Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dodsworth

karenkdempsey

Just watched for the first time. I thought I had seen every good classic movie, but I missed this one. So good I watched it twice ! Mary Astor steals the show, and she was not in that many scenes. I'm so glad I am still discovering great classic movies. Anyone else have a pleasant surprise lately?

Hi Karen, I just watched for the second time and by coincidence posted a few comments on the Rambles thread over in Films And Filmmakers a few minutes ago. This movie dates very well and I think the girls steal the show. Huston is quite good, no doubt; but Chatterton and Astor are both terrific. Like you, I am a bit partial to Astor. Edith Cortright is fave character of mine. Welcome to the boards here, I see you are quite new. Hope to hear more from you. Laffite

Edited by: laffite on Feb 17, 2014 3:13 AM to correct thread reference

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just watched for the first time. I thought I had seen every good classic movie, but I missed this one. So good I watched it twice ! Mary Astor steals the show, and she was not in that many scenes. I'm so glad I am still discovering great classic movies. Anyone else have a pleasant surprise lately?

Isn't wonderful to discover a movie or actor you hadn't known about?

A nice surprise for me was TCM's showing of First A Girl, 1935, last week, and the female lead, Jessie Matthews.  I hadn't known about either, and was delighted by the film and the enchanting actress/singer/dancer.  She had been a major star in England, but didn't make many (or any?) movies in the U.S.  I hope TCM will show more of her films.  

A nice surprise for me was TCM's showing of First A Girl, 1935, last week, and the female lead, Jessie Matthews. 

Yeah, she's great, I only discovered her a few years ago too. The only other film I've seen of hers on TCM is EVERGREEN. Delightful. Why DON'T we see her films more often? I'm sure she made a ton of them.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings