3. TRAFFIC

4. WHAT WOMEN WANT

5. GLADIATOR

6. SMALL TIME CROOKS

7. I DREAMED OF AFRICA

8. PROOF OF LIFE

9. REMEMBER THE TITANS

10. ALL THE PRETTY HORSES

Honorable Mentions: HANGING UP; THE PATRIOT; PAY IT FORWARD; and THE PERFECT STORM.

Here are my 10 best movies of the Millenium:

1. Gladiator

2. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

3. The Departed

4. No Country For Old Men

5. The Lord of the Rings trilogy

6. The Jason Bourne trilogy.

Honorable mention to Brokeback Mountain, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, and The Artist.

1. You Can Count on Me

2. Almost Famous

3. Traffic

4. Yi Yi

5. Gladiator

6. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

7. O? Brother Where Art Thou?

8. Wonder Boys

9. Dancer in the Dark

10. Best in Show

Hon. Mentions: Requiem for a Dream, High Fidelity, Billy Elliot, With a Friend Like Harry, Cast Away

Here's what I suggest from 2001:

imgres11.jpg

1. GOSFORD PARK

2. THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

3. MONSTERS, INC.

4. MOULIN ROUGE!

5. BRIDGET JONES'S DIARY

6. IN THE BEDROOM

7. MULHOLLAND DRIVE

8. IRIS

9. LEGALLY BLONDE

10. THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS and ENEMY AT THE GATES (tie)

Honorable Mentions: OCEANS ELEVEN; I AM SAM; THE CURSE OF THE JADE SCORPION; and A BEAUTIFUL MIND.

1. Memento

2. Mulholland Drive

3. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

4. Gosford Park

5. In the Bedroom

6. A. I.: Artificial Intelligence

7. Amelie

8. Moulin Rouge

9. A Beautiful Mind

10. Donnie Darko

Hon. Mentions: Sexy Beast, Lantana, The Man Who Wasn't There, Royal Tenenbaums, Frailty

Save the Last Dance

Saving Silverman

Super Troopers

A Knight's Tale

Shrek

Moulin Rouge!

American Pie 2

Rat Race

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

Zoolander

Monsters Inc

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Jimmy Neutron

Donnie Darko

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Spider-Man

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

National Lampoon's Van Wilder

Catch Me If You Can

Bend it Like Beckham

>I hated the decade. The movies all sucked. Most of them remakes or sequels of some computer animated junk

I am glad you said that. I made a point when writing my lists for 2000-2013 that I avoided sequels and most animated films. But I think there are some valid exceptions. The Lord of the Rings films can each stand on their own, and I think something like MONSTERS, INC is a classic, because it is very well made and seems to hold up after ten years.

>I prefer 1940s

I like films from the 40s, too...but honestly, I do not think it is the best decade of American film. I think the 1990s had the strongest output, buoyed by independent filmmaking, and though there were wars, the output was less jingoistic than what we find with movies from the 40s.

Moving on to 2002:

images-25.jpg

1. CHICAGO

2. THE PIANIST

3. ABOUT A BOY

4. THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS

5. MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING

6. SIGNS

7. UNFAITHFUL

8. THE BOURNE IDENTITY

9. FAR FROM HEAVEN

10. ROAD TO PERDITION

Honorable Mentions: 8 MILE; SWEET HOME ALABAMA; WHITE OLEANDER; and GANGS OF NEW YORK.

1. The Hours

2. Gangs of New York

3. Far From Heaven

4. Punch Drunk Love

5. Road to Perdition

6. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

7. The Pianist

8. Adaptation

9. Minority Report

10. Talk to Her

Hon. Mentions: Y tu mama Tambien, , Bloody Sunday, Catch Me if You Can, Insomnia, Chicago,

The year 2003:

images-31.jpg

1. THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING

2. THE LAST SAMURAI

3. MYSTIC RIVER

4. FINDING NEMO

5. COLD MOUNTAIN

6. SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE

7. LOVE ACTUALLY

8. LOST IN TRANSLATION

9. FREAKY FRIDAY

10. TEARS OF THE SUN and SEABISCUIT (tie)

Honorable Mentions: IN THE CUT; RUNAWAY JURY; MONA LISA SMILE; and OPEN RANGE.

1. Mystic River

2. In America

3. Lost in Translation

4. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

5. The Magdalene Sisters

6. City of God

7. The Station Agent

8. Swimming Pool

9. Finding Nemo

10. Kill Bill, Vol. 1

H.M: Dogville, Dirty Pretty Things, Master and Commander, Seabiscuit, , Something's Gotta Give

I am sorry to see that few people in this forum appreciate sophisticated animation.

I have arranged these by date as it is not possible for me to rank them in order.

*The Emperor's New Groove* (2000)

*Chicken Run* (2000)

*Monsters, Inc.* (2001)

*Shrek* (2001)

*Spirited Away* (2001)

*The Cat Returns* (2002)

*Ice Age* (2002)

*Howl's Moving Castle* (2004)

*Corpse Bride* (2005)

*WALL-E* (2008)

I did cite MONSTER'S INC. I also have WALL-E on an upcoming list. I cannot speak for other posters, but I certainly am not snubbing animated films. This said, I do not think they are, on a whole, on equal footing with live-action motion pictures. It's almost like saying a comic book is just as influential as the Bible. Not all forms of literature are equal, and most definitely, not all forms of movie-making are equal. Yet evidence of artistry can be found in all of these.

> TopBilled wrote:

> I did cite MONSTER'S INC

That makes you one of the few which I meant when I stated: "few people in this forum". I am very sorry if I did not phrase it properly or implied that none do.

I did notice one poster listed: Shrek.

I do not see animation as being in any way less than live-action movies. I find a significant difference between them is the absence of ego. The stars of a live-action movie become well known while the artists who create animation are unknown outside their trade. I feel this means that the artists are working for the love of their craft and are not doing their job with hopes of fame and fortune.

I did not mention SHREK, but I do have RATATOUILLE on my list for 2007. And very recently, I ranked FINDING NEMO quite high among my selections for '03.

Personally, I think films that combine animation and live action (where it makes sense story-wise) are among the best-- because that is the magic of cinema, to ground the situation in reality but show where else it can go.

For instance, I like SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS where we see the animated sequence that McCrea's character watches with the other men.

And in MY DREAM IS YOURS,there is a wonderful sequence involving Bugs Bunny and Tweety where Jack Carson is reading a bedtime story to Doris Day's child.

I'm a big fan of THE BOURNE IDENTITY. While this is an action film the interaction between Jason and Marie is so true, so real. It is also very touching. The action is cool (e.g. the scene near the end where Jason uses that man as a shield in the drop down 4 floors and shoots a guy while decending is unique), but it is the human element that make the movie more than just an action flick.

>I'm a big fan of THE BOURNE IDENTITY. While this is an action film the interaction between Jason and Marie is so true, so real. It is also very touching. The action is cool (e.g. the scene near the end where Jason uses that man as a shield in the drop down 4 floors and shoots a guy while decending is unique), but it is the human element that make the movie more than just an action flick.

Well stated. I am not typically a fan of Matt Damon or many of his films, but this one is very well crafted-- for the reasons you mention.