Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

CHAYOTES OF MISFIRE

Palmerin

I notice that CHARIOTS OF FIRE is not included in the tribute to the Oscar. That is very good, for that is one of the dullest and most boring movies ever made. Its distributors in my Puerto Rico were aware of that, so they waited until it was given the Oscar to show it.

I was one of the first people to watch it; many in that public, myself included, were so angry by the tedium they had had to endure that they demanded their money back. The very embarrassed movie house owners were glad to comply.

What is the chayote? A failed imitation of the potato--a vegetable so bland and tasteless that it can be very accurately described as having no flavor at all.

Maybe in PR it denotes something else, but in Mexico a chayote is a type of squash that grows on vines. It is light green in color, has a roughly pearlike shape, and when cooked tastes somewhat like zucchini. My mom put it in all sorts of dishes when I was growing.g up, especially good in chicken soup.and other soups.

Arturo, I love chayotes. Besides the uses you mention, I put them in salads raw. No one knows what they are, but they like them. I cut them into strips, like carrots or bell peppers, for dips, and they are very popular. For my vegetarian friends, I make vegetarian fajitas, replacing the meat with chayote, and using the same marinade, and vegetables I use in meat fajitas.

I took a stab at GOSFORD PARK; I didn't see anything that persuaded me from not changing the channel.

I watch the British costume dramas on PBS when they have interesting plots and characters to go with the costumes and the sets.

I didn't think CHARIOTS OF FIRE was that bad. But I didn't think it was that great, either. We often discuss people's personal tastes here, and there were many "Oscar winning" movies I thought bored me to the bowels. Personally, with a knife to my throat, I'd probably choose CHARIOTS over THE ENGLISH PATIENT.

Since I know a guy who thinks JOE DIRT was the funniest movie ever made, it just goes to show that the public's taste has a wide latitude, and there is no way to please everybody.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings