Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG

I can't believe that a soap operaish movie where the women all dress in pink and everyone sings to each other is among my favorite movies ever, but then The Umbrellas of Cherbourg so transcends traditional categories that it's pretty much a genre of its own. I could watch this movie once a year for the rest of my life and never tire of it.

AndyM108, you are so correct that THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG transcends genres.

There are people who don't like traditional "musicals" who love this movie and those who generally don't like French films who love this movie.

For those who love THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG, I recommend Christophe Honor?'s LES CHANSONS D'AMOUR (LOVE SONGS) which features Catherine Deneuve's daughter Chiara Mastroianni.

You should watch this movie without reading anything about the plot to better appreciate the twists (two major ones) of the story.

There was a quasi sequel made a few years later by Jacques Demi, called Les Demoiselles de Rochefort, or The Young Girls of Rochefort. It starred Catherine Deneuve and her sister Fran?oise Dorl?ac, playing sisters. The music is also by Michel Legrand. It is fully as charming and engaging a movie as Umbrellas. An added benefit is the presence of Gene Kelly. I look forward to TCM showing it in the future.

What a surprise! The color! The music! The acting! That wonderful ending in the snow! All singing musicals like "Les Miz" are a turn off to me...but "Umbrellas"was different. There have been stage versions of this charmer.