Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
classiccinemafan

your favorite classic film actors ?

i like : james stewart , henry fonda , barbara stanwyck , loretta young , john garfield , bogart , james dean , steve mcqueen , clint eastwood, charles bronson , edward g. robinson , james cagney, clark gable , spencer tracy , harold lloyd , buster keaton , charlie chaplin, abbott and costello (#1 favorite, laurel and hardy #2) , ernest borgnine , doris day , john wayne , frank sinatra (he was great in Manchurian Candidate , man with the golden arm and suddenly) , robert ryan , marlon brando (on the waterfront - HIS BEST, wild one , apocalypse now and the godfather), al pacino (godfather 1 & 2 , dog day afternoon), robert deniro , jack lemmon & walter matthau (they're great together), gene kelly , fred astaire , joan fontaine , cary grant, audrey hepburn (she was BEAUTIFUL in Breakfast at Tiffany's) , kate hepburn (liked her in bringing up, baby. she was funny , young and pretty in that) , sidney poitier, karl madden , john travolta (liked him in saturday night fever) , jack nicholson...

Errol Flynn

Humphrey Bogart

Cary Grant

William Holden

Montgomery Clift

James Dean

Paul Newman

Gene Kelly

Fred Astaire

William Powell

Jack Lemmon

Marilyn Monroe

Audrey Hepburn

Katharine Hepburn

Bette Davis

Barbara Stanwyck

Olivia De Havilland

Grace Kelly

Kim Novak

Lucille Ball

Judy Garland

Myrna Loy

DISLIKES

Gary Cooper

Marlon Brando

Ginger Rogers

June Allyson

Joan Crawford

Miriam Hopkins

I appreciate that. I'm sure there's people that I like that others don't and vice versa. While Brando made some great films, "A Streetcar Named Desire" and "Guys and Dolls," for example, there's just something about him that annoys me. I think it's that he mumbles all the time. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't avoid films just because he's in them, in fact, I will watch some of his films, just because the film has such a reputation as a "classic" that I'll record them when they're on, just so that I can say that I've seen it, "A Streetcar Named Desire" being one of them. I also have "On the Waterfront" saved on the DVR to watch, just waiting to be in the mood to watch it.

I watched "Apocalypse Now" because it was supposedly such a classic and I was actually waiting for Brando to make his appearance. Then when he finally did, I hated his character and wanted him to go away-- actually I wanted the whole film to go away. It is definitely one of the longest, most tedious, most boring films I have ever seen. I do not need to ever watch it again.

Curious what you think of Brando once you see him in On the Waterfront - I think that's one of the best films and easily, one of the greatest performances by a male actor in a film that I've ever seen.