Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hayao Miazaki to Retire

slaytonf

This isn't anything new, but I thought it fitting to recognize him with the U. S. release of his last work. I first saw his films on TCM when a few of them were shown on the Import series, including Porco Rosso, and My Neighbor Totoro. I was instantly amazed and enthralled, as everyone else is. His recombination of historical elements and fantasy to create alternate pasts, or parallel worlds is unique and fascinating. I don't know of anyone having seen any of his films, who is not excited by them. It's sad to have him retire, due, I hear to failing eyesight. I naturally want him to go on creating for years. But at least we have what he has made. He will be remembered as one of the greatest animators; maybe not as important historically as Disney, but certainly on a creative level, equal. As a movie reviewer for a local paper once wrote, if the only thing he ever did was create the cat bus, he would have been one of the best. How much better he is then, with everything else he has done. Thank you, thank you, thank you Mr. Miyazaki for bringing magic, wonder, and delight to this world.

It is happy happenstance that I saw this tribute to his work on Imgur yesterday:

TotoroDress004.jpg

For those who do not know: It is to mimic Totoro in: *My Neighbor Totoro* (1988). The black puffballs with eyes are Soot Sprites which appear in several Hayao Miazaki movies.

It's too bad he's planning on retiring. Maybe he'll be one of those people who say they're retiring and then in a year or two, they're back.

Will Studio Ghibli continue to produce films? or with Miyazaki's retirement, is Studio Ghilbi done too?

I'll have to admit, I'm not the biggest anime fan as I'm not into shows with bizarre creatures that have to be fought constantly and the very anatomically incorrect girls/women that are featured, who oftentimes are all giggly and dingy. Many of the anime series have such convoluted plots and I find them hard to follow. Anyway, for whatever reason, I unfairly lumped the Miyazaki films into this category and haven't seen many of them. I am making amends however and have seen a few of them and am happy to report that Miyazaki's films do NOT share the same traits I listed above.

I've seen "Ponyo," "The Secret World of Arrietty" and "House on Poppy Hill." I really liked 'Arrietty.' It was also the story of "The Borrowers," so that made it easy to follow. I look forward to "The Wind Rises" that comes out on the 28th.

I think I like Miyazaki's films because many of them take place in different time periods. Aside from watching a delightful, often times sweet, story unfold, one can also learn about Japanese history at the same time. I love History, so learning about the past while also being entertained is a win-win to me.

I am glad you are discovering Miyazaki. He is most definitely not anime. He is a genius, a magician. But be careful of the history. He creates alternate histories and geographies with both real and imagined elements.

Some of the titles you list are products of Studio Ghibli, but not by Miyazaki. He made Ponyo, but not the others. To get a list of his work, you can search his name on the TCM Database, or on IMDB. My favorite of his are Spirited Away, Porco Rosso, and Castle in the Sky.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings