Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Monstrous Mutilations of Movies

Palmerin

When I lived in PR--I moved to FL in 1980--WAPA-TV had the irritating habit of showing movies complete only in their premieres; afterwards it went Jack the Ripper with them.

The second time it showed NORTH BY NORTHWEST THE ENTIRE SEQUENCE OF ROGER THORNHILL BEING CHASED BY THE BIPLANE WAS TOTALLY CUT OFF!!!

I saw a telecast of *It Happened One Night* that omitted the scene in which Clark Gable took off his shirt, revealing that he wore no undershirt -- possibly the most famous scene of the movie. Very few TV stations show films without any cuts. Gotta get those commercials in!

Unbelievable. What genius makes these decisions? Obviously someone who doesn't know or care anything about movies. If they have to make cuts, make them where they won't do so much damage.

Here in New York, channel 5.2 makes no cuts. Neither do channels 13.1 or 25.3, which show classic films occasionally.

Well sadly mutilation of movies isn't so unbelievable since that is the practice used by the vast majority TV stations (but not of key scenes I would hope!).

I have noticed that even stations that show commercials are now starting to show them uncut. E.g. The MOVIES channel . They do censor out nudity and cuss words but not by cutting out the scenes. Of course this leads to movies starting at very ?odd? times so one has to pay close attention to starting times.

Not so long ago, several basic cable stations, when broadcasting ANNIE and CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG, they edited out almost all the musical numbers, which ruined the charm of those movies and made it hard to follow their plots.

> The second time it showed NORTH BY NORTHWEST THE ENTIRE SEQUENCE OF ROGER THORNHILL BEING CHASED BY THE BIPLANE WAS TOTALLY CUT OFF!!!

But, that's the scene they ALWAYS show in promotion of the movie! I must have seen that segment a hundred times BEFORE I ever saw the MOVIE.

Sepiatone

Edited by: Sepiatone on Mar 2, 2014 12:39 PM

It's ridiculous the parts of the movies that networks cut in order to make room for commercials.

Programmer:

Lets see... that whole scene in "North By Northwest" where Cary Grant is chased by the crop duster... it's the most iconic scene of the whole film, but we could easily cut it out. It doesn't really lend much to the overall story line...

Hmm... in "Night at the Opera," I know that everyone watches specifically waiting for the stateroom scene. But it really drags on. Cut it. We need to make room for the new Meow Mix commercial."

Can you imagine, they cut out the scene in "Wizard of Oz" where they finally meet the wizard?

"Psycho," Norman Bates never stabs Marion Crane to death in the shower. We just see him letting her into room 1 and then the next scene he's putting her body in the trunk.

Almost as bad as omitting a scene is cutting to a commercial in the middle of it. In *Bell, Book and Candle,* our local station always goes to a commercial while Kim Novak is seducing James Stewart with her spell (and, as usual, Pyewacket is stealing the scene).

Couldn't they wait until the scene is over? No respect!

The first time I saw CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT back in the early 80s, the local Cleveland station on which I was watching it cut the expository scenes at the beginning. So the movie started with Jefferson Jones and buddy Seaman Sinkewicz in the hospital, instead of showing their ship being torpedoed and the two sailors in their life raft. I guess I still understood from the dialogue in the hospital why they were there, but it definitely seemed like a better start when I finally saw the unedited movie (probably on TBS, back when they were "the old movie channel").

When I was a kid in the late 50s, WOR-TV would air YANKEE DOODLE DANDY in a 90-minute slot. I thought that it was about a tough kid who grows up to be a jockey, then entertains the troops. His father dies and he dances on the table before going to meet the president.

I had perhaps seen one or two musicals before, but the recreations of stage acts in DANDY had this 8-year-old very confused.

By 1964, the film ended up on WCBS where it played in complete form on July 4.