Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Speaking of DATED, ...

Palmerin

... what movies do you find so dated that their appeal and fame is utterly incomprehensible to you? Certainly that Warren Beatty-Jack Nicholson comedy that was the debut of Stockard Channing now seems so silly and witless to me that I cannot understand why I paid good money to watch it.

Any one under the age of 40 seeing a disco movie? (but I still like them...ducking )

disco-425x231.jpg

Far as myself goes, most sci-fi made before 1969 that show (by today's standards) SFX's that's laughable.

devilgirlmont1.jpg

12505409.jpg

menace_interior.jpg

Edited by: hamradio on Mar 2, 2014 6:53 PM

... what movies do you find so dated that their appeal and fame is utterly incomprehensible to you?

John Wayne's The Green Berets would be my Red States entry in that contest, and Last Tango In Paris would be the Butter Belt challenger. ;)

I find most movies of the 1960s to be more dated than movies made in the 1930s or 1940s. I believe this may be because they centered more on social aspects than on characters. Characters are timeless but society is endlessly changing.

I prefer the instrumentality and special effects of 1920s to 1950s science fiction movies over those of modern movies. I find modern instruments to be sleek and bland. I fear also that modern systems are of one piece doing many things and as such they are more vulnerable. It seems to me to be an advantage that if a radio is damaged then you can scavenge parts to repair it from your oscilloscope which is undamaged because it is in its own separate case with its own power supply and is far less likely to have been damaged by whatever force damaged your radio.

>Certainly that Warren Beatty-Jack Nicholson comedy that was the debut of Stockard Channing now seems so silly and witless to me

I have an old uncle who bought one of those Stockard Channings the first year they were imported to the US. He said they got only about 10 miles per gallon.

Miami Vice Reruns now look kind of strange, (ok it's TV.) Don Johnsons white pastel jacket and stubble look is now pretty funny.

Saturday Night Fever does not date very well, but it has a certain energy that is still relatable.

Movies about break dancing are now very much worth mocking.

>... what movies do you find so dated that their appeal and fame is utterly incomprehensible to you?

Well, not me but the TikiKid. At 16, she completely misses any drama that centers around racial issues or roles of "proper" women. She doesn't "get" the big deal about GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER or IMITATION OF LIFE. I'm hoping she may enjoy IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT because it centers more on an individual's prejudice, rather than society's.

Oh and she loved BLAZING SADDLES but was horrified at the liberal use of the "n" word.

And she is completely baffled by the social shackles put on women in older movies. I admit, me too, until I started considering I was watching past history. In fact, it was movies that illustrated for me what it must have been like for my mother and grandmother.

And this is exactly why I enjoy film. As a heavy duty punk rocker, I didn't know a thing about disco. Now I can watch some silly disco movie for a history lesson.

>their appeal and fame is utterly incomprehensible

Apply that to sentence to 99% of what's in today's theaters.

> she loved BLAZING SADDLES but was horrified at the liberal use of the "n" word.

I'd be horrified, too. Liberals don't often USE the "n" word.

> until I started considering I was watching past history

I often confuse past history with CURRENT, or even FUTURE history, too.

Face it. Any movie made before last year is likely dated. I recently watched some movie made only about five or six years ago, and NOBODY was using a "smart" phone! It also can be a matter of perception. For instance, I find many movies made in the '80's to seem MORE dated than movies from the '70's. Can't explain it. Of course, there are movies from long ago that LOOK dated, but storywise are still somewhat relevent. There are some that seem eerily prophetic. But I take it as progress of sorts that TikiKid can watch some of them and wonder what all the hoopla was about.

Sepiatone

That is why the humor of SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE! often gets lost in time: people eventually forget the political and societal basis for many of their sketches. Abbott and Costello, on the other hand, are timeless because their humor is based on an eternal subject: how silly people can be in circumstances that they do not know how to handle, such as meeting Dracula, the Wolfman and the Frankenstein Monster.

I remember the first ever SNL. In it, they had a "commercial parody" of a razor that had not one, not two, but THREE blades! The parody was that three blades would be so utterly ridicuous that nobody would buy it.

The JOKE is, there are now razors with up to FIVE blades in them!

Sepiatone

reefertumblr12_zps103cce77.gif

reefertumblr7_zps9386d079.gif

reefertumblr.gif

reefertumblr6.gif

reefertumblr5.gif

reefertumblr4.gif

*Reefer Madness (1936)*, would have to be the hands down, all time winner in this category!

Ever since it's rediscovery in the early 1970's, it was treasured by a counterculture that relished it's dated sensationalism, excesses and exaggeration, feeling that it all negatively reflected on the "anti" viewpoint which far outlasted the film. Even those who feel there are reasoned and compelling arguments to maintain prohibition of this substance, would have to find this old relic of a film embarrassing. It hardly helps their cause.

speakthelma.gif

> faceinthecrowd wrote:

> Films such as The Desk Set (and a lot of sci-fi movies) in which we know we're looking at a computer because it takes up most of the wall, and there are a lot of lights blinking.

Have you seen a Cray XC30 or Urika? :)

I have no experience with computers on ships but I have seen many computers on military bases and in aircraft. I believe from what I have seen that modernization does not reduce the physical size of the installation. It seems to me that there is a dictum that all space available will be used. Modernization seems to me to mean that many more functions are added so that the new will fill the same space as the old.

I saw this when banks of mechanical telephone switching equipment was changed to a single electronic unit. The remaining space in that room was filled with a mainframe to serve the terminals which were being introduced. The mainframe was later replaced by servers to connect the desktop computers being introduced. The later reduction in size of servers allowed massive data storage to be added.

Even early CGI is becoming dated and FAST!

In "The Last Starfighter", Centauri's space car coming in for a landing on Rilos was bad enough in 1984 but today - OW! Hard to believe (in a negative way) this was done on a Cray XMP *Supercomputer.*

last-starfighter-img.jpg

Cray XMP

xmp.jpg

Edited by: hamradio on Mar 3, 2014 2:21 PM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings