Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OT: Is anyone here going to stay with Windows XP?

FredCDobbs

I've been spending so much time watching old movies, I didn't know that my computer is going to suddenly go obsolete on April 8. See this.....

*http://betanews.com/2014/02/26/microsofts-attempts-to-persuade-xp-users-to-switch-to-windows-8-1-miss-the-mark/*

*"On April 8, 2014, Microsoft will officially end support for Windows XP. After that date, users of the aging OS will no longer receive new security updates, hotfixes, support options, or online technical content updates."*

I looked at a Windows website yesterday and it said the best thing for me to do is 1) buy a copy of Windows 8.1 and 2) buy a new computer that can handle 8.1

I have a technician who I pay to help clear out viruses, and he said he can help me stay with my old Windows XP.

How about everyone else here? What operating system are you using and what do you plan to use in the near future? Is anyone here using 8.1 and did you have to buy a new computer to use it?

Fred

Fred -

Until it craps out or I hit some lotto money I'm sticking with my 11 year old Sony Vaio with XP.

I'm sure there's a lot more I could do with a newer and much faster computer but I've got it right where I like it. It's been a great PC, records TV that I can edit which is really the biggest thing I us it for. It might freeze up from time to time but nothing earth shattering from my point of view.

I've got a good antivirus program so I hope that will keep me safe.

Yancey

I'm staying with Windows XP, at present only concerned will the internet activation work on new installations. If not, there are solutions I've acquired i.e. extra hard drives.

I still use Windows 3.0 on my Tandy 1000HX (maxed out big time :) )

Windows 3.11 on the IBM Pentium MS-DOS/PC-DOS system using V-Tech system Commander and Windows 98SE / MS/PC-DOS/Win 3.11 on Packard Bell (also system commander)

My computer that went out last year had Windows 98SE and XP using the XP's mutiboot capability but my present Dell has XP only. Needed a slim down no nonsense system.

The handful of videos I see are Youtube only, no Netflix, etc. Directv takes care of that.

The higher the upgrade on platforms, the more control the individual loses.

I keep ALL my updates turned off, don't trust them unless I do everything manually.

If you need protection, try Microsoft Security Scanner

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

and Malicious Software Removal Tool

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/malicious-software-removal-tool-details.aspx

I'm hoping the software will still support XP after April.

Edited by: hamradio on Feb 27, 2014 8:48 PM

Edited by: hamradio on Feb 27, 2014 10:56 PM rephrasing rewording.

>How about everyone else here? What operating system are you using and what do you plan to use in the near future? Is anyone here using 8.1 and did you have to buy a new computer to use it?

Hi Fred,

First of all, I'm no geek. My old steady HP Compaq died on me

about a year and a half ago.

Went to Best Buy and bought a Samsung with Windows 8. They

were eager to sell and I got a little over 100 dollars off from the

normal selling price.

Took me awhile to get used to the Windows 8 and I don't use

a lot of the applications but I like it OK now and get along just

fine on the Internet.

Shop around. Many of the companies out there have good deals

and liberal financing.

Jake in the Heartland

Last Saturday I just replaced my 9 year old computer that had XP with a new Dell XPS 8700 desktop with Windows 7, and it's like night and day. The page loading is instantaneous instead of perpetually sluggish, the streaming is much smoother with no freezeups, and my wife was able to install the whole system in less than an hour, with only one phone call required to Dell tech support.

Oh, and *EVERYONE* I talked to recommended getting Windows 7 rather than Windows 8. I'm glad I listened to them.

Hey Fred,

With no support from MS after April on security, etc, I decided to move from XP and went to Win 8.1. Be prepared for frustration as you find your way through this significant change in user interface. I'm told it was done to make this release compatible with "touch screens" so mouse user may suffer. As a first surprise don't expect to see a "Start" button in lower left on login. It's hidden and can be popped up. It took a while for me just to find the "address bar" and much longer to save favorites. I'm beginning to catch on. My experience is echoed by several friends who went this route. .If you don't want to take the plunge, Win 7 is a good step up from XP. I have it on my laptop.

Good Luck.

A TCM fan

Seriously, Becky, I get up every morning and put my password

in after turning it on with my Samsung.

Remember, you can always go back and forth between the

Apps and the old Windows 7 type screen.

I ain't interested in going back to Windows 7.

Jake in the Heartland

Jake,

In XP the "start button" is the icon in the lower left screen that gives you access to power off, search, control panel. etc.

BTW: My old Dell 3000 desktop with XP didn't have RAM (ie memory) or processor speed enough to upgrade to Win 7 or 8.1 according to my PC sayv friends. I went with a new Dell XPS and kept the 3000 as backup.

A TCM fan.

I had an old computer that ran XP until last July. Then I bought a new computer (one without a CPU, I like it!), and it came with Windows 8, which I like. I am hesitant to "upgrade" to 8.1, I like what I have and am satisfied with it and wish they would just knock it off with the updates and whatnot constantly, lol.

Andy I had heard that too. I didn't know what they were talking about until I learned that Windows 8 is meant more for touch screen users. I have no interest in touch screens, but I learned to use the Windows 8 and like it. My mother uses 7 and loves it.

I never cared for the XP much, it seemed clunky. Glad to be rid of it, really.

The one reason I like XP is that I can use the disk for whatever new computers I get. Same as I did with Windows 98. I have had those disks for years.

With Windows 8 you can't do that. The disk is attached to the motherboard. If I have to swap out for a new board, I have to buy a whole new disk and they are expensive. I have had too many board burn out to take that chance.

> Be prepared for frustration as you find your way through this significant change in user interface. I'm told it was done to make this release compatible with "touch screens" so mouse user may suffer.

Have you tried [Classic Shell|http://www.classicshell.net/] by any chance? For the record, I'm still on XP, so I haven't tried it.

I'm not a big fan of everything being optimized for people who like to fondle their screens, either.

I started out on a Mac SE-30 in 1993 and only used a Windows computer once, on a free lance job and found it incredibly difficult & frustrating.

Many people today have come over to the "dark side" using Macs and everyone says it's so easy, they'll never go back.

Including my astrophysicist brother (a REAL rocket scientist) who works & programs in Linux.

If you have a tough time with Windows (as I did) Linux requires even more dedication to understand. If you're like most people, you just want to turn the key & drive instead of knowing how the engine actually works. Mac allows you to do that.

Fred, I had XP on my old, ancient Compaq Pressario until IT crapped out, and I got a new tower already loaded with Windows 7. I did like XP better at first, but I'm getting used to 7 now. But I will admit, XP was easier for me to navigate. And I liked the aestetics better. Even my daughter, a computer tech, said she liked XP better, too.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings