hearing it used by their sons, either in real life or in the movies.

What really seems strange is the practice of addressing one's parents by their first names, as if they were your siblings or your friends.

My kids called me by my first name. Didn't bother me, they knew I was their Dad. In fact, they often introduced me as..."This is my Dad, _____".

I understand the Wilson brothers, of Beach Boy fame, were often addressed as "Darling" or "Dear" by their Father.

In fact, MY Dad would often refer to me as "Dear God". Everytime he got a phone call from a neighbor or the school, he'd turn to me and ask, "Dear God, what have you done NOW?" ;)

Sepiatone

Too funny Sepiatone!!! LOL!! Myself and my brothers and sisters grew up calling one of our grandmothers "Ne" which was short for Neva. Don't know how it happened. I grew uncomfortable calling her "Ne" later in life but it was an ingrained habit for all us siblings for 40 years.

*I would say that term was just a popular expression of the times... I guess "darling" is kind of a dated term today, but it could always make a come back.*

I could lose count of the number of old movies I've seen where someone calls another "darling"... It sometimes stands out to me because I too think the term is dated today, but it would be nice if it made a comeback. It's kind of sweet (well, if used in the right context, lol...).

I've never called a parent "darling" but I've been called "darling" by a parent.

> I grew uncomfortable calling her "Ne" later in life but it was an ingrained habit for all us siblings for 40 years.

My wife's name is "Alicia". A grandniece, when she was just about two( she's 27 now) had trouble wrapping her tongue around the pronunciation, and wound up calling her "LaLa". Over the years, ALL the grand nieces and nephews called her that. They all STILL do. Even the GROWN UPS have taken to it! Funny thing is, I had a Grandfather I called "LaLa". Probably because that's what my older brother called him. How HE started with it I don't know. And I never felt uncomfortable with it. HE enjoyed the hell out of it!

I still occaisionally call little grandnieces "Darlin' ", even those who are now adult age.

Sepiatone