Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Svengoolie / House of Dracula

I must be getting used to the guy because I laughed at a few of his jokes. The funny thing about the movie came to me after Sven mentioned that the final fire scene was lifted from Ghost of Frankenstein and was used as the end scene of House of D. with Chaney Jr. in Monster make-up. If you're quick enough you'll see in the scene where the now mad Doctor imagines the Monster rampaging through the town that some of that footage was lifted from the original frankenstein film and it's definitely Karloff as the Monster. Glen Strange is the Monster in House of D so with the exception of one actor, Bela Lugosi, you have all the actors that portrayed Frankenstein during Universal's "Golden Monster Age" in the same movie all playing the Monster! I don't know why Universal skunked Bela for this film as Drac. I think he'd have come cheaper than Carradine. They seemed to scalp him pretty badly salary-wise.

I would guess that Bela Lugosi's health was an issue around this time. That and his increasing addiction problems (pain killers) kept him out of some films . It was quite remarkable that he recovered somewhat to play Dracula in the Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein film, Bela looks rather good in that performance. After that is was all down hill however.

• 2 months later...

I must be getting used to the guy because I laughed at a few of his jokes.

Yeah, he definitely grows on you and you know little kids are laughing at much of the sillyness you're rolling your eyes over. I like the variety of the breaks-some historical tidbits, show biz interviews, his face in the still scene....

Bela may have been temporarily on the outs with Universal for having appeared in 'The Return of the Vampire' for a different studio. It was essentially a reprise of Count Dracula that Universal forced to be changed - in name at least.