Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

John Garfield birthday tribute on March 4th

TopBilled

1bday.png

There was a Garfield birthday tribute last year, when he would have been one hundred years old. Does anyone know the last time he was Star of the Month?

Tomorrow these Garfield flicks are on the schedule:

DUST BE MY DESTINY..with Priscilla Lane

FOUR WIVES..with Claude Rains

THEY MADE ME A CRIMINAL..with the Dead End Kids (Garfield receives top billing for the first time in a motion picture)

EAST OF THE RIVER..with Brenda Marshall

FLOWING GOLD..with Frances Farmer

OUT OF THE FOG..with Ida Lupino

THE SEA WOLF..with Edward G. Robinson

DANGEROUSLY THEY LIVE..with Nancy Coleman

THE BREAKING POINT..with Patricia Neal

Thanks Remy...that's once a decade...I wouldn't be opposed to him being selected again.

Does anyone have the old schedules, to see if some of his rare films were featured for those SOTM tributes?

I am wondering if UNDER MY SKIN has ever aired on TCM, and what about BODY AND SOUL or FORCE OF EVIL...?

I am wondering if UNDER MY SKIN has ever aired on TCM, and what about BODY AND SOUL or FORCE OF EVIL...?

*Force of Evil* was last shown on 9/8/2010, and was also played during his 2006 SUTS day AND during his SOTM tribute in 2003. The other two were NOT shown any of those times, although I'm pretty sure that *Body and Soul* has played at least once, because I got my copy through a swap with someone who said he'd gotten it from TCM

Thanks Andy for the info (and the quick reply).

UNDER MY SKIN is one of my favorites of his. I was hoping that since we are seeing more titles from Fox that this one might show up on TCM. It's a good chance to see French beauty Micheline Presle (billed in America as Prelle, probably so we could pronounce it more easily). She had a very long career in motion pictures, mostly in Europe-- though she certainly lucked out in Hollywood, getting paired with John Garfield, Tyrone Power and Errol Flynn.

UNDER MY SKIN is based on a story by Ernest Hemingway. It's out on home video and is worth watching. Maybe if the TCM programmers are reading this thread, they will consider airing it.

imgres9.jpgimages-24.jpg

When John Garfield first came to Hollywood he did several screen tests and no one was impressed. Garfield was on his way back to New York to return to the stage when Warner Brothers director Michael Curtiz had him brought back and got him signed at Warners. He got a strong supporting role in Curtiz's *Four Daughters* and was on his way to being a major star. Garfield's career speaks for itself, he was a terrific actor and gave us many fine performances right to the end. He was only 39 years old at his death, what a tragedy. He was one of film's finest actors. Hopefully he will never be forgotten.

Edited by: mrroberts on Mar 3, 2014 8:06 PM

Coming up shortly, *The Sea Wolf* . What a great film, with a terrific cast, directed by Michael Curtiz, and Edward G Robinson giving as fine a performance as he ever gave. In the Robinson auto biography "All My Yesterdays" he gives praise to John Garfield as " one of the best young actors I ever encountered, but his passions about the world were so intense that I feared any day he would have a heart attack".

Edited by: mrroberts on Mar 4, 2014 2:35 PM

John Garfield was also the first choice to play Stanley Kowalski in A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE on Broadway, but producer Irene Mayer Selznick would not agree to Garfield's demands (one of which was a request that Tennesee Williams re-write the play to shift the focus from Blanche to Stanley).

Supposedly John Garfield was one of Tennessee Williams's favorite actors.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings