Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Changes to Robert Osborne's Set

BartonKeyes

I've noticed in recent weeks that the set where Robert Osborne tapes his TCM intros has been undergoing a bit of a makeover, with a new paint job and a slightly larger space to work with.

But by far the most noticeable change I first saw tonight in the intro to The Adventures of Robin Hood. For good or ill, it seems that the people who decide these things at TCM have gotten rid of those red chairs that Robert Osborne has been sitting in since, presumably, shortly after the Earth cooled.

Personally, I like the changes in appearance. It's more visually stimulating to the viewing audience when the guy introducing movies isn't standing in the same space with the same background night after night for years.

To some this may seem somewhat a silly topic of discussion, but I'm an interior decorator, so this stuff is important to me.

I just noticed the change last night when he introduced "Pygmalion". Robert referred to it as his new living room.

I guess the chairs were replaced because the springs starting to come though. Lol, how many special guess has set in them.

Question: Who would buy them if they are put up on Ebay? :D

By the way, if one wants some old TCM items http://www.ebay.com/bhp/turner-classic-movies

And without Robert's intro to Robin Hood, I might have completed my long, long life without ever knowing that Olivia de Havilland was riding through Sherwood Forest on Trigger.

My big kick watching the picture comes, however, from knowing that Basil Rathbone was so superior to Errol Flynn in sword fighting that he once said to him, "Yes, you win the fights in the movies and you get the girl, but don't forget I can kill you any time I want to." He said Flynn didn't argue.

Sword fights can be really dangerous if the actors aren't being super-cautious. Ray Milland hated Brian Donlevy and during the making of Beau Geste he put Donlevy in the hospital ... some say on purpose. Donlevy apparently got the message and apologized when he got back to work for being a scumbag.

To me it's like going into a good friend's house, after a while, I just don't notice the living room decor anymore unless they do something big like get new furniture or repaint. But that's me, my wife, on the other hand, will spot the smallest detail that's been changed.

I'm not super, super observant of the TCM sets, 'tho they seem warm and inviting and I especially like that warm, fuzzy feeling for introducing the movies. Reminds me of Chicagoland's fatherly Frasier Thomas and the family classics movies...anybody remember him?

But, I have noticed before a dog bed on the TCM set? Where's the doggie?

>But, I have noticed before a dog bed on the TCM set? Where's the doggie?

The dog bed is on Ben's set. Ben is a dog lover and owner. When they revamped his set about two years ago, they included the dog bed because of that.

The dog that Ben owned back then died the closing night of last year's Film Festival.

From what I understand, Ben has healed from the loss and now has a new dog.