Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Cruise 2014

I got an email about the next cruise in October this am. They're going to start taking reservations for returning cruisers on April 1.

It seems we just got back from the last one. I'm torn. I've been on all 3 cruises but I really didn't like the ship and some of the changes in the way they did things this last time, so I'm torn. I'm afraid I'll miss something if I don't go, but if I do go, it will still be the same ship and the problems I perceived on the cruise. Anyway, just a heads up for those who might want to go for the first time.

• 2 weeks later...

Eric--sorry I just came back to this board after taking a couple of weeks off. Hoping you'll see this.

The things that were problems to me weren't as important to 98% of the other passengers. I found the ship to be for younger fitter people than myself and the many elderly on board. There were many people with mobility problems and none of the doorways seemed to be easy to open except there was a big button to push to open the door to the buffet area dining area. The elevators were tiny, tiny, tiny. If someone came on it with a scooter or wheelchair, then no one else could ride. My room was tiny and while there was a bathtub, you wouldn't fit in it unless you were a kid, and the bottom of the tub was quite slippery. I was terrified of falling in there.

Nearly every venue was small with no comfortable seating. Even though most events were done twice, you had to get there about an hour ahead of time to assure yourself a good seat, or any seat at all. I missed more than a couple of talks because of that.

This past cruise was the first time there were assigned dining times, whic meant missing events scheduled during my assigned time. I suppose they did this because of the rotating dining venue thing they do on Disney ships. There were 3 main dining rooms and you ate at a different one on a rotating basis. And if you missed your time and went to where the buffet restaurant was, they only had table service rather than going to a buffet. The nights I went to my assigned dinner time, I usually was at the table alone and when I went to the buffet area, the wait staff put me way off in a dark corner alone. So I basically ate by myself every evening. I really loved the open seating on the Celebrity ship because I had dinner companions and met many folks that way.

There was no welcome aboard drink, although the last night party did have free cocktails. There was no alumni function, but since it was a disaster on the second cruise I guess they decided to forgo that this time.

However, the staff on the ship were very nice and I thought the food was pretty good for the most part. And this cruise was the first time that I saw a lot of the celebrities and TCM staff out and about on the ship a lot, at least more than the previous two cruises.

But take all of my complaints with a grain of salt. I had a chip on my shoulder about being on a Disney ship anyway. It's not my thing and having in your face at all times was annoying. If I never hear "When You Wish Upon a Star" again, it will still be too soon. It was a lot of money to spend to hardly see what I wanted to see and miss events because there was no where to sit or it conflicted with my assigned meal time. I only found out on the last day (or it may have been when I was waiting to gett off the ship) that the staff was more lenient with the dining time. I just felt really lonely a lot, and I go on cruises all the time.

I have had the pleasure to attend the last two TCM. I may not be as refined, but I really liked the cruise in December. Loved our stateroom, the split bath was great. We looked forward to our dining rotation and enjoyed the food and wait staff. We actually made the time to get to dinner this cruise. That did force us to make some decisions on what to do but we always had to make decisions, as there was always something else going on that we could not make. We loved the pool side movies on Disney cruise. We did miss the bigger venues from the Celebrity but we just made it work and had such a great time. We are those few that loved the cruise, the food, the staff and had an even better time on Disney than the Celebrity. Is the ship for everyone - probably not. I had my reservations when it was first announced, but we had such a good time, we can't Not going again. My adult daughter loves sea food and she felt the Disney cruise really spoke to her seafood self ! Two very different experiences, but we loved our Disney cruise. It was sheer genius for us to meet our dinner mates - we all got together and wanted to come to dinner to share our experiences. We met poolside and watched movies - maybe that made a difference. On the Celebrity, we never made dinner and the buffet never lent itself to sitting with different folks. The elevators were small, the venues could be uncomfortable but we still loved the experience and looking forward to returning. We were sorry to hear not everyone had as good as an experience as us. We never stopped talking about this one - all our friends knew we really enjoyed ourselves.

• 2 weeks later...

I went on the Dec 2013 cruise as a 45th birthday present to myself. I am not sure that I have ever spent a more blissful week. I thought the ship lovely, the people on board very friendly and Disney's attention to detail perfect.

I had been warned that cruise food was meh, but the food on the Disney cruise was fabulous. And this comes from a super picky eater. I didn't have a single unhappy meal. Our table mates were so fun and we enjoyed seeing them each evening to recap our day.

I adore Robert and Ben and all of the stars on board. Loved the talks, sneak previews, photo ops, movies by the pool, the dancing, and just meeting folks who all talk easily as we share a common interest. I won the coverall on the first Bingo with Ben and had a magical time each and every day! I read a great novel ( I am in the new promo in the purple dress and while sandals reading!) and spent hours in a comfy chaise reading and staring at the beautiful ocean. The beds were comfy, plenty of room in my stateroom and happiness to be found around every corner, if you decided to look for it.

Key things that made my week the best: I brought a happy and joyous attitude aboard and kept it every day. I planned ahead in what I brought and dressed up in sundresses and did my make up instead of my usual shorts and tees. That made it feel more special. I brought a fun novel to read in my down time, so I was never bored. My roommate and I often did things apart and met up at dinner so we never got sick of each other. And I strolled the 10th deck late set night- admiring the stars and saying my evening prayers under the sparkles and crash of waves. Nothing like nature to remind you of what is important in life.

The week was fantastic and the TCM folks go above and beyond with the program. Some people went yo movies all day, others at the pool and other snoozed in a deck chair. If you didn't find fun and happiness, Ask yourself deep down why. While everyone experiences things differently, there was enough happiness to be had by all in their own way. If my work schedule permitted I would go again in a heartbeat. I

Hit send too fast night: solves for some of the issues: 1. Set your schedule before you go. I used the TCM guide to decide my schedule a few days before boarding to make sure I would miss nothing. 2. Go to the first time an event happens, if possible. Last chance to see something was always more full. 3. Go early, go early, go early! I arrived 15-20 before start times and was always in rows 1-5. 4. Elevators were TINY. By being early I didn't stress if I had to wait a time or two to get where I was going. 5. Dinners were more flexible than it appeared. We didn't want to miss Robert O, so we went to dinner 45 min late. They still served us the full meal. Switching seating for a meal, Palo or room service would have been an option, too. There is a number on the phone for this. They can, also, switch your table if you don't like or lack table mates. 6. Always appear friendly and open and with a smile. I spent the majority of the time alone, but had some fantastic conversations with so many people! 7. Give in and let your inner child out. Meeting the characters for fun photo ops is a silly treat! The Mickey shaped food- eat those waffle Mickey ears with a grin on your face. Life is too short not to be a kid again when you get the chance. 8. Lose your cabin mates and do your own thing. Loved the friend who came with me, but we had different interests. So we did a lot of things apart. Made for better before bed conversation. And no one had to not do something they wanted to. 9. Dress up a little.I had a couple of unexpected photo ops- with a celeb, with Disney characters, with a major celeb. I was camera ready ( yet comfy) in my cotton sundresses! And it made the ship time feel more special. Beautiful atmosphere deserves a little effort and it felt more classic movie than a tee and shorts. 10.

Take in the beauty of nature. The ocean made for many beautiful, peaceful moments- as did sunrise, sunset, and the stars. If you were overwhelmed with sights and sounds- this would hit the reset button quickly.

Just some ideas for happier cruising next time. :)

Edited by: AngelaLanders on Mar 30, 2014 9:52 AM

Edited by: AngelaLanders on Mar 30, 2014 9:54 AM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings