Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gandhi

wouldbestar

Oh, the memories this brought back! Thanks a lot!

This was the year Ben Kingsley and *Gandhi* competed with Paul Newman and *The Verdict.* I didn't know who Mr. Kingsley was-did anybody?-but was a Newman fan and hoped the Oscar would finally be his. The awards were on Monday nights back then and I was ready to watch.

My brother was due here for a visit starting the next night and I planned to take off early from work that day to pick up what I needed for my specialty, a Beef Burgundy/Pot Roast combination. I called his place at six Monday and was told by his landlady that he'd already left for here. Of course, my cupboard was bare.

When he called from the Greyhound station for directions, he asked if the Awards had started and if Gandhi had one anything yet. (He had seen the movie-I hadn't-and was rooting for it.) I said no and please hit the Burger King there for some grub. When he got here, we spent the night arguing over our choices between bites of dinner. Of course, he picked the right movie and actor. I was also impressed with Candice Bergen who up to then was not considered a good actress. I think *The* *Sand Pebbles* and this turned the tide for her.

We did see *Gandhi* and *The Verdict* later that week-each of them a first for one of us-and I had to agree he knew his movies. Sadly, we are now estranged due to an emotional illness so this movie, along with being great in its own right, brought back happier times.

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry to hear you are estranged from someone important in your life, a subject I am also too familiar with. I saw Ghandi in the theater upon its release and thought Kingsley was excellent. I now own the film on Blu-ray. Another film he was especially good in is House of Sand and Fog.

I really like Indian culture, brought into it through Indian film-a huge industry! I couldn't wait to see GHANDI when it was first broadcast TCM as I had never seen it in the theater.

It's one of those movies I'll never watch again. It seemed long, drawn out and somewhat tough to watch...although glad I saw it once.

I really like Indian culture, brought into it through Indian film-a huge industry! I couldn't wait to see GHANDI when it was first broadcast TCM as I had never seen it in the theater.

It's one of those movies I'll never watch again. It seemed long, drawn out and somewhat tough to watch...although glad I saw it once.

I agree with you. It's stately, noble, and plodding, but not a great film, IMHO. I far prefer Lord Mountbatten: The Last Viceroy, a 1986 UK mini-series, with Sam Dastor really terrific as Gandi, and a very good script, cast, and production. Here's the beginning of Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftxhn27Atuc

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings