Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sergeant York

CPWhittingham

Sergeant York has shown in prime time many times over the years, and is guaranteed to be shown again in prime time in the future. Just stick around if you don't believe me. I wish I could say the same thing about many of the silent and foreign classics that often show after midnight on Sunday and then are never seen again for years.

i might add that a movie with some sort of nudity is confined to the dead of night and makes viewers program, review and finalize their DVD discs accordingly.

i'd prefer a fuzzy block put over the contentious image so that a showing in later prime time could be scheduled. i'm old enough to get the idea and don't need an unobstructed showing of a movie in this kind of instance just so TCM can hold to the letter of their "uncut" advertising. this was particularly annoying when Chinatown (1974) was recently shown twice in the early AM (EST) just because of one scene with nudity. Chinatown and other movies deserve a better time slot.

Underground programming on Sat/Sun, 2-6 AM is right where it should be. the occasional nude scene and campy offbeat material is stuck in an early morning slot for the right reason. but some movies don't deserve that kind of pigeonholing.

I'd totally disagree with that. I'd much rather have the unedited version of a movie to record at 4:00 AM than some blurred version shown in prime time. I hadn't realized that's why Chinatown always shows after midnight, but if that's TCM's reason than I've got no complaint. I watch 90% of my TCM movies from recordings anyway, and have no particular need to see them "live".

Well TCM showed the Prime of Miss Jean Brodie yesterday and it has a nude scene (one that features a school age teen character), and it was shown on the west coast before 8:00 PM.

Anyhow, I agree that TCM shouldn't show altered versions of films unless that is the only version available to them. I can see showing movies with questionable content after, say, 8:00, but it is still up to viewers to 'censor' their own programming.

>Well TCM showed the Prime of Miss Jean Brodie yesterday and it has a nude scene (one that features a school age teen character), and it was shown on the west coast before 8:00 PM.

James,

It may have been because the original rating for *Jean Brodie* was only an M for Mature audiences.

Almost all R rated films on TCM are shown after prime time hours.

Well it cost more to have two satellite feeds and for a station that shows mostly movies generally there isn?t really a concept of ?primetime?. But yea, it would be nice if TCM is going to show "R" rated movies only after 10:00 Pacific time (which is after 1:00 East coast time and too late for many east coast viewers).

It appears that TCM programmers painted themselves into a corner by doing daily themes. "Sergeant York" was a part of the block celebrating Best Supporting Actress nominees for 1941. As a result, it followed "The Great Lie," "The Little Foxes" and "How Green Was My Valley." As for "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie," it followed a chockful of films featuring Best Actress winners, in chronological order.