Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

liz325

And when The Ghost and Mrs. Muir was first released it was billed as a romantic comedy. This movie is wonderful and Rex and Gene just become perfect when around each other. This is so much better than that tv show. Also someone said that their was evidence going both ways as to whether the Captian did or did not exsist.

Gaaah! I've waited so long for this to air, and I forgot to set my DVD to record it. I don't usually care for overtly romantic pictures, but this one has such a wistful, yearning ache to it that I forgive its just-so ending. Well, there's nothing wrong with making things come out all right once in a while. The chemistry between Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison is rare in film. There is a wonderful antagonism/attraction between them that creates the tension necessary to make romances work. Playing a good supporting role are Joseph Mankiewicz' direction and Charles Lang's ethereal cinematography. And a sumptuous score by Bernard Herrmann.

Please, please, TCM, show this beautiful movie again.

A real nicely done film, one of Gene Tierney's best. I wonder if this film has ever been seriously restored? I thought the print that was shown was only fair. I know that Fox Movie Channel shows it often but its great to see it on TCM in case some people can't see the Fox channel.

>A real nicely done film, one of Gene Tierney's best. I wonder if this film has ever been seriously restored? I thought the print that was shown was only fair.

I agree. The black levels were continually shifting, scenes with Harrison or Sanders in black jackets were impossible for me to watch as the shifts in tone were making it appear as if something (such as The Blob) was crawling over them.

I recorded it too, so now I have another coaster. Oh well, guess I'll have to spring for the BluRay that came out this past December. According to DVD Savant:

"20th Century Fox Studio Classics' Blu-ray of The Ghost and Mrs. Muir is a big improvement over their old Studio Classics DVD issued exactly ten years ago. The image is richer, cleaner, and more stable -- the hightened contrast and enhanced sharpness bring out more shadow detail in Charles Lang's crisp cinematography."

Been wracking my brain to remember, just TWO nights ago, what movie I was watching where there were grain shifts in one scene. It happened a couple of times throughout the movie.

But nonetheless, "Muir" was a wonderful movie. Good enough for me to forgive George Sanders' appearance. This one, and MY FAIR LADY are the only Rex Harrison movies in which I can stomache Harrison.

So far...

Sepiatone

The score to *The Ghost and Mrs. Muir* was Bernard Herrmann's favorite of all that he composed. Several of you have mentioned the reasons why this is one of the best romantic films ever made.

I believe this is one of the films that Fox kept for its own movie channel for many years. With *The Ghost and Mrs. Muir* and *Laura* on the TCM schedule, that probably means that Fox will now license any of its films for the right price.

Right.........I found this gem about 7 or 8 years ago at Barnes and Noble. I had never seen the film before, and the dvd cover advertised it as a romantic comedy. I started to leave it on the shelf. I'm not fond of romantic comedies, but being a die-hard Natalie Wood, Gene Tierney and George Sanders fan, I decided to take a chance and add it to my collection. I'm sure glad I did! The film is so far removed from the tv series emotionally; it's extremely poignant, and boasts one of the best film scores ever. I still get tears in my eyes when I watch it.............

Now that TCM has finally shown this film, I'm sure it will be on again. It's such a beautiful film. Superb performances all around. Rex Harrison isn't a huge favorite of mine, but he's perfect in the role. Good chemistry between him and the beautiful Gene Tierney, too. This movie just really gets to me every time. Thanks TCM for finally airing my favorite film.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings