Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Early Clues about Summer Under the Stars

Guest obrienmundy

The Essentials schedule went up today. From the list we can start to piece together who will be featured on Saturdays in August. Here are the films:

8/2 The Pink Panther (Possibilities for Star of the Day: David Niven, Peter Sellars. Longshot: Claudia Cardinale)

8/9 The Thin Man (Possibilities for Star of the Day: William Powell, Myrna Loy)

8/16 Foreign Correspondent (Possibilities for Star of the Day: Joel McCrea, Laraine Day, George Sanders, Herbert Marshall, Edmund Gwenn)

8/23 Marty (Definitely Earnest Borgnine's day)

8/30 How to Marry a Millionaire (Possibilities for Star of the Day: Lauren Bacall, Betty Grable, Marilyn Monroe, William Powell)

Good job obrien.

August 2nd could also be Robert Wagner, but I think they will go with Peter Sellers-- he is a favorite of TCM programmers.

Yup, August 9th could be either Powell or Loy-- or maybe both, since they made quite a few films together. My guess: it will be Mr. Powell.

August 16th is a tough one, but I think we can rule out Laraine Day. They like to pick stars that are glamorous and that today's teenagers know. My guess is it will be Joel McCrea. Last year in the middle of August they devoted an entire day to Randolph Scott, so this year it will be McCrea and a batch of westerns again.

You are right about August 23rd. We can even go a step further and guess the rest of the Ernest Borgnine titles they will pick: BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK (very overplayed) will be included; TORPEDO RUN will be included; A CATERED AFFAIR will probably be chosen to show off his dramatic skills alongside Bette Davis; THE WILD BUNCH will definitely be screened; and I bet they will lead off the day with FROM HERE TO ETERNITY, which was one of his earliest roles in a major film. The 23rd is quite easily the most predictable day in August.

The 30th will not be Powell-- he will get the day earlier in the month. It will not be Monroe because she has already had a SUTS tribute. They will pick Grable if they are going with a Fox star, but my bet is that it will be Bacall, so they can dust off all those films she made with Bogey.

>There is one small way though for TCM to shake up the 23rd of August: get Fox to loan them The Poseidon Adventure for the first time.

Yes, though highly unlikely. My guess is that the SUTS tribute for Borgnine will be a nearly title-for-title repeat of the 24-hour memorial tribute they had for him in 2012.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings