Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does TCM count in the Nielsen ratings?

TopBilled

diary.jpg

A diary was mailed to me recently by the Nielsen company. Starting yesterday, and going through next Wednesday, I am supposed to write down my viewing selections. I usually do watch TCM several hours per day.

But if TCM does not get ratings, I do not think I will include it in the survey. I would rather throw my support behind shows where the ratings count, especially those that are decent quality and in danger of being taken off the air.

Thoughts...?

I think it odd that no matter how low the ratings are for one of the "big three" networks, they still remain. However, when it comes to cable stations, low ratings may be cause for cable service providers to drop them.

Now, the SHOWS on the big three that have the lowest ratings may be dropped in hopes their ratings will improve, but with cable it's a bit different. There are major networks on cable that service companies will not drop due to many of their shows getting dismal ratings, such as TNT, TBS or USA. But other peripheral stations might suffer, such as THIS, MeTV or COZI. And there are a lot of viewers who LOVE those stations, but maybe not enough to meet the arbitrary number chosen by the cable provider.

It's not really a fair system, it seems. But I have no idea as to what any alternative might be.

Sepiatone

Hi TopBilled,

Nielsen uses written questionnaires? For years I heard of their famous "box", which is supposed to electronically track your channel selections.

I would think they could also get viewing data from the cable companies, as I'm sure the cable company can track through their boxes what channels every viewer watches as well as how much viewing time was spent on them.

I would have to believe that in this modern high tech world that we live in it would be easy to gather information about our viewing choices. As far as listing TCM as a viewing choice on a ratings survey that should be of some value. If NBC wants to know why I'm not watching one of their shows and instead I'm watching some 50 year old classic film on TCM maybe they will consider having some kind of a "Tuesday Night at the Movies" and show some classic films. Yes there will be commercials (which we all despise here) but it will mean that some films will be broadcast and be accessible to a wider audience.

Hi Thelma,

I think clore is right. There is a page in the diary where I have to give them demographic data. About ten years ago my mother did one of these diaries for Nielsen, and I had thought they discontinued them given our newest technologies. But as the photo in my original post attests, they still rely on pencil-and-paper surveys.

>Support? The diaries are supposed to be filled out based on precise viewing, not to give the recipient the opportunity to "support" any channel.

I think you are slightly misinterpreting what I said. The diary is causing me to think about what I watch. I am still providing precise data. But I am making sure that I watch or don't watch certain programs while doing the diary, because February is a sweeps month and the ratings mean more right now than they do at other times of the year.

So I guess you could say I am showing support for struggling quality shows by making a point of watching them this week and writing it down for the folks at the Nielsen media company.

These are shows that I would normally watch, but this week I am making sure that I do not miss them and that they get ratings points.

If you read my posts carefully, you will see that this is business as usual for me. I am very reflective and analytical about programming I watch. You should see me selecting food at the supermarket. Everything I do, every decision I make, is very strategic. This diary would be no different.

>TopBilled said: "But if TCM does not get ratings, I do not think I will include it in the survey. I would rather throw my support behind shows where the ratings count......."

For the survey to be accurate, everybody has to be totally honest in reporting what they watch. So if you watch TCM, you should report that as such.

Of course, many people don't because they don't want to admit that that their favorite show is "Trashy Housewives of Wala-Wala" or "The Search for Big Foot's Great Grandmother". or,whatever. It's much more accurate to have the little box that actually records what channel the TV is set to.

My fiance did the Nielsen log some time ago. It is my understanding that it is a step in determining which families will receive the computer which automatically logs and transmits viewing data directly from the television.

It is my understanding that entering movies watched on TCM is important because that data is not used directly because TCM does not receive ratings but it does indicate that programming other than broadcast networks and cable networks is being viewed. One of the ratings for programs is a percentage of all televisions being watched at that time. Logging TCM reduces that percentage.

I have read that they wish to have the monitoring computer log also Internet use. My fiance decided to refuse to participate if asked because of that. It was of no matter as he has received no more requests from them.

I've been bombarded with phone calls for the past week or so by Nielsen but I've never responded to the phone and rarely will to an unsolicited call. Well they sent me a survey anyway, I hope they sent you $5.00 with the unsolicited survey like they did me, I'm going to buy bananas.

>My fiance did the Nielsen log some time ago. It is my understanding that it is a step in determining which families will receive the computer which automatically logs and transmits viewing data directly from the television.

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the info!

"Nielsen ratings" you ask, TB?

Well, personally I've always rated Leslie at the top(Shirley...I mean, surely you do too, right?!), followed by Brigitte(she wasn't half bad before Sly got ahold of her and started into that whole plastic surgery phase, ya know) and then followed by Harry "Everybody's Talkin' At Me" Nilsson...oh wait, that's spelled differently isn't it...sorry...forget him here.

To facilitate the more accurate collection of data on who is watching what on which TV, Neilsen is developing a rfid microchip it will inject into each member of the household (and frequent visitors, optional) that can be read by the computer. An added benefit is a GPS monitor that can tell if someone is viewing from the couch, the recliner, or laying on the carpet.

My favorite brand has always been Panasonic, but I haven't been able to find another brand that will finalize a disc made on one of those.

In more recent years, regardless of brand, most DVD recorders are made, usually in China, by the same large Japanese company, Funai Electronics.

They either own the trademarks or do so under license for names such as Sylvania, Emerson, Magnavox, GE, RCA Philips and Toshiba. I've been told that since many of these have the exact same electronics, it's likely that some will finalize discs made on the others, but again it's pretty much hit or miss when it comes to finding one that will..

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings