Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Vivid color THE RED SHOES followed by the austere b/w HAMLET last evening

roverrocks

Two great films of 1948 last evening at opposing ends of the spectrum of light. Viewed the vivid brilliant color of the great passionate "THE RED SHOES" last night followed by the lonely, dark,misty, black and white austerity of Olivier's "HAMLET". Two utterly magnificent movies seemingly lived and transpiring on two different planets. Very nice way to spend an evening. Thanks TCM.

The same can be said by the February 23 broadcast of "The Adventures of Robin Hood" followed by "You Can't Take It With You". Both films from the magnificent cinema year nobody seems to mention, 1938.

I have always been amazed by the stunning, vivid, brilliant colors of the print TCM owns with "The Adventures of Robin Hood". I wonder if I had seen this film during its initial release in 1938 would the color in this film had been this brilliant in the movie theatre. Just breathtaking.

The three-strip Technicolor process was extremely effective and durable, unlike later processes which faded. If you look at an unrestored color film made in the late 40s or 50s using some of the other color processes, you'll notice the difference.

While the colors of both The Adventures of Robin Hood and The Red Shoes are brilliant, the use of color is very different in those films. In Robin Hood, the colors enhance the natural setting, outdoor filming, and the costumes and natural attractiveness of its young stars. The color in The Red Shoes seems to be theatrical and intentionally intense to highlight the extreme emotions in that film.

>thomasterryjr:

>I have always been amazed by the stunning, vivid, brilliant colors of the print TCM owns with "The Adventures of Robin Hood"

TCM I don't think owns any, or very many films. I doubt Robin Hood would be one of them. But it is true, it is one of of the few films that I have never seen a bad print of on TCM. For me, the color in that film is the best of any.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings