Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
LonesomePolecat

OT: The Olympics

Sorry, TCM, but when the Olympics are on I don't want to watch anything else. MissWonderly reminded me that no one's mentioned them yet, so I thought I'd start an Olympics thread.

Now that NBC has shut up about politics and let us watch the games, I've been enjoying these immensely. I'm pretty excited for the Men's Figure Skating final tonight after Pluschenko withdrew and suddenly the gold medal was up for grabs. Love seeing USA sweep the new skiing slopestyle last night. Enjoyed all the drama and fun and can't wait for more of it.

More on topic, these Olympics have put me in the mood for both Olympic movies like CHARIOTS OF FIRE and Russian movies like THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING! THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING!

Anyone else?

Not really watching them . For all the channels they are using for the broadcast, you would think they could at least use one for live action. Its so packaged with all these pieces about where the come from and all that, it just bores me to tears.

I just want to see the action as it happens. If I already hear who won and lost, what's the use ??

You couldn't pay me enough money to watch the a single minute of the Olympics, not even if the only alternative were a Doris Day / Mickey Rooney musical, but I understand your reaction. That's exactly how I feel during the baseball playoffs, the NFL playoffs and Super Bowl, March Madness, and (sometimes) the NBA playoffs. Chacun ? son go?t. :)

>More on topic, these Olympics have put me in the mood for both Olympic movies like CHARIOTS OF FIRE and Russian movies like THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING! THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING!

And now in one hour's time, I will be out there again. I will raise my eyes and look down that corridor; 4 feet wide, with 10 lonely seconds to justify my existence. But will I?

Jake in the Heartland

Edited by: JakeHolman on Feb 14, 2014 10:25 PM

I always liked the Ski Jumping. I kind of see it as the first extreme sport. How can you not like a man, (and this year woman) flying through the air and landing on not much of anything.

I college I kind of knew a guy, (a friend of a friend type deal) who used to be a competitive Luger. By the time I met him he was pretty much a burnout, (think Jeff Specoli from Fast Times At Ridgemont High.)

As much as a sports fan as I am, I have zero interest in the Winter Olympics. About as much interest as I have in the J. Geils Band.

Can't help wondering why people who hate the Olympics would even comment on an Olympic thread... Guess some of y'all just like ranting, eh?

About Curling-- last Olympics I saw it, was fascinated, had no idea how it worked, so I said, "Okay, that's it!" and looked it up. Now that I know how it works it's incredibly exciting. :)

I was disappointed with men's figure skating. I think none of those skaters deserved a medal. The kid who won gold fell a few times, but the other skaters fell even more times. And these are supposed to be the best figure skaters?

The Winter Games are my favorite but I'm having trouble getting into them this year. I worry about the athletes because of the unsafe conditions. Sochi should not have been chosen as a site for winter games as they're having a hard time keeping temperature conditions for winter sports which is causing injuries to athletes.

So far, six of the U. S. athletes have "crashed and burned". The people "expected" to win medals are not while folks not even thought of are standing on the podium. This makes it interesting even if at our expense.

Perhaps we'd better enjoy them now because I think the 2018 games are scheduled for South Korea. With things so crazy there now who knows if they will happen?

I agree about the skaters and wondered if they could just say no medals to anybody? I remember one year when the women were nearly as bad and thought the same thing. Maybe they will be better next week.

Can't help wondering why people who hate the Olympics would even comment on an Olympic thread... Guess some of y'all just like ranting, eh?

Well, if you're going to introduce an OT thread on anything other than a recently deceased icon, you can't expect a unanimously adoring audience.

(Now if they'd only introduce sports like nine ball, ten ball and one pocket to the Olympics mix, then that might be worth the attention.)

But anyway, I *also* said I could fully understand the enthusiasm for the Olympics, since I've got the same sort of enthusiasm for the Big Three U.S. sports of baseball, football and basketball.

And if that had been intended as a "rant", I certainly wouldn't have added one of these things :) to the end of my comment, would I?

Does anyone know of any movie that has been made about Ski Jumping? I Think that would be a good subject for a Film.

There have been movies about other Olympic sports:

The Cutting Edge (Figure Skating)

Ice Castles (Figure Skating)

Cool Runnings ( Bobsled)

Miracle (Hockey)

Downhill Racer (Skiing, previously mentioned)

I saw a TV movie about a Biathlete who gets kidnapped by two Mountain Men, (true story.) But that's kind of a different story.

And don't forget the iconic "Blades of Glory"!

I enjoy the Olympics (both seasons). I prefer watching some sports over others, but overall, it's pretty cool. Cross Country skiing can be pretty exciting, and I like watching the strategy and shot-making ability in curling. I agree about the earlier poster on the men's figure skating finals. Dennis Ten (bronze medalist from Kazakhstan) was about the only finalist who didn't have a major flaw in his long program.

Does anyone remember a movie from 1971 or 1972 called "The Games"? I only saw it once, but it centered on several marathon runners from all over the world, and what they had to go through in preparing for and participating in the most important race of their lives. I think Ryan O'Neal was in it as the USA's best hope for a medal in the event. It was a pretty entertaining movie, as I recall.

> The Winter Games are my favorite but I'm having trouble getting into them this year. I worry about the athletes because of the unsafe conditions. Sochi should not have been chosen as a site for winter games as they're having a hard time keeping temperature conditions for winter sports which is causing injuries to athletes.

You would think, in a country the SIZE of Russia, there would be a location with more consistancy of winter weather. I'm willing to bet they now wished they picked some location in Northeastern United States!

And yes, these Olymics are rife with upsets. Figure skating is the worst. I can't skate and it seems I could be a medal contender!

Sepiatone

In the movie "Contact" (1997) some people freaked out when an unknown intelligence returned the first TV broadcast of the German 1936 summer Olympics with Hitler opening the games. I declare open the Olympic Games of Berlin, celebrating the Eleventh Olympiad of the Modern Era.

eg2-contact-2.jpg

The German camera that sent that.

bruchkanone.jpg

There have been movies about other Olympic sports:

The Cutting Edge (Figure Skating)

Ice Castles (Figure Skating)

Cool Runnings ( Bobsled)

Miracle (Hockey)

Downhill Racer (Skiing, previously mentioned)

If it hasn't already been mentioned, I'd say the most widely viewed movie on the Olympics was *Chariots of Fire,* a 1981 film about two British runners in the 1924 Olympics, which won the Oscar for Best Picture.

Just thought of another good Olympics movie: JIM THORPE--ALL AMERICAN. Oh, and MUNICH--isn't that about the Munich Olympics, or am I thinking of something else?

>In the movie "Contact" (1997) some people freaked out when an unknown intelligence returned the first TV broadcast of the German 1936 summer Olympics with Hitler opening the games.

Science quiz:

What year would the space aliens have first received the Olympics broadcast?

I'm not that good at science or math, but wouldn't it mater how many light years the Aliens are far away?

(I was an English major what the heck do I know.)

>FredCDobbs:

>What year would the space aliens have first received the Olympics broadcast?

Depends on how far away from the Earth they were. But before the time in which the movie takes place.

FredCDobbs wrote:

<< Science quiz:

What year would the space aliens have first received the Olympics broadcast? >>

*1961* the star Vega is 25 light year from Earth so the speed of light of the 1936 German broadcast would had took that long to arrive there. Another 25 years for the return signal but the aliens needed time to comprehend the broadcast signal and reply in a way our primitive race could easily decode.

Star-Vega-81759.jpg

In reality, experiments from the Voyager probes tells us that undirected broadcast will dissipate into the cosmic background noise before it reaches 1 light year distance.

Edited by: hamradio on Feb 16, 2014 10:38 PM

Ham, you are exactly right, including the part about the dissipation. An old weak TV signal would disappear into the background "noise" of space after a short distance. After all, we can't even receive a local TV station transmission more than about 50 miles away from the station's antenna. We could add a big amplifier receiver, but at some additional distance away from the TV station antenna, we would begin to pick up background radiation from space, which would cover up the very weak TV signal. :)