Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

How would you (the TCM viewer) select the Star of the Month?

imgres-2.jpg

Should it be according to who has not had a turn yet?

images-4.jpg

Or is it okay if the star was honored at least once before in the history of TCM?

imgres-1.jpg

What about character actors and actresses?

imgres-3.jpg

Should a star who would have celebrated their 100th birthday be given priority consideration?

obrien,

This is not a contest. This is just a hypothetical question. What do people around here think the criteria should be for selecting the Star of the Month...?

Sorry if the original post seemed misleading.

>It's Susan Hayward's 100th birthday?

No, not until 2017.

I am just asking if that is how someone should be picked-- just because they would have been 100, is that enough reason to get a tribute?

>So we have three years to mount an all-out campaign for 2017, for Susan Hayward..

Yes, three years and four months. Her date of birth: June 30, 1917.

Should it be according to who has not had a turn yet?

That should be a big factor.

Or is it okay if the star was honored at least once before in the history of TCM?

Yes, but only after at least an 8 or 10 year lapse

What about character actors and actresses?

Definitely yes for SUTS, but for SOTM I'd use character actors only as a group, with perhaps one month a year devoted to 4 or 5 different actors, with the 8:00 PM to 6:00 AM time slots set aside once a week to give them some room to stretch out.

Should a star who would have celebrated their 100th birthday be given priority consideration?

Only if he or she hadn't been SOTM for at least 5 years previous to that 100th birthday. But for those stars who've been neglected, that anniversary should jump them to the top of the queue.

Well, I would think one priority would be that they made enough movies for a monthly tribute. Another would be that the movies were well liked and well known. Or at least important to said star's rise to stardom. One could have made 40-50 movies that were well known and successful, and the star well loved by the public, but could have died by the time he/she were 50. I don't think age is important, unless the star is 100 or so, still alive and kicking and was considered hot stuff in his/her heyday. For starters...

Sepiatone

There is a fine line between who is a character actor and who is a leading actor. Many have done both. Lionel Barrymore, e.g., certainly would be a worthy SOTM.

Hello everyone,

This is my very first post so I thought I'd be a little more formal and say hi first. Hi! I am a longtime TCM viewer but I just signed up to post to the forums.

I really enjoyed having Joan Crawford as The Star of the Month. While I wasn't able to catch all of her films that month, it did give me a chance to watch a lot of films of hers that I just hadn't seen yet or that aren't usually shown or are hard to locate. And I'm a massive fan of hers so I may have done a little dance of joy when I heard she was going to be the Star of the Month.

As for choosing other "stars of the month" I would work off the Crawford model. I think it helps to choose someone who has had a long career so you don't just see how they've developed as an actor but how films have developed and how they've been used throughout their career. Elizabeth Taylor would be another good choice because she started as a child actress and her film roles reflected the changing landscape of films and the changing attitudes towards her as an actress. I'm not particularly concerned with the "month" part of things. The actual month doesn't really need to have a significance for the "star" it corresponds to.

Hi arcadia22,

In another thread I had also mentioned that Joan Crawford was a great choice as Star of the Month because her movies spanned so many eras. I especially enjoyed seeing her silent films.

I also agree that the child star who also had a significant film career as an adult is an excellent choice.

I would love to see Natalie Wood as Star of the Month. She probably has been one in the past, but it would have been before I started watching TCM.

Natalie Wood has been a SOTM before.......

Yes, this would have been before I started watching TCM and therefore does not count.

Richard Widmark would be 100 years old this year (Dec 26th) . He must get a top priority.

I too loved the Joan Crawford month. I had seen most of the movies before, but there were three or four that I hadn't seen, such as "A Woman's Face", which I loved. They also had "The Damned Don't Cry" which I hadn't seen since the 1990's and oh what a hoot! Old Joan could do anything.

I also think Andy's idea of character actors/actresses as SUTS is a great idea.

Welcome to Arcadia22, I too am a newcomer and have been having a great time reading and participating here.

Richard Widmark would be 100 years old this year (Dec 26th) . He must get a top priority.

I couldn't agree more, and TCM couldn't make a better selection. Widmark often gets typecast as a street thug because of his captivating Tommy Udo role in Kiss of Death, but he had dramatic roles of almost every type, and excelled in all of them. The fact that he was also one of Hollywood's best people in real life probably shouldn't enter into consideration, but then again maybe it should. :)

Well, the June schedule should be available shortly...any guesses who will be Star of the Month...?

Judging by genders, I'm guessing the June SOTM will be a man, since by that time 3/4 of the 2014 SOTM list will be female (Joan Crawford, Mary Astor, and June Allyson), with only one male (John Wayne).

Since they don't seem to want to go with first time choices like Sanders or Hayward, I'll take a wild stab and say Robert Mitchum, who's been honored twice but not since 2007. Just *please* no more cowboys or dancers for another few years. :)

If it is a first-time honoree, then maybe there will be less griping. If it's someone like Van Johnson-- the complaints will be overwhelming.

I bet that Eva Marie Saint will be Star of the Month before the year is out. There seems to be a pattern that whoever does a live interview with Robert at the TCM Classic Film Festival gets either a SUTS tribute (like Ann Blyth did last year) or a SOTM tribute (like Kim Novak did last year).

This year, Eva is sitting down for a chat during the festival, so I am sure her remarks will be replayed either during August or during a month-long tribute to her.

Hi aradia22, welcome to this message board! :P

One rule I would suggest is to NOT have a star of the month whose films we already see very often, such as Fred Astaire. I love Fred Astaire movies, but we get to see many of them every year, and we've seen repeat showings of the same films very often. So I nix this type of star of the month, UNLESS we get to see some of their rare films that have never been shown on TCM before.

We see a lot of Joan Crawford films over and over, BUT she made so many films, we got to see a lot of rare ones during her month. I like that very much.

I LOVE the idea of having character actors as stars of the month, because that also brings us many other stars who were in the films the character actors were in.

>This year, Eva is sitting down for a chat during the festival, so I am sure her remarks will be replayed either during August or during a month-long tribute to her.

TB,

Eva Marie Saint's *Live From the TCM Film Festival* interview was recorded during the 2013 Film Festival.

The debut of that interview is later this month.

I don't think TCM has announced yet who has been chosen for this year's interview during the FF.

But from the guests announced, it should be someone interesting!

How dare they pick Van Johnson as SOTM? Such an honor should be restricted to REAL stars like June Allyson.........Seriously, I would have no problem with Van Johnson as SOTM.

Thanks lzcutter for the updated information. I am glad she agreed to an interview. I did not realize it had been recorded some time ago.

I still think Eva Marie Saint will wind up as a SOTM later this year.

And for those who did not see the new thread I just created, Rock Hudson is the honoree this June.