Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
misswonderly3

About Lists

Personally, I prefer good ol' 'MERICAN gibberish expressions, by gum! You dagnabbed hornswagglers kin talk all that furrin hogwash 'till the cows come home, 'n' I'll turn a deaf ear. Tarnation!

Sepiatone

In The Time of Their Lives (1946), Lou Costello plays Horatio Prim, a Revolutionary War era tinker. He utters the expression Odds Bodkins numerous times. A bodkin is a tool for piercing leather.

fxreyman, that was great ! What a wonderful story. And a wise one, too.

Odds Bodkin ! Even his "performer's" name is story-like.

(ps: I kind of hope that the young man's mare remained -the story doesn't say she ran into the forest too - and maybe bore a foal for him. But then, how would he know if that was a blessing?)

>In The Time of Their Lives (1946), Lou Costello plays Horatio Prim, a Revolutionary War era tinker. He utters the expression Odds Bodkins numerous times

Thank you, redhook. Finally someone has named a film in which the expression is used.

And as soon as I read your comment I remembered it to be true because Lou actually ends the film saying "Odds bodkins."

By the way, even for non-Abbott and Costello fans, The Time of Their Lives is worth a viewing (aside from the odds bodkins references). It's a very unusual film for them as they do not work as a comedy team in it. Lou and Marjorie Reynolds play a pair of ghosts from the Revolutionary War who haunt a house to which Bud, among others, arrive in 1946.

The film works as both a charming gentle ghost comedy, as well as on more sentimental level, with Costello's characterization stronger than expected and the actor quite affecting in his role.

Time_of_Their_Lives.JPG

The film's final shot. "Odds bodkins!"

TomJH wrote:

>Thank you, redhook. Finally someone has named a film in which the expression is used.

Odsbodkins is used in the Harry Potter novels, and probably in the films.

This seems a good moment to draw attention to a thread that has been dedicated to _Lists_ for over 3 years (started in January 2011.)

It was started by long-time poster fxreyman. You can read his comments about lists and his thread for them if you click the "in response to" "button" on the upper right of this comments box.

He does provide a link to his thread, but I'll do the same:

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=157528&tstart=0

Anyway, it's clear if you read his thread, that there is plenty of discussion (and jokes !) generated on it. Sometimes you'll see a straightforward unadorned "list" of something or other, but then what follows more often than not is a fun conversation around the list.

So there you go, "the best of both worlds."

kudos to fxreyman for that.

Or how about a list about Liszt?

Franz-Liszt-9383467-2-402.jpg

Hungarian Rhapsody (no, not the Queen song)

La Campanella

Liebestraume

Orpheus (symphonic poem #4)

Faust Symphony

Piano Concerto #1

There you go folks, the ultimate Liszt.

misswonderley wrote:

>Or how about a list about Liszt?

*Listzomania* would be at the top of my Listz list. But, for the most part, I tend to remain listless.

Thanks MissWonderly about mentioning my thread.