Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Seven Deadly Sins on film

skimpole

Last Saturday I watched Onibaba for the first time, and I was struck by the lust the recently widowed Jitsuko Yoshimura showed when she ran for her liasions with her deceased husband's crony. Naturally this led me to ponder what are some great cinematic examples of the seven deadly sins. There are some complications about this. Greed and lust are vital to the plot of Chinatown but since mysteries work by keeping the plot opaque until near the end of the movie, the motives of murderers aren't really demonstrated on film.

Gluttony: I haven't seen La Grande Bouffe, which supposedly is a masterpiece of this and lust and well. And of course, there's Mr. Creosote in Monty Python's The Meaning of Life. Daisies should get an honorable mention.

Greed: Obviously, Humphrey Bogart goes too far in The Treasure of Sierra Madre. Nor does the search for treasure really bring out the best of the characters in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Sloth: One scene from The Last Emperor: Even though he's in a Communist prison, Pu-yi still has a servant ties his shoes. Chhabi Biswas can barely stir himself to do anything in The Music Room.

Pride: Citizen Kane, obviously, and at a lower level The Magnificent Ambersons.

Lust: One wants to distinguish from passion, or genuine sexual love, regardless of how illicit priests and mullahs may find it. General Turgidson in Dr. Strangelove is clearly lustful in an unerotic way. Jean-Pierre Leaud is the model of sexual selfishness in The Mother and the ****.

Envy: Tony Curtis is clearly showing this all through The Sweet Smell of Success. Welles' Othello is probably the best treatment of Iago.

Wrath: The twist Rachel Roberts gives when stabbing Richard Widmark in Murder on the Orient Express. Pete Posthelthwaite in Distant Voices, Still Lives R. Lee Emery in Full Metal Jacket. Peter Capaldi in In the Loop. Many movie murders are either committed while insane like Psycho, M, or are very well planned, like JFK, Goodfellas or The Usual Suspects. or are followed by regret, like The Godfather, Part II. But the fate of Paul Dano in There will be Blood and much of Jack Nicholson in The Shining are good examples of wrath.

Edited by: skimpole on Feb 26, 2014 4:17 PM

Onibaba is a great, creepy film. The sins do come up in Bedazzled (1967). As I recall they are sort of incarnate; someone -- Peter Cook I think -- says Lust and Gluttony have to be near the bathroom.

The Seven Deadly Sins is also a theater/dance/piece by Kurt Weill/Bertolt Brecht, later choreographed by George Balanchine.

I believe every one of the 7 deadly sins are contained within this 1996 version of "Titanic". That rich stuck up snob nosed Mrs Foley makes me want to puke with her pride and vanity. Pay attention near the end (2:39:00) when she is holding her precious dog Charley still having no feeling for the human loss of life. No wonder the other lady hit the ceiling YOUR DOG?!?

Edited by: hamradio on Feb 26, 2014 8:26 PM

Interesting post skimpole....

My first thought was the unforgettable Raquel Welch as Lust in BEDAZZLED '67. There's a few others I recall depicted in the movie, such as Gluttony, Envy & Sloth-not sure if they're all in there. (oops I see it was already mentioned)

Would A CHRISTMAS CAROL have been better with "7 Sins" depicted rather than "Ignorance" & "Want"?

And who could forget this guy?

600full-star-trek-ii+-the-wrath-of-khan-

He was so angry, they had to put WRATH in the title.

LUST- Glenn Close in "Fatal Attraction." She's in lust with Michael Douglas even though he doesn't feel the same. I'd say when she cooks his bunny, she may fall into "Wrath" territory as well.

GLUTTONY- Augustus Gloop in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory." He is a glutton and ends up paying the price when he reaches into the chocolate river to taste it.

WRATH- The Queen of Hearts in "Alice in Wonderland." You make her mad and it's off with your head!

PRIDE- Norma Desmond in "Sunset Boulevard" refuses to admit that she's not a big star any more and it ends up causing the downfall of poor Joe Gillis who unwittingly gets involved.

ENVY- Bette Davis in "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?" She's so envious of Joan Crawford's success as an adult that she makes Crawford's life a living hell.

SLOTH- Peter Gibbons in "Office Space." Gibbons is so tired of his 9-5 life, that he seeks therapy to dull the agony. He ends up being "overcured" and decides to stop caring about work completely. He sleeps through an entire day of work, shows up late, tears his cubicle down and plays Tetris during the day.

GREED- Cruella DeVille in "101 Dalmations." Her greed over wanting to make a fur coat with all the puppies led to her downfall.

> GLUTTONY- Augustus Gloop in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory." He is a glutton and ends up paying the price when he reaches into the chocolate river to taste it.

"Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory" has more "seven deadlies" than gluttony displayed. There's the greed Veruca Salt shows us. The pride Violet has in her gum chewing. ALL the kids, and their parents, except Charlie and Grandpa Joe, display a bit of lust( which doesn't always HAVE to be sexual) in their desire to win the grand prize. Even Charlie shows us a bit of envy at times.

There's plenty of LUST on Humbert Humbert's part in LOLITA, which also has a modicum of greed about it.

EATING RAOUL seems to be gluttony AND lust rolled into one.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings