Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Met my first crush Stefanie Powers at "Die! Die! My Darling!" screening...

Dargo2

...last night during the Sedona Film Festival.

After the film was presented, on stage Miss Powers had quite a few interesting and funny little anecdotes about her co-star in the film Tallulah Bankhead, and went on to talk for about an hour about her years under contract during the studio era at Columbia, MGM and 20th Century Fox. Being the President of the William Holden Wildlife Foundation, she also touched upon that aspect of her life.

Have to say it had been years since I've watched "Die! Die! My Darling!" and had forgotten much of the film(it also features a very young Donald Sutherland) and was actually somewhat impressed with how well the very young at the time Miss Powers seemed so natural in it, And, even though Miss Bankhead really hams it up in it, a la Bette Davis in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane", a film which Miss Powers would mention inspired the Hammer Production of "Die!..", overall I thought it well directed by Silvio Narizzano, who's best known work would probably be "Georgy Girl".

Later, and after Miss Powers finished her talk on stage, she welcomed her fans in the theater lobby, and so my wife asked her if it would be okay if her husband had his picture taken with his "first crush", to which which Miss Powers said, "Oh, so YOU'RE him, eh?!", and to which I replied, "Yeah, among the million of other men my age who remember daydreaming of dating "The Girl From U.N.C.L.E." while sitting in their high school classes."

(...my hair was "a little" darker back in those days) ;)

?ui=2&ik=b06605d401&view=fimg&th=1446c74

This is a cute story! I too have been able to meet various celebrities over the years. Similar to the off-stage gathering of fans. That had to be very special!

I remember several instances where I was able to actually stand across from and initiate a conversation with a celebrity. One time occurred while my best friend asked me to accompany him to a screening of the 1985 film White Nights. In attendance for the screening at Chicago's Art Institute was the film's director, Taylor Hackford and one of the stars of the film, a beautiful Helen Mirren. After the screening there was a Q & A session followed by hors d'oeuvres.

It was at this point I went right up to Miss Mirren and asked if I could ask her some questions. She was very nice and did allow me to speak with her. I remember asking her how difficult it was for her to learn speaking Russian for the role in White Nights. Of course I asked her about her experience on the previous film she had appeared in, 1984's 2010 with Roy Scheider, and how both films were related in that she appeared as a Russian in both.

She was very gracious with her time and I felt like I was on cloud nine afterwards. My friend who at the time was the chief film reviewer for the college he was attending at the time failed to ask anything of Miss Mirren. Too bad. I had a blast.

I also got to speak with one of my heroes in 1983. While going to my college they had a sci-fi experience or gathering where they showed 1982's Star Trek II the Wrath of Khan. The special guest that day was none other than Montgomery Scott, chief engineer of the starship Enterprise, James Doohan. Got the chance to speak with him as well.

Some people are more accessible than others. It sounds as though Miss Powers was very nice and accommodating.

I am certainly incredibly painfully ragingly mouthwateringly jealous of both of you for having met Helen Mirren and Stephanie Powers between the two of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...................Good for both of you. .....................................I am still jealous though but I'll get over it in a decade or two.

>So did she pose with you? Will you post it here? :D

So who do ya think that smiling old geezer standin' next to Stefanie is down there, Hibi?!!! ;)

It ain't her close friend and ex-"Hart to Hart" co-star R.J., lady!!! LOL

>What did she say about Tallu?

She mentioned the director had to handle Tallulah with kid gloves, but overall she was very professional on the set. She also mentioned that they would remain friends until her death, but that Tallulah had a lifelong habit of referring to her fellow actors she had worked with by their character's names. And so, whenever Stefanie would either call or visit her in her N.Y. apartment, Tallulah would call her "Patricia", the character she played in "Die!.." instead of Stefanie.

Dargo, you lucky dog you. Stefanie Powers, along with Agent 99 Barbara Feldon and Dodge Rebellion girl Pam Austin were probably my first crushes. I was a little young at the time so I really didn't understand things quite so well yet . I would have been happy if they had been my elementary school teachers, I wouldn't have minded going to school so much. If I were to have the opportunity to meet Stefanie and ask a question or two I would ask her about working with Lee Remick, they did several films together.

Edited by: mrroberts on Feb 26, 2014 3:02 PM

I met her way back in April of 1968 when 2001 had its NYC premiere, complete with red carpet celebrities. She was kind enough to sign autographs for all of those whom then-husband Gary Lockwood nastily turned away.

I hear that Gary is now willing to sign at nostalgia conventions, only 50 bucks for the scrawl of a guy who is more of a "never was" than a "has been."

Mind you, Paul Newman was also refusing to sign that night, but he did so with a smile and some self-deprecating humor.

Try copying and pasting the following URL address for the picture into your internet address line and see if that will bring it up for you, as doing that seemed to work for me...in fact, I noticed just clicking on it worked in bring it up also.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=b06605d401&view=fimg&th=1446c743b280a6ee&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1461074133509996544-local0&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ9SNHIMWg3KDcYTXMrxEyliOODee-ujMIzfnUwzWmQmYXNW_vCmFJOYnrjQb3EpQEIhdrYj4Qe5wsD7LnqATBwCRsDMG3fls_-jXiB1DqJAxJi0E8lKDT-NPmY&ats=1393439161631&rm=1446c743b280a6ee&zw&sz=w1477-h564

(...I mean it's a real shame you ladies can't see my handsome visage LOL..and/or of course the men around here can't see how lovely Stefanie still is at 71 years young)

Thanks, TB!

Yes, a lady from the audience asked her about working with Big Duke in "McLintock!", and she replied he was wonderful to work with, and that she had quite the crush herself on Patrick Wayne during its filming. She went on to say that she would very often be welcomed by Wayne and his wife Pilar to their home in Newport Beach to visit.

>Doesn't it make you wish to high heaven that TCM would show 'Stagecoach' (1966) once in a while instead of the oft-seen original?

I had forgotten she was in that 1966 remake, dark. I think I watched it once years ago when it was presented on the old ABC Sunday Night at The Movies.

(...whatever DID become of Alex Cord anyway, huh???...saaay, MAYBE he's playing tennis in an over-70s league with Gary Lockwood somewhere in the San Fernando Valley now, eh clore?!!!) ;) LOL

Thanks Dargo, it worked! What a fantastic photo . You are handsome! Stephanie looks like she's in her 40's in that photo. and just as beautiful as she was in younger days. Must be her zest for life, I understand she still travels to the animal compound in Africa she and William Holden had.

You make a Great looking couple ( sorry Mrs. Dargo) ;)

Yeah, I think she is very good in MCCLINTOCK!

You mentioned earlier about her contracts during the studio system. Did she talk about how these contracts related to television? I think by the time she came on to the scene, the studios would use them in both feature films and television programs simultaneously, which in a way made it harder for some of them to become bona-fide movie stars.

What is she up to these days? Does she have any new acting projects?

By the way, her real name is Stefania Zofia Federkiewicz.