Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Gaffe In "The Monuments Men"

MilesArcher

I saw "The Monuments Men" this weekend. George Clooney directed, co-wrote, co-produced, and starred in it. I'm not one who normally notices these types of things, but I did notice one mistake. In a scene that takes place in December of 1944, Bill Murray receives messages from home on a phonograph record. On the record, one of his family members, I think it was his daughter, sings "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas". The song had been introduced in the 1944 movie "Meet Me In St. Louis" by Judy Garland. Near the end of the song Judy sings the line "Until then we'll have to muddle through somehow, so have yourself a merry little Christmas now". In the 1950's, Frank Sinatra was recording a Christmas album and he didn't like the line, so he asked the lyricist, Hugh Martin, to change it. Martin changed it to "Hang a shining star upon the highest bough". In "The Monuments Men", the revised line is sung. I checked IMDB and found that several other people noticed it too. Here is what Wiklipedia said about the line.

"In 1957, Frank Sinatra asked Martin to revise the line "Until then we'll have to muddle through somehow." He told Martin, "The name of my album is A Jolly Christmas. Do you think you could jolly up that line for me?"[1] Martin's new line was "Hang a shining star upon the highest bough." Martin made several other alterations, changing the song's focus to a celebration of present happiness, rather than anticipation of a better future."

Has anyone else noticed mistakes of this type in movies?

In "The Monuments Men", the song was sung by Nora Sagal. I'm surprised that George just didn't use a recording by his aunt, Rosemary. There was a nice touch, however, at the end of the film. George's character as an old man was played by his real life dad, Nick Clooney. Has anyone else noticed mistakes of this type in movies?

In the miniseries THE BORGIAS--which stars the very skinny Jeremy Irons, who does not look one bit like the very husky Pope Alexander VI--, the soundtrack music for his coronation, which takes place in 1492, is one of the coronation anthems of GF Handel--not only an anachronism, but also music that the Catholic Church has never used for a papal coronation.