Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LonesomePolecat

Welcome to the 25th TCM Programming Challenge!

*TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE #25: THE SUNSET BOULEVARD CHALLENGE*

I?m quite proud to have won the last challenge and so excited to host the Unofficial TCM Programming Challenge #25. My thanks to the previous hosts whose well-written instructions I have in some cases copied word for word. (Giving that credit now so you know why the writing suddenly switches tone sometimes.)

*BACK-STORY*

?I am big ? it?s the pictures that got small!? --Norma Desmond

The Sunset Boulevard Challenge starts now and closes at 11:59pm (Pacific Time) on March 31, 2013. The voting will then last for a week and the new winner will be crowned.

The original Challenge was created several years ago by path40a who wanted to find a way to let participants create a week of programming for TCM, incorporating many of the rules and restrictions that guide the real TCM programming staff.

These Programming Challenges are NOT sponsored by TCM. That doesn?t mean that they don?t pay attention to the Programming Challenges. In fact, they love them. Tcmprogrammr has been known to post comments on this thread. The entries sometimes lead to similar themes and specific films shown on the network. I can personally vouch that this is true and am still proud of seeing many of my own ideas shown on TCM. My two proudest moments are these. One was TCM finally showing the great lesser-known Walter Matthau comedy A NEW LEAF (which I scheduled many times hoping they?d get the hint). The second was when one of my themes, ?Disabilities and Hollywood: Deaf Characters in Cinema? being turned into a month long look at Hollywood?s portrayal of the handicapped. The Challenge is still the best way to ?request a movie?.

The basic idea of the Challenge is to create a week?s schedule for TCM. The schedule must include all the elements of a regular TCM schedule: TCM Underground, Star of the Month, etc. You post your schedule as well as notes that explain it. (Read on for more specifics.) When the Challenge is over, I will start a new thread, reposting the entrants? schedules and notes. This will be a voting thread and anyone who has been registered to use the message boards as of February 1, 2013, may vote for their favorite schedule.

Anyone who is registered with TCM may enter the Challenge, regardless of their registration date. I hope all will participate, veterans and newcomers alike.

The winner of this Challenge gets to host the next Challenge. There is no official prize for winning but, as host, you will get to set the time and special requirements of the next Challenge. You also know that your peers voted your schedule as their favorite. That was sure enough for me.

May I also say that you may submit a schedule for fun and say ?please don?t vote for me? if you don?t have time or are afraid to run the next challenge. We?d all rather have 100 interesting schedules to read and only 5 to vote for than the alternative, wouldn?t we?

*BASIC REQUIREMENTS*

These are the fundamental requirements for every TCM Programming Challenge, which is that the schedule has to look like a real TCM schedule. But here come specifics and a few personal modifications:

1) Select any week between May 2013 and May 2014

a. Your schedule must begin at exactly 6:00 a.m. Eastern time on Sunday and must conclude sometime around 6:00 am the next Sunday (no film may start after 6am).

b. Each day's programming begins at approximately 6:00 a.m. Eastern time, though as you can see from TCM?s own schedules, they never adhere to that. (If you have a great nighttime theme that lasts through the entire next day, no one will grouse since TCM does that all the time.)

c. Primetime/evening begins at exactly 8:00 p.m. Eastern time every evening. No exceptions. (Because evening films will have introductions and closing comments, please leave enough time for them in your schedule.)

d. Feature films begin every 15 minutes. Please don?t schedule a movie at 10:07pm.

e. You do NOT have to program any shorts or filler for gaps of time less than 15 minutes in your schedule. You may if you want to and have access to this material, but don?t feel obligated to schedule TCM commercials or that widescreen short again.

2) Include all of the regular weekly TCM features:

a. SILENT SUNDAY NIGHTS is a silent movie (or two) which begins at approximately 12:00 a.m. (ET) on Sunday night/Monday morning.

b. TCM IMPORTS is a foreign film which begins at approximately 2:00 a.m. Sunday night/Monday morning (ET) following the silent film.

c. TCM UNDERGROUND is a cult film which begins at approximately 2:00 a.m. (ET) Saturday Night.

d. THE ESSENTIALS is a must-see classic movie which begins at exactly 8:00 p.m. (ET) Saturday Night.

e. THE FRIDAY NIGHT SPOTLIGHT is a series of films that fits a theme that must be able to last the entire month and starts at 8:00pm (ET) on, when else, Friday Night.

You may feel free to schedule a week in February as if it was a regular month and the 31 Days of Oscar never existed. Similarly, you may treat August like a non-Summer Under the Stars month. You may not, however, do the opposite and show us your version of SUTS or 31 Days of Oscar, as that is a whole different ball of wax.

3) STAR OF THE MONTH: A minimum of four movies in a block on one evening will showcase your Star of the Month. The star must have a body of work large enough to allow similar blocks the other weeks in the month (sorry, James Dean).

4) PREMIERES: You may use up to 10 films which have never been shown on TCM. They may come from any studio, country, or year. Please mark each one in your schedule as Premiere #1, etc.

The films you choose for Silent Sunday Nights, TCM Imports, Essentials, and TCM Underground do not count against the total of 10 premieres you may use. Please mark these films as Exempt in your schedules.

5) Any and all movies which have previously been shown on TCM are always allowed no matter who owns it now or ever. If you are not sure if a film has been shown, go to the search bar on the TCM homepage, select the "Site" button, and enter the movie title into the search bar. These methods will never produce a false positive. However, it is possible that some movies which have actually been shown have no accompanying notes or articles, so there may be false negatives. But basically, if there is no programming article, it?s probably never been shown.

a. Movies from the original Turner library are always allowed. I know some of rights have changed hands in recent years, but I?m sticking to what has always been allowed in previous programming challenges, which is that you can schedule any of these movies anytime:

Warner Bros (pre-1948 only): http://www.imdb.com/company/co0026840/

MGM (pre-1986): http://www.imdb.com/company/co0020206/

RKO (all): http://www.imdb.com/company/co0041421/

b. Links to other studio databases are at the end of this post if you need help. Basically, this is how it works: if it?s never been on TCM, you must schedule it as a premiere. If it?s been on TCM, you can have it for free.

c. The only exception to the rule is Disney. While live action Disney movies are allowed (but, once again, if they?ve never been shown on TCM, they must count as a premiere), Disney-created animated movies are never allowed, because Disney will not grant the rights for another network to show them. Animated movies created by other studios, but whose rights were later acquired by Disney, are allowed. I am also allowing partially animated films like MARY POPPINS (since we have BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS), though in the real world I?m sure that would be hard to swing. This isn?t the real world, though, so we?re good.

6) Feel free to use any TCM-created film such as Now Playing, any existing Private Screening, or any documentary you want. You may also invent a new Private Screenings interview, but ONLY one that is physically possible without a s?ance (sorry again, James Dean).

7) For each film, please show the scheduled time, title, year, running time, actor(s), director(s), and studio (the studio that originally made it, please, not the 19 studios who own distribution rights). Please also indicate either ?p/s? for previously shown or ?Premiere? if it is a premiere. For example:

8:45pm SUNSET BOULEVARD (1950) William Holden & Gloria Swanson, dir Billy Wilder, Paramount, 110min (p/s)

8) Include your programming notes as a separate post following the schedule entry. We enjoy hearing why you selected particular themes or films, but we also like to be able to read your schedule as a whole.

9) A technical matter: no emoticons or triple exclamation points. They sometimes create problems with the website.

10) Here are some helpful hints: Birthday tributes to actors, directors, and other cinematic creators are a staple of TCM schedules. Anniversaries of historical or cinematic importance are always welcome. Themes related to anything and everything can be fun. Some people come up with the craziest things. I recall once we had a tribute to the many hilarious parodies seen on the ?20th Century Vole? thread in the Hot Topics section. This is basically your chance to have fun and be creative. If you just think, ?What do I want to see on TCM?? you can?t go wrong.

11) After the contest closes at 11:59pm (PT) on March 31, 2013, I will compile all of the schedules and notes into a voting thread and there will be a week of voting for the winner.

*ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: THE SUNSET BOULEVARD CHALLENGE*

As is traditional, I get to mess with you guys by coming up with my own devious twist. Most people only require one or two things, but I?m going to require THREE! BWAHAHAHA!

*Sunset Blvd Challenge #1: Deconstructing Sunset Blvd*

?The last I wrote was about Oakies in the dust bowl. You?d never know because when it reached the screen the whole thing played on a torpedo boat.? --Joe Gillis

The first challenge relates to our SUNSET BLVD theme in general. In this case you must schedule at least four movies in one block that are somehow inspired by SUNSET BLVD. Some ideas for themes that relate back to SUNSET BLVD include (and feel free to use any of these if you?re stuck) a tribute to forgotten silent stars, movies with characters named Max, Nancy Olsen films, or even old Hollywood Spanish-style mansions in cinema. The theme can relate to the film in any manner no matter how remote, such as basing a theme off of a single quote from the movie, as long as you must justify it in your programming notes. Be creative and have fun. And feel free to schedule SUNSET BLVD, but don?t feel you have to ? actually using the movie isn?t a requirement. (PS - If you?ve never seen SUNSET BLVD, now is a good time to remedy that.)

*Sunset Blvd Challenge #2: Celebrating Behind-the-Scenes Artists*

?Audiences don?t know somebody sits down and writes a picture; they think the actors make it up as they go along.? ---Joe Gillis

Actors get all the attention and directors get all the credit. But what about the people who wrote the story or music? What about the costumer, art director, sound effects guy? Or for that matter, what about the key grip? This is why I am requiring everyone to create a theme of at least four films (scheduled anytime in your schedule, day or night) that honors/highlights any non-actor/non-director background artist such as a lighting guy, song writer, editor, casting director, or even that one amazing trumpet player who does the killer jazz trumpet solos in AN AMERICAN IN PARIS -- anyone you want.

You can, of course, feature all the actors and directors you want for the rest of the week, just leave a slot for the unseen talent. (Tip: if you can?t think of any backstage filmmakers, start with your favorite movie and look up who did the costumes/music/sound etc, then look up what else they did.)

*Sunset Blvd Challenge #3: Ghost Writing*

?It wasn?t so simple getting some coherence into those wild hallucinations of hers. And what made it even tougher was that she was around all the time hovering over me, afraid I?d do injury to that precious brain child of hers.? --Joe Gillis

One of the great joys of participating in the TCM Programming Challenge is throwing ideas at TCM. As previously mentioned, writing one of these schedules is the best way I know to ?request a movie?. So the only bummer in winning and running the challenge is that I don?t get to write a schedule full of film recommendations. There are a whole bunch of films that it has been my obsession to see on TCM. I realized, however, that I can make you guys do whatever I want (see evil laugh above). Hence and therefore, and all that rot, I have devised a plan: to make YOU schedule one of MY premieres! Just as William Holden was a ghost writer for the great Norma Desmond, you shall ghost-write for me! HA!

The challenge, then, is that you MUST incorporate at least ONE of the movies listed below in your schedule. The good news is that they don?t count toward your 10 premiere limit. Just mark them as ?LP PREMIERE?. (I?ll list them all ready for inserting into your schedule). You are free to list as many of these as you want, or even all of them, but the minimum is one of the following:

1. *BABES IN TOYLAND* (1934) Stan Laurel & Oliver Hardy, dir Gus Meins & Charley Rogers, Hal Roach 77min LP PREMIERE

2. *BLACKBEARD?S GHOST* (1968) Dean Jones & Peter Ustinov, dir Robert Stevenson DISNEY 106min LP PREMIERE

3. *DAMN YANKEES* (1958) Gwen Verdon & Ray Walston, dir George Abbott & Stanley Donen, WB 111min LP PREMIERE

4. *DEAR BRIGITTE* (1965) James Stewart & Bill Mumy, dir Henry Koster, FOX 100min LP PREMIERE

5. *GOODBYE, CHARLIE* (1964) Tony Curtis & Debbie Reynolds, dir Vincente Minnelli, FOX 117min LP PREMIERE

6. *THE HAPPIEST MILLIONAIRE* (1967) Fred MacMurray & Tommy Steele, dir Norman Tokar, Disney 164min LP PREMIERE

7. *RED GARTERS* (1954) Rosemary Clooney & Jack Carson, dir George Marshall, Paramount 91min LP PREMIERE

8. *TALES OF MANHATTAN* (1942) Henry Fonda & Edward G Robinson, dir Julien Duvivier FOX 118min LP PREMIERE

9. *WHAT A WAY TO GO* (1964) Shirley MacLaine & Gene Kelly, dir J Lee Thompson, FOX 111min LP PREMIERE

10. *WHAT?S SO BAD ABOUT FEELING GOOD?* (1968) Mary Tyler Moore & George Pappard, dir George Seaton, Universal 94min LP PREMIERE

(There are so many movies I want to see on TCM that is was hard to keep the list down to even this large amount. In doing so I?ve tried to make the list varied enough to excite everyone, but this is my challenge and I get to do whatever I want.)

In addition to this list, though not a requirement, ANY Danny Kaye movie and/or ANY Basil Rathbone SHERLOCK HOLMES movie that has never been shown on TCM can be shown as an LP Premiere. No limit. You must, however, show one film from the above list in addition to your Danny Kaye and/or Basil SHERLOCK movie(s). (I just never get enough Danny or Sherlock).

*USEFUL LINKS & PARTING THOUGHTS*

You will find these databases useful for finding movies from other studios:

Columbia Pictures (all) http://www.imdb.com/company/co0071509/

United Artists (after 1950): http://www.imdb.com/company/co0026841/

Samuel Goldwyn (all): http://www.imdb.com/company/co0016710/

J. Arthur Rank Film Distributors: http://www.imdb.com/company/co0027356/

20th Century Fox: http://www.imdb.com/company/co0000756/

Paramount Pictures: http://www.imdb.com/company/co0023400/

Universal Pictures: http://www.imdb.com/company/co0005073/

British Gaumont Pictures: http://www.imdb.com/company/co0103050/

Live action Disney movies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Disney_live_action_films

Past Stars of the Month (thank you, lzcutter):

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=165568&tstart=0

Links to a couple of previous Challenges:

Challenge #21: http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=163504&tstart=0&messageID=8612166#8612166

Challenge #20: http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8566808?

Challenge #19: http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=160021&tstart=0&messageID=8524696#8524696

There are many other Challenges and they are great fun to read. If you search the boards, you should find many of them in General Discussions. Unfortunately, some of them disappeared when the website was revamped a couple of years ago.

Please feel free to post any questions about the Challenge on this thread. You may also send me a private message, but many people may have the same question as you, so don?t be shy.

?I promise I?ll never dessert you again because after SALOME we?ll do another picture and another picture. You see, this is my life. It always will be. Nothing else. Just us, the cameras, and those wonderful people out there in the dark. Alright, Mr. DeMille, I?m ready for my close-up!? --Norma Desmond

Now I get to sit back and watch what you come up with. I?m pretty excited.

--LP

This is a wonderful Challenge!

I thank you for delving deep into your devilish mind to create this.

I must question one thing: Do we have to pick a behind-the-scenes talent for: "Sunset Blvd Challenge #2: Celebrating Behind-the-Scenes Artists" who worked on *Sunset Blvd* (1950) in that capacity?

My mind is reeling with the possibilities of this Challenge. I hope the feeling will last and that I will not begin to tear at my hair for at least two or three days.

Glad you're with us SansFin. To answer the question, the behind the scenes artist may be anyone and doesn't have to be someone who worked on SUNSET BLVD. :)

I thank you for your kind reply. I had a thought for such a theme when reading an article concerning the Oscars. It is at all times pleasant to find that one of the requirements is a thing which I had hoped to do.

I have two evenings done now for the requirements. I feel as if I must now work very quickly as my ideas for those themes seem so very obvious that I must be first so it will not look as if I am copying.

I am sorry to say that I do not know if Capuchin can participate in this Challenge. He was to be gone a few days which turned into more than a week and now his return is indefinite. He has also much work piling up while he is away so I do not know if he will have time to enter.

I've never participated in a TCM Programming challenge before, this looks like a fun way to plan and schedule something that could be my dream week on TCM-- something that would definitely max out the capacity on my DVR. I'm just hoping I'm knowledgeable about films as others seem to be-- just so that my schedule doesn't seem boring or lame. I've got some good ideas in my head for themes already.

It's also exciting that actual TCM Programmers do look at our schedules. It's almost as if you're making a very elaborate "request this movie" request.

Looking forward to seeing what I (and others) come up with!

> The challenge, then, is that you MUST incorporate at least ONE of the movies listed below in your schedule. The good news is that they don?t count toward your 10 premiere limit. Just mark them as ?LP PREMIERE?. (I?ll list them all ready for inserting into your schedule). You are free to list as many of these as you want, or even all of them, but the minimum is one of the following:

>

> 1. BABES IN TOYLAND (1934) Stan Laurel & Oliver Hardy, dir Gus Meins & Charley Rogers, Hal Roach 77min LP PREMIERE

Aired on TCM December 24, 2012. I distinctly recall having watched it, and thankfully have the old schedule to prove it. So you can put a different movie in place of that one if you want.

Is each film that is scheduled part of some type of theme? Or are there separate themes with random movies scheduled in between in order to break them up?

Okay. So you have your day theme and your night one and then you just use other non-related movies as filler?

> speedracer5 wrote:

> Is each film that is scheduled part of some type of theme? Or are there separate themes with random movies scheduled in between in order to break them up?

There are evenings and nights on TCM when every movie from 8:00PM until 6:00AM is part of a theme and there are evenings on TCM when there are four or so movies for a theme and the remainder of the night is random movies.

I have seen Challenge schedules reflecting both of these situations.

A Guest Programmer selects four movies and so it is common that the remainder of that night contains movies which are unrelated to their interests.

There are many masters here who create schedules wherein there is a basic theme for the week and each day's theme is an aspect of that theme.

I urge you to follow the links in this thread's original post so that you may see schedules which have been done in previous Challenges so that you may see the variations and understand the possibilities.

How much time do you set aside for Robert Osborne's opening and closing remarks?

I am planning my Sunday evening. Per the rules, Primetime is starting at 8. I know that I need to schedule a silent movie at 12, so I have room for about two films.

One film is 116 mins and the second is 92 mins.

Between 8-10, I have about 4 mins left after the movie ends. That seems like it'd be enough time for Osborne's comments.

My second film will last from 10-11:30ish. I'll have roughly 30 mins to fill before my silent film starts.

Is there a resource to find out about short films that are available? I only know of a couple that I've seen, and they don't really fit in my theme.

EDIT: Haha, I've started working on one day of my schedule... Man, there is a lot of math involved in setting the times. Man, I hope I schedule this right. Math is not my forte.

Edited by: speedracer5 on Mar 2, 2014 5:05 PM

Forgive me if I miss a question, but,-

Yes, you can schedule a week in May 2014.

I know of no list of every short ever made or anything, but you can google video a lot of them, searching for something like "1940s short boxing". Or I search under the names of people who made a lot of short films like Robert Benchley, James FitzPatrick (traveltalks), George O'Hanlon ("So You..."), and the animation houses like MGM, WB, and Disney (remember, you can schedule Disney's animated short films, just not Disney's feature animated films)

And you can have as many themes as you can cram into one day, obrien, as long as one nighttime theme starts at 8pm. For example, one day I had three movies and two shorts that fit a gold rush theme, then four movies that fit the theme "real court cases", then a nighttime theme. So there is a lot of flexibility here.

The easiest way to answer most questions is to look at previous schedules.

I have found IMDB.com's "Advanced Search" feature to be wonderful. It is fairly hidden in that you must scroll to the bottom of an IMDB screen and select: "Search" from the row near the bottom and then select "Advanced Search" on their search page.

This Advanced Search allows for searching for titles by studio and running time. It is by this excellent for searching for short movies from the freely allowed studios. Keywords in the search is a good way to narrow down the selection to ones fitting a theme but the IMDB has little consistency regarding keywords and so its value is limited.

A thirty minute gap is perfect also for an edition of: Now Playing.

If any person who is entering for the first time has a particular problem concerning matters of this type then they can PM me and I might be able to help as we have a database of movies shown in TCM in recent years. I am sorry to say that I can not assure a prompt reply as I do not log into this site each day.

Great Job! I love all the Looney Tunes shorts in between the films! "One Froggy Evening" is awesome!

I'm still working on mine. Thanks to SansFin's brilliant idea to schedule a "Now Playing" episode, I have solved my time filler dilemma (Too much time to leave it alone, not enough time for anything really substantial).

This is my schedule for the week beginning Sunday, November 9, 2014:

November 9 -- Daytime: The Craftsmen of Twentieth-Century-Fox

This is intended to be part of a month-long festival in which each Sunday would focus on the work of the contract directors at a different studio.

6:00AM Cavalcade (1933) Diana Wynyard and Clive Brook. Dir: Frank Lloyd. Fox Film Corp., 112 min. P/S

8:00AM Lloyd's of London (1936) Tyrone Power and Madeline Carroll. Dir: Henry King. Twentieth-Century-Fox Film Corp., 118 min. P/S

10:15AM Pigskin Parade (1936) Stuart Erwin and Patsy Kelly. Dir: David Butler. Twentieth-Century-Fox Film Corp., 93 min. P/S

12:00PM Heidi (1937) Shirley Temple and Jean Hersholt. Dir: Alan Dwan. Twentieth-Century-Fox Film Corp., 88 min. P/S

1:45PM Johnny Apollo (1940) Tyrone Power and Dorothy Lamour. Dir: Henry Hathaway. Twentieth-Century-Fox Film Corp., 93 min. P/S

3:30PM Springtime in the Rockies (1942) Betty Grable and Carmen Miranda. Dir: Irving Cummings. Twentieth-Century-Fox Film Corp., 91 min. P/S

5:15PM Wilson (1945) Charles Coburn and Geraldine Fitzgerald. Dir: Henry King. Twentieth-Century-Fox Film Corp., 154 min. P/S

November 9 -- Primetime: Edna May Oliver Double Feature

The popular supporting actress of the 1930s was born on November 9, 1881 and died on the same day fifty-eight years later. Two of her best-known performances are featured.

8:00PM Little Women (1933) Katharine Hepburn and Joan Bennett. Dir: George Cukor. RKO Radio Pictures Inc., 116 min.

10:15PM Drums Along the Mohawk (1939) Henry Fonda and Claudette Colbert. Dir: John Ford. Twentieth-Century-Fox Film Corp., 103 min. P/S

November 9 -- Silent Sunday Night/TCM Imports: Female Directors

Tonight's Silent Sunday Night feature and TCM Import examine the role of female filmmakers -- first up is Lois Weber's The Blot (1921) followed by the TCM Premiere of Triumph of the Will (1934) which is arguably the most important propaganda film ever made.

12:15AM The Blot (1921) Phillip Hubbard and Margaret McWade. Dir: Lois Weber. F.B. Warren Corp., 91 min. P/S

2:00AM Triumph of the Will (1934) Adolf Hitler and Rudolph Hess. Dir: Leni Riefenstahl. National Socialist German Workers Party, 114 min. Premiere #1

4:00AM The Wonderful, Horrible Life of Leni Riefenstahl (2002) Leni Riefenstahl. Dir: Ray Muller. Kino International, 188 min. P/S

November 10 -- Daytime: Claude Rains' Birthday

Today marks the 125th birthday of the great British actor Claude Rains, providing a convenient excuse to showcase some his best-known films.

7:15AM The Invisible Man (1933) Claude Rains and Gloria Stuart. Dir: James Whale. Universal Pictures Corp., 72 min. P/S

8:30AM The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland. Dir: Michael Curtiz. Warner Bros. Pictures Inc., 102 min.

10:15AM Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939) James Stewart and Jean Arthur. Dir: Frank Capra. Columbia Pictures Corp., 130 min. P/S

12:30PM Now, Voyager (1942) Bette Davis and Paul Henreid. Dir: Irving Rapper. Warner Bros. Pictures Inc., 117 min.

2:30PM Notorious (1946) Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman. Dir: Alfred Hitchcock. RKO Radio Pictures Inc., 101 min.

4:15PM Lawrence of Arabia (1962) Peter O?Toole and Alec Guinness. Dir: David Lean. Columbia Pictures, 216 min. P/S

November 10 -- Primetime: Hollywood on Hollywood

In fulfilling the first part of the challenge requirements, this evening we present four classic films from the 1950s that are all about the movie industry itself.

8:00PM Sunset Boulevard (1950) William Holden and Gloria Swanson. Dir: Billy Wilder. Paramount Pictures Corp., 110 min. P/S

10:00PM The Bad and the Beautiful (1953) Kirk Douglas and Lana Turner. Dir: Vincente Minnelli. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Corp., 118 min.

12:15AM Singin' in the Rain (1952) Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds. Dir: Stanley Donen. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Corp., 103 min.

2:15AM A Star is Born (1954) Judy Garland and James Mason. Dir: George Cukor. Warner Bros. Pictures Inc., 176 min. P/S

5:30AM Now Playing November (2014)

November 11 -- Daytime: Jerome Kern Scores

In fulfilling the second part of the challenge requirements, today's line-up of films feature six of the seven films for which Jerome Kern was Academy Award-nominated in the category of Best Original Song, and it's all capped off by the final film Kern worked on before his death -- his own biopic.

6:00AM Roberta (1935) Irene Dunne and Fred Astaire. Dir: William A. Seiter. RKO Radio Pictures Inc., 106 min.

8:00AM Swing Time (1936) Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. Dir: George Stevens. RKO Radio Pictures Inc., 104 min.

10:00AM Lady Be Good (1941) Eleanor Powell and Ann Sothern. Dir: Norman Z. McLeod. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Corp., 112 min.

12:00PM You Were Never Lovelier (1942) Fred Astaire and Rita Hayworth. Dir: William A. Seiter. Columbia Pictures Corp., 98 min. P/S

1:45PM Cover Girl (1944) Rita Hayworth and Gene Kelly. Dir: Charles Vidor. Columbia Pictures Inc., 107 min. P/S

3:45PM Can't Help Singing (1944) Deanna Durbin and Robert Paige. Dir: Frank Ryan. Universal Pictures Company Inc., 89 min. P/S

5:30PM Till the Clouds Roll By (1947) June Allyson and Lucille Bremmer. Dir: Richard Whorf. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Corp., 136 min.

November 11 -- Primetime: Veterans' Day -- Lewis Milestone's War

November 11 is Veterans' Day in the States (Remembrance Day in Canada), so this evening we present director Lewis Milestone's informal trilogy of war films.

8:00PM All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) Louis Wolheim and Lew Ayres. Dir: Lewis Milestone. Universal Pictures Corp., 133 min. P/S

10:30PM A Walk in the Sun (1946) Dana Andrews and Richard Conte. Dir: Lewis Milestone. Twentieth-Century-Fox Film Corp., 117 min. P/S

12:45AM Pork Chop Hill (1959) Gregory Peck and Rip Torn. Dir: Lewis Milestone. United Artists Corp., 98 min. P/S

2:30AM Apocalypse Now (1979) Martin Sheen and Marlon Brando. Dir: Francis Ford Coppolla. United Artists Films, 153 min. P/S

5:15AM Good Morning, Vietnam (1987) Robin Williams and Forrest Whitaker. Dir: Barry Levinson. Walt Disney Studios, 121 min. P/S

November 12 -- Daytime: Starring Grace Kelly

It's the birthday of Grace Kelly -- need I say more?

7:30AM Westinghouse Studio One: The Rockingham Tea Set (1950) Grace Kelly and Louise Allbritton. Dir: Franklin J. Schaffner. 59 min, P/S

8:45AM High Noon (1952) Gary Cooper and Thomas Mitchell. Dir: Fred Zinnemann. United Artists Corp., 85 min. P/S

10:15AM Mogambo (1953) Clark Gable and Ava Gardner. Dir: John Ford. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Corp., 117 min.

12:15PM Rear Window (1954) James Stewart and Grace Kelly. Dir: Alfred Hitchcock. Paramount Pictures Corp., 113 min. P/S

2:15PM The Country Girl (1955) Bing Crosby and Grace Kelly. Dir: George Seaton. Paramount Pictures Corp., 105 min. P/S

4:15PM The Bridges at Toko-Ri (1955) William Holden and Grace Kelly. Dir: Mark Robson. Paramount Pictures Corp., 102 min. P/S

6:00PM High Society (1956) Bing Crosby and Grace Kelly. Dir: Charles Walters. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Corp., 107 min.

November 12 -- Primetime: Star of the Month Charles Boyer

Our Star of the Month this month is the versatile Charles Boyer -- a man with unique record of great motion pictures and someone who is, in my opinion, long overdue for some kind of tribute on TCM.

8:00PM Tales of Manhattan (1942) Charles Boyer and Rita Hayworth. Twentieth-Century-Fox Film Corp., 118 min. LP Premiere

10:15PM Back Street (1941) Charles Boyer and Margaret Sullavan. Dir: Robert Stevenson. Universal Pictures Company Inc., 89 min. P/S

12:00AM The Constant Nymph (1943) Charles Boyer and Joan Fontaine. Dir: Edmond Goulding. Warner Bros. Pictures Inc., 106 min.

2:00AM Gaslight (1944) Charles Boyer and Ingrid Bergman. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Corp., 114 min.

4:00AM Confidential Agent (1945) Charles Boyer and Lauren Bacall. Dir: Herman Shumlin. Warner Bros. Pictures Inc., 118 min.

November 13 -- Daytime: Directed by H.C. Potter

Director H.C. Potter's meager filmography over two decades spent toiling at United Artists, MGM, RKO, and Warner Bros. would suggest some sort of Maggo-ish ineptitude. Yet he crossed paths professionally with many of the greatest stars of the twentieth century -- Merle Oberon, James Stewart, Gary Cooper, Cary Grant, Myrna Loy, Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers, Susan Hayward, and Kirk Douglas to name a few. Today, the spotlight shines on an overlooked, oft-forgotten, and ill-remembered director from Hollywood's 'Golden Age'.

6:15AM Beloved Enemy (1936) Merle Oberon and Brian Aherne. Dir: H.C. Potter. United Artists Corp., 90 min. P/S

8:00AM The Shopworn Angel (1938) Margaret Sullavan and James Stewart. Dir: H.C. Potter. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Corp., 86 min.

9:30AM The Cowboy and the Lady (1938) Gary Cooper and Merle Oberon. Dir: H.C. Potter. United Artists Corp., 91 min. P/S

11:15AM The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle (1939) Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. Dir: H.C. Potter. RKO Radio Pictures Inc., 94 min.

1:00PM Mr. Lucky (1943) Cary Grant and Laraine Day. Dir: H.C. Potter. RKO Radio Pictures Inc., 100 min.

2:45PM The Farmer's Daughter (1947) Loretta Young and Joseph Cotton. Dir: H.C. Potter. RKO Radio Pictures Inc., 98 min.

4:30PM Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (1948) Cary Grant and Myrna Loy. Dir: H.C. Potter. RKO Radio Pictures Inc., 94 min.

6:15PM Top Secret Affair (1957) Susan Hayward and Kirk Douglas. Dir: H.C. Potter. Warner Bros. Pictures Inc., 101 min. P/S

November 13 -- Primetime: New York Held Hostage

Tonight we feature a series of films about criminal activities in New York City, beginning with the TCM Premiere of Fort Apache, The Bronx (1981), starring Paul Newman and Edward Asner

8:00PM Fort Apache, The Bronx (1981) Paul Newman and Edward Asner. Dir: Donald Petrie. 20th Century Fox, 125 min. Premiere #2

10:15PM Dog Day Afternoon (1975) Al Pacino and John Cazale. Dir: Sidney Lumet. Warner Bros. Pictures, 125 min. P/S

12:30PM The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974) Walter Matthau and Robert Shaw. Dir: Joseph Sargent. United Artists Films, 105 min. P/S

2:30AM The Incident (1967) Martin Sheen and Beau Bridges. Dir: Larry Peerce. Twentieth-Century-Fox Film Corp., 107 min. P/S

4:30AM The Seven-Ups (1973) Roy Scheider and Victor Arnold. Dir: Philip D?Antoni. 20th Century Fox, 103 min. P/S

November 14 -- Daytime: Veronica Lake/Dick Powell

Today we salute the birthdays of Veronica Lake and Dick Powell together, with a selection of their best-known films intertwined throughout the day -- including the pictures each of them made with director Preston Sturges airing back-to-back.

6:15AM I Married a Witch (1942) Fredric March and Veronica Lake. Dir: Rene Clair. United Artists Productions Inc., 77 min. P/S

7:45AM Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933) Warren William and Joan Blondell. Dir: Mervyn LeRoy. Warner Bros. Pictures Inc., 98 min.

9:30AM The Glass Key (1942) Brian Donlevy and Veronica Lake. Dir: Stuart Heisler. Paramount Pictures Inc., 86 min. P/S

11:00AM Sullivan's Travels (1942) Joel McCrea and Veronica Lake. Dir: Preston Sturges. Paramount Pictures Inc., 91 min. P/S

12:45PM Christmas in July (1940) Dick Powell and Ellen Drew. Dir: Preston Sturges. Paramount Pictures, 67 min. P/S

2:00PM So Proudly We Hail! (1943) Claudette Colbert and Paulette Goddard. Dir: Mark Sandrich. Paramount Pictures Inc., 126 min. P/S

4:15PM The Bad and the Beautiful (1953) Kirk Douglas and Lana Turner. Dir: Vincente Minnelli. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Corp., 118 min.

6:15PM The Blue Dahlia (1946) Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake. Dir: George Marshall. Paramount Pictures Inc., 96 min. P/S

November 14 -- Friday Night Spotlight: Journalism in the Movies

This month's Friday Night Spotlight is all about journalism in the movies. Tonight we present two double features. The first we call 'Female Reporters' (featuring Rosalind Russell and Jane Fonda). The second double feature is called 'Journalists on a Mission' (featuring James Stewart and Humphrey Bogart).

8:00PM His Girl Friday (1940) Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell. Dir: Howard Hawks. Columbia Pictures Corp., 92 min. P/S

9:45PM The China Syndrome (1979) Jane Fonda and Jack Lemmon. Dir: James Bridges. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc., 123 min.

12:00AM Deadline--USA (1952) Humphrey Bogart and Ethel Barrymore. Dir: Richard Brooks. Twentieth-Century-Fox Film Corp., 87 min. P/S

1:45AM Call Northside 777 (1948) James Stewart and Lee J. Cobb. Dir: Henry Hathaway. Twentieth-Century-Fox Film Corp., 112 min. P/S

3:45AM Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1938) James Stewart and Jean Arthur. Dir: Frank Capra. Columbia Pictures Corp., 129 min. P/S

November 15 -- Daytime: Composed by Saul Chaplin

Today we celebrate the birthday of composer Saul Chaplin with a sampling of his work

6:00AM Tonight and Every Night (1945) Rita Hayworth and Lee Bowman. Dir: Victor Saville. Columbia Pictures Corp., 92 min. P/S

7:45AM The Jolson Story (1947) Larry Parks and Evelyn Keyes. Dir: Alfred E. Green. Columbia Pictures Corp., 129 min. P/S

10:00AM Summer Stock (1950) Judy Garland and Gene Kelly. Dir: Charles Walters. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Corp., 110 min.

12:00PM Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954) Howard Keel and Jane Powell. Dir: Stanley Donen. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Corp., 103 min.

2:00PM West Side Story (1961) Natalie Wood and Russ Tamblyn. Dir: Robert Wise. United Artists Corp., 152 min. P/S

4:45PM Star! (1968) Julie Andrews and Richard Crenna. Dir: Robert Wise. Twentieth-Century-Fox Film Corp., 176 min. P/S

November 15 -- The Essentials: Directed by Elia Kazan

This week's edition of 'The Essentials' provides an opportunity to showcase three films from director Elia Kazan.

8:00PM On the Waterfront (1954) Marlon Brando and Eva Marie Saint. Dir: Elia Kazan. Columbia Pictures Corp., 108 min. P/S

10:00PM A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945) Dorothy McGuire and Joan Blondell. Dir: Elia Kazan. Twentieth-Century-Fox Film Corp., 128 min. P/S

12:15AM Splendor in the Grass (1961) Natalie Wood and Warren Beatty. Dir: Elia Kazan. Warner Bros. Pictures, 124 min. P/S

November 15 -- TCM Underground: Big Tobacco

This week's TCM Underground feature is Cold Turkey (1971), directed by Norman Lear and featuring a bevy of actors familiar to TV audiences of the 1960s and '70s. The film is also notable for marking the last film appearance of Edward Everett Horton. This is followed up by another comedy about big tobacco, this one from 2006 and directed by Jason Reitman.

2:30AM Cold Turkey (1971) Dick Van Dyke and Bob Newhart. Dir: Norman Lear. United Artists Corp., 100 min. P/S

4:15AM Thank You for Smoking (2006) Aaron Eckhart and Maria Bello. Dir: Jason Reitman. 20th Century Fox, 92 min. Premiere #4.

Wow! Remy and obrienmundy, you guys are setting the bar high, turning in your papers, which the teacher will give a big fat A+, while the rest of us are still sitting in class trying to think of something to write. I'm just glad that neither of you used the feature of Sunset Boulevard that I'm considering.

Remy, I love the idea of featuring contract directors. H.C. Potter is an excellent choice. Totally obscure, yet TCM fans know some of his work. Charles Boyer would make an excellent SOTM.

So would Sylvia Sidney, which gives us the chance to see a number of interesting 1930s movies. Love the David Raksin tribute.

obrienmundy,

I feel this is a wonderful schedule! I like in particular the tributes to: Marie Dressler, Greer Garson, Edith Head and Sylvia Sidney. The day of Ernst Lubitsch is perfect! I would love to have a day of noir and a day of pre-codes each week. I do hope TCM Programmers are paying attention!

Remy_Orpen,

You are truly setting the bar high. The fact of contract directors is new to me and you have presented a wonderful overview. Claude Rains is one of my favorite actors. Charles Boyer is an excellent choice for Star of the Month. Elia Kazan is a great director.

I will note that I believe it was not necessary for you to use your Premiere #1 for: *Triumph of the Will* (1934) because the TCM Import feature is exempt from the premiere count.

I wish that I could say that my schedule will soon be done but that is unwarranted optimism. I am in particular having more difficulty than usual in remembering the alphabet and so finding a movie in a list is harder than usual.

Wow, two fantastic schedules already! I love the way you both rose to the challenge! Very clever!

I am anxious to see obrienmundy's programming notes, however... :)

wow Remy and OBrien, great schedules!

I'm worried that my schedule is not as creative as yours; but I'm hoping that I'm able to fulfill the requirements imaginatively. Most of my schedule is what would be my dream TCM schedule. Lol.

SansFin's Schedule for TCM Programming Challenge #25

This schedule is for the week beginning April 26, 2015.

The theme for this week is: *People*

The Star of the Month is: *Yul Brynner*

Sunday, April 26

That kind of man

6:00 AM *September Affair* (1950) Joan Fontaine, Joseph Cotten, Fran?oise Rosay. Dir: William Dieterle. Paramount, 104mins., Premiere #1

7:45 AM *The Private Life Of Henry VIII* (1933) Charles Laughton, Merle Oberon, Wendy Barrie. Dir: Alexander Korda. London Film, 97mins., P/S

9:30 AM *The Seven Year Itch* (1955) Marilyn Monroe, Tom Ewell, Evelyn Keyes. Dir: Billy Wilder. Fox, 105mins., P/S

11:15 AM *Love In The Afternoon* (1957) Gary Cooper, Audrey Hepburn, Maurice Chevalier. Dir: Billy Wilder. Allied Artists, 130mins., P/S

1:30 PM *Avanti!* (1972) Jack Lemmon, Juliet Mills, Clive Revill. Dir: Billy Wilder. Mirisch, 140mins., P/S

4:00 PM *Boys' Night Out* (1962) Kim Novak, James Garner, Tony Randall. Dir: Michael Gordon. MGM, 113mins.

6:00 PM *Lucr?ce Borgia* (1953) Martine Carol, Pedro Armend?riz, Valentine Tessier. Dir: Christian-Jaque. Filmsonor, 120mins., Premiere #2

That kind of woman

8:00 PM *Madame Du Barry* (1934) Dolores Del Rio, Reginald Owen, Victor Jory. Dir: William Dieterle. WB, 79mins.

9:30 PM *Safe In Hell* (1931) Dorothy Mackaill, Donald Cook, John Wray. Dir: William A Wellman. First National, 73mins., P/S

10:45 PM *Frisco Jenny* (1932) Ruth Chatterton, Louis Calhern, Helen Jerome Eddy. Dir: William A Wellman. First National, 73mins., P/S

Silent Sunday Night

12:00 AM *Camille* (1926) Gilbert Roland, Norma Talmadge, Lilyan Tashman. Dir: Fred Niblo. Talmadge Film, 108mins., Exempt

TCM Import

2:00 AM *Saawariya* (2007) Ranbir Kapoor, Sonam Kapoor, Rani Mukerji. Dir: Sanjay Leela Bhansali. SPE Films, 142mins., Exempt

4:30 AM *Anna Christie* (1930) Greta Garbo, Charles Bickford, Marie Dressler. Dir: Clarence Brown. MGM, 90mins.

Monday, April 27

People of Peace

6:00 AM *Flowers of St. Francis* (1950) Aldo Fabrizi, Pino Locci, Peparuolo. Dir: Roberto Rossellini. Cineriz, 75mins., P/S

7:15 AM *Becket* (1964) Richard Burton, Peter O'Toole, John Gielgud. Dir: Peter Glenville. Paramount, 148mins., P/S

9:45 AM *Andrei Rublev* (1969) Anatoli Solonitzine, Nikolay Sergeyev, N. Grinko. Dir: Andrey Tarkovskiy. Mosfilm, 205mins., P/S

1:15 PM *Brother Orchid* (1940) Edward G Robinson, Ann Sothern, Humphrey Bogart. Dir: Lloyd Bacon. WB, 88mins.

2:45 PM *Joan Of Paris* (1942) Paul Henreid, Michele Morgan, Alan Ladd. Dir: Robert Stevenson. RKO, 92mins.

4:30 PM *Saint Joan* (1957) Jean Seberg, Richard Widmark, Richard Todd. Dir: Otto Preminger. Wheel Prod., 110mins., P/S

6:30 PM *The Garden Of Allah* (1936) Marlene Dietrich, Charles Boyer, Basil Rathbone. Dir: Richard Boleslawski. Selznick, 79mins., P/S

People of War

8:00 PM *Two Army Comrades* (1968) Oleg Yankovskiy, Rolan Bykov, Anatoliy Papanov. Dir: Yevgeni Karelov. Mosfilm, 99mins., Premiere #3

9:45 PM *The Forty-first* (1956) Izolda Izvitskaya, Oleg Strizhenov, Nikolay Kryuchkov. Dir: Grigoriy Chukhray. Mosfilm, 88mins., Premiere #4

11:15 PM *Quiet Flows the Don* (1957) Pyotr Glebov, Elina Bystritskaya, Zinaida Kirienko. Dir: Sergei Gerasimov. Gorky Film, 340mins., Premiere #5

5:00 AM *Scarlet Dawn* (1932) Douglas Fairbanks Jr, Nancy Carroll, Earle Foxe. Dir: William Dieterle. WB, 57mins.

Tuesday, April 28

Who are these People?

6:00 AM *A Stolen Life* (1946) Bette Davis, Glenn Ford, Dane Clark. Dir: Curtis Bernhardt. WB, 107mins.

8:00 AM *Dead Ringer* (1964) Bette Davis, Karl Malden, Peter Lawford. Dir: Paul Henreid. WB, 116mins., P/S

10:00 AM *The Prisoner Of Zenda* (1937) Ronald Colman, Madeleine Carroll, C Aubrey Smith. Dir: John Cromwell. Selznick, 101mins., P/S

11:45 AM *The Prince And The Pauper* (1937) Errol Flynn, Claude Rains, Henry Stephenson. Dir: William Keighley. WB, 118mins.

1:45 PM *Twin Husbands* (1946) John Miljan, Shirley Grey, Monroe Owsley. Dir: Frank R. Strayer. RKO, 68mins.

3:00 PM *The Great Dictator* (1940) Charles Chaplin, Paulette Goddard, Jack Oakie. Dir: Charles Chaplin. Chaplin Productions, 120mins., P/S

5:00 PM *Kagemusha* (1980) Tatsuya Nakadai, Tsutomu Yamazaki, Kenichi Hagiwara. Dir: Akira Kurosawa. Toho, 179mins., P/S

Birthday Tribute to Special Effects Artist Warren Newcombe

8:00 PM *The Mask Of Fu Manchu* (1932) Boris Karloff, Lewis Stone, Myrna Loy. Dir: Charles Brabin. MGM, 68mins.

9:15 PM *The Glass Slipper* (1955) Leslie Caron, Michael Wilding, Keenan Wynn. Dir: Charles Walters. MGM, 93mins.

11:00 PM *Angels In The Outfield* (1951) Paul Douglas, Janet Leigh, Keenan Wynn. Dir: Clarence Brown. MGM, 99mins.

12:45 AM *Kismet* (1944) Ronald Colman, Marlene Dietrich, James Craig. Dir: William Dieterle. MGM, 100mins.

2:30 AM *I Married An Angel* (1942) Jeanette MacDonald, Nelson Eddy, Edward Everett Horton. Dir: Maj W S Van Dyke II. MGM, 85mins.

4:00 AM *Yolanda And The Thief* (1945) Fred Astaire, Lucille Bremer, Frank Morgan. Dir: Vincente Minnelli. MGM, 108mins.

Wednesday, April 29

New People

6:00 AM *And Baby Makes Three* (1949) Robert Young, Barbara Hale, Robert Hutton. Dir: Henry Levin. Santana, 84mins., P/S

7:30 AM *Where Were You When The Lights Went Out?* (1968) Doris Day, Robert Morse, Terry-Thomas. Dir: Hy Averback. MGM, 90mins.

9:00 AM *The Devil Within Her* (1975) Joan Collins, Eileen Atkins, Donald Pleasence. Dir: Peter Sasdy. Rank, 95mins., P/S

10:45 AM *It's Alive* (1974) John P. Ryan, Sharon Farrell, James Dixon. Dir: Larry Cohen. Larco, 91mins., P/S

12:30 PM *The Bed Sitting Room* (1969) Rita Tushingham, Ralph Richardson, Peter Cook. Dir: Richard Lester. Lewenstein Prod., 91mins., P/S

2:15 PM *A Woman Rebels* (1936) Katharine Hepburn, Herbert Marshall, Donald Crisp. Dir: Mark Sandrich. RKO, 88mins.

3:45 PM *Mary Stevens, M.D.* (1933) Kay Francis, Lyle Talbot, Glenda Farrell. Dir: Lloyd Bacon. WB, 72mins.

5:00 PM *Lilly Turner* (1933) Ruth Chatterton, George Brent, Frank McHugh. Dir: William A Wellman. First National, 65mins., P/S

6:15 PM *Casanova Brown* (1944) Gary Cooper, Teresa Wright, Frank Morgan. Dir: Sam Wood. International, 94mins., P/S

Guest Fan Programmer: Lonesome Polecat

8:00 PM *Tales of Manhattan* (1942) Henry Fonda, Ginger Rogers, Edward G Robinson. Dir: Julien Duvivier. Fox, 118mins., LP Premiere

10:00 PM *Dear Brigitte* (1965) James Stewart, Bill Mumy, Glynis Johns. Dir: Henry Koster. Fox, 100mins., LP Premiere

11:45 PM *Damn Yankees* (1958) Gwen Verdon, Ray Walston, Tab Hunter. Dir: Stanley Donen. WB, 111mins., LP Premiere

1:45 AM *The Happiest Millionaire* (1967) Fred MacMurray, Tommy Steele, Greer Garson. Dir: Norman Tokar. Disney, 164mins., LP Premiere

4:30 AM *Babes in Toyland* (1934) Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy, Virginia Karns. Dir: Gus Meins. MGM, 77mins.

Thursday, April 30

Old People

6:00 AM *The Madwoman Of Chaillot* (1969) Katharine Hepburn, Charles Boyer, Claude Dauphin. Dir: Bryan Forbes . Commonwealth United, 132mins., P/S

8:15 AM *The Ladykillers* (1955) Alec Guinness, Peter Sellers, Katie Johnson. Dir: Alexander Mackendrick. Ealing, 91mins., P/S

10:00 AM *Bob le Flambeur* (1955) Roger Duchesne, Isabelle Corey, Daniel Cauchy. Dir: Jean-Pierre Melville . Play Art, 98mins., P/S

11:45 AM *On Borrowed Time* (1939) Lionel Barrymore, Sir Cedric Hardwicke, Beulah Bondi. Dir: Harold S Bucquet. MGM, 99mins.

1:30 PM *Arsenic And Old Lace* (1944) Cary Grant, Priscilla Lane, Raymond Massey. Dir: Frank Capra. WB, 118mins.

3:30 PM *Tokyo Story* (1953) Chishu Ryu, Chieko Higashiyama, Setsuko Hara. Dir: Yasujiro Ozu. Sh?chiku Eiga, 136mins., P/S

6:00 PM *Scrooge* (1970) Albert Finney, Alec Guinness, Edith Evans. Dir: Ronald Neame. Cinema Center, 113mins., P/S

Star of the Month: Yul Brynner

8:00 PM *Taras Bulba* (1962) Yul Brynner, Tony Curtis, Christine Kaufmann. Dir: J Lee Thompson. Avala, 122mins., P/S

10:15 PM *Anastasia* (1956) Yul Brynner, Ingrid Bergman, Helen Hayes. Dir: Anatole Litvak. Fox, 105mins., P/S

12:00 AM *The Journey* (1959) Deborah Kerr, Yul Brynner, Jason Robards Jr. Dir: Anatole Litvak. Alby Pictures, 126mins., P/S

2:15 AM *Once More With Feeling!* (1960) Yul Brynner, Kay Kendall, Geoffrey Toone. Dir: Stanley Donen. Donen Films, 92mins., P/S

4:00 AM *Kings Of The Sun* (1963) Yul Brynner, George Chakiris, Shirley Anne Field. Dir: J Lee Thompson. Mirisch, 108mins., P/S

Friday, May 1

One Step Beyond People

6:00 AM *The Ghost and Mrs. Muir* (1947) Gene Tierney, Rex Harrison, George Sanders. Dir: Joseph L. Mankiewicz. Fox, 104mins., P/S

7:45 AM *Goodness, a Ghost* (1940) Harry Langdon. Dir: Harry D'Arcy. RKO, 15mins.,

8:00 AM *The Canterville Ghost* (1944) Charles Laughton, Robert Young, Margaret O'Brien. Dir: Jules Dassin. MGM, 96mins.

9:45 AM *Portrait of Jennie* (1948) Jennifer Jones, Joseph Cotten, Ethel Barrymore. Dir: William Dieterle. Vanguard, 86mins., P/S

11:15 AM *A Christmas Carol* (1951) Alastair Sim, Kathleen Harrison, Mervyn Johns. Dir: Brian Desmond-Hurst. Minter Prod., 86mins., P/S

12:45 PM *Topper* (1937) Cary Grant, Constance Bennett, Roland Young. Dir: Norman Z McLeod. Hal Roach, 97mins., P/S

2:30 PM *Topper Takes a Trip* (1939) Constance Bennett, Roland Young, Billie Burke. Dir: Norman Z McLeod. Hal Roach, 80mins., P/S

4:00 PM *Topper Returns* (1941) Joan Blondell, Roland Young, Billie Burke. Dir: Roy Del Ruth. Hal Roach, 88mins., P/S

5:30 PM *The Return Of Peter Grimm* (1935) Lionel Barrymore, Helen Mack, Edward Ellis. Dir: George Nicholls Jr. Radio Pictures, 83mins., P/S

7:00 PM *The Rockingham Tea Set* (1950) Louise Albritton, Katherine Emmett, Grace Kelly. Dir: Franklin J Schaffner. CBS, 60mins., P/S

Friday Night Spotlight: Unconventional Storytelling Techniques

Dead Men *Do* Tell Tales: Narrators who are Deceased

8:00 PM *Russian Ark* (2002) Sergey Dreyden, Mariya Kuznetsova, Leonid Mozgovoy. Dir: Aleksandr Sokurov. Hermitage, 99mins., P/S

9:45 PM *Grave of the Fireflies* (1988) Tsutomu Tatsumi, Ayano Shiraishi, Akemi Yamaguchi. Dir: Isao Takahata. Studio Ghibli , 89mins., P/S

11:15 PM *Leningrad* (2009) Mira Sorvino, Armin Mueller-Stahl, Olga Sutulova. Dir: Aleksandr Buravskiy. Leningrad Prodakshn, 110mins., Premiere #6

1:15 AM *The Masque Of The Red Death* (1964) Vincent Price, Hazel Court, Jane Asher. Dir: Roger Corman. Alta Vista, 86mins., P/S

2:45 AM *Life Tastes Good* (1999) Sab Shimono, Julia Nickson, Tamlyn Tomita . Dir: Philip Kan Gotanda. LTG Prod., 88mins., Premiere #7

4:15 AM *Here Comes Mr. Jordan* (1941) Robert Montgomery, Evelyn Keyes, Claude Rains. Dir: Alexander Hall. Columbia, 94mins., P/S

Satruday, May 2

De-People-izing

6:00 AM *Bluebeard* (1944) John Carradine, Jean Parker, Nils Asther. Dir: Edgar G Ulmer. PRC, 72mins., P/S

7:15 AM *Kind Hearts and Coronets* (1949) Alec Guinness, Dennis Price, Joan Greenwood. Dir: Robert Hamer. Ealing, 106mins., P/S

9:15 AM *The Mystery Of Mr. X* (1934) Robert Montgomery, Elizabeth Allan, Lewis Stone. Dir: Edgar Selwyn. MGM, 84mins.

10:45 AM *The Black Cat* (1968) Kichiemon Nakamura, Nobuko Otowa, Kei Sat?. Dir: Kaneto Shind?. Toho, 99mins., Premiere #8

12:30 PM *The List of Adrian Messenger* (1963) George C. Scott, Dana Wynter, Clive Brook. Dir: John Huston. Joel Prod., 98mins., Premiere #9

2:15 PM *The Unholy Night* (1929) Ernest Torrence, Roland Young, Boris Karloff. Dir: Lionel Barrymore. MGM, 92mins.

4:00 PM *Fail Safe* (1964) Henry Fonda, Dan O'Herlihy, Walter Matthau. Dir: Sidney Lumet. Columbia, 112mins., P/S

6:00 PM *Frenzy* (1972) Jon Finch, Barry Foster, Alec McCowen. Dir: Alfred Hitchcock. Universal, 116mins., P/S

De-People-izing via Shotgun

The Essentials

8:00 PM *Laura* (1944) Gene Tierney, Dana Andrews, Clifton Webb. Dir: Otto Preminger. Fox, 88mins., P/S

9:45 PM *Vsadniki* (1942) Lev Sverdlin, Pyotr Masokha, Viktor Arkasov. Dir: Igor Savchenko. Kiev Film Studio, 94mins., Premiere #10

11:30 PM *Riding Shotgun* (1954) Randolph Scott, Wayne Morris, Joan Weldon. Dir: Andre DeToth . WB, 75mins., P/S

12:45 AM *Dementia 13* (1963) William Campbell, Luana Anders, Bart Patton. Dir: Francis Coppola. Filmgroup, 75mins., P/S

TCM Underground

2:00 AM *Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels* (1998) Jason Flemyng, Dexter Fletcher, Nick Moran. Dir: Guy Ritchie. Summit, 107mins., Exempt

4:00 AM *Bullitt* (1968) Steve McQueen, Robert Vaughn, Jacqueline Bisset. Dir: Peter Yates. WB, 114mins., P/S

Premieres:

*September Affair* (1950)

*Lucr?ce Borgia* (1953)

*Two Army Comrades* (1968)

*The Forty-first* (1956)

*Quiet Flows the Don*

*Leningrad* (2009)

*Life Tastes Good* (1999)

*The Black Cat* (1968)

*The List of Adrian Messenger* (1963)

*Vsadniki* (1942)

Exempt Premieres:

Silent Sunday Night: *Camille* (1926)

TCM Import: *Saawariya* (2007)

TCM Underground: *Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels* (1998)

LPExempt Premieres:

*Tales of Manhattan* (1942)

*Dear Brigitte* (1965)

*Damn Yankees* (1958)

*The Happiest Millionaire* (1967)

Challenge Requirements:

Deconstructing *Sunset Blvd* (1950)

Friday Evening's: Dead Men Do Tell Tales

Celebrating Behind-the-Scenes Artists

Tuesday Evening's: Birthday Tribute to Special Effects Artist Warren Newcombe

Ghost Writing

Wednesday Evening's: Guest Fan Programmer: Lonesome Polecat

Date Range:

1920s: 2

1930s: 19

1940s: 22

1950s: 19

1960s: 19

1970s: 5

1980s: 2

1990s: 2

2000s: 3

Program Notes for: SansFin's Schedule for TCM Programming Challenge #25

This schedule is for the week beginning April 26, 2015.

The theme for this week is: *People*

The Star of the Month is: *Yul Brynner*

I had many ideas waiting to be used for this Challenge. They are yet waiting as I did not use any of them. The requirement to use an element of: *Sunset Blvd.* (1950) led me to the silly theme of: Dead Men Do Tell Tales. That led to a day of ghosts and a day of old people who are on the verge of becoming ghosts and it all devolved from there.

I am happy to say that I found spots for some of my favorite movies which may be new to many:

*Lucr?ce Borgia* (1953) is one of the best period dramas of its era. She is one of my heroes. I feel this movie presents her as moderate but that may be so that audiences would find her more sympathetic. The amoral man which qualifies this movie for this theme is her brother: C?sar Borgia.

*Saawariya* (2007) is one of the few modern movies which I love. The cinematography is exceptionally beautiful. The intertwining of emotions and complexities of the hearts is very powerful. A life-loving drifter falls in love with an enigmatic woman who is in love with an enigmatic man who may not return for her. A sensible prostitute loves the drifter and has the sense to let her love manifest only as teasing. This movie is glorious in all aspects.

*Two Army Comrades* (1968) is of a young man who should not be in a war and he should be on the other side of this war. He is teamed with a man at the other end of the social and philosophical spectrum from him. Their friendship is simultaneously strong and non-existent. This movie goes far beyond these two and shows how many people involved in the struggle were ill-equipped philosophically and psychologically for what they had to do. There are scenes at the end which I believe will stay with a viewer for many years.

*The Forty-first* (1956) is a simple tale of enemies who find a temporary escape from war and fall in love. That simplicity carries powerful emotions which swept me away.

*Quiet Flows the Don* (1957). There has been much talk of a John Gilbert movie about Cossacks which is to appear on TCM. This movie is not a Hollywood fabrication of myths, misinformation and lies. It is of real Cossacks and their loves, loyalties and struggles. I feel it show the soul of the people and what they endured.

*Kagemusha* (1980) shows how a person can become more than they are when inspired by greatness.

I have filled the requirement for behind-the-scenes by a birthday tribute to Special Effects Artist Warren Newcombe. He did few spectaculars. His brilliance was in heightening simple actions by actors so they filled us with awe. He hid his work so that we attributed the magic to the characters.

I believe that many here believe that TCM should bring in fans to be Guest Programmers. I take this opportunity to nominate LonesomePolecat for such an appearance by presenting an evening of the movies listed as an optional requirement.

The theme: Dead Men Do Tell Tales is to fulfill the requirement for showing an aspect of: *Sunset Blvd.* (1950). I believe this would fit well with a month of: Friday Night Spotlight which presents different techniques by which movies tell their stories. Other nights might feature movies which rely heavily on flashbacks, which involve the camera as a character and which use scenes in both color and black and white.

*Leningrad* (2009) is a powerful movie of one of the greatest tragedies of the Twentieth Century. I am sorry to say that I am not able to express to any great degree how it puts emotions in sharp contrast to circumstances and celebrates tiny moments of joy during months of heartbreaking despair. I believe all who watch it will be deeply affected.

*Life Tastes Good* (1999) is an odd little movie which I wish was more well-known. I hesitate to speak of it because it would all be spoilers because the movie unfolds in a way which is natural but unexpected and that unexpectedness is the heart of the experience.

*The Black Cat* (1968) is not the movie of the same name which is widely lauded in this forum. This one is truly frightening. The cinematography is superb and it adds to the terror. I feel Japanese horror movies appeal less to the brain than Western movies do and so they delve into viewers' most primitive emotions and awaken fears which lie deep within our bones.

*The List of Adrian Messenger* (1963) is a movie which I feel is wrongly maligned because of the gimmick of having many famous actors in cameo roles. I feel that if a person can ignore that cheapness then they will see a very nice little murder mystery which is well-developed and nicely presented by solid actors.

*Vsadniki* (1942) shows what I feel most movies of war lack in that it is people fighting for their homes. Their struggles and passion and determination are far greater than any common soldier's.

*Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels* (1998) will likely never be shown on TCM. I feel that is a shame because a viewer who can put the language and violence into perspective of the setting will find a wonderful mix of tragedy, pathos and outrageous humor.

I thank you for your kind words. Mine is far less than exceptional as evidenced by the fact that I had to edit it twice because of obvious mistakes which I did not see even although I spend a great deal of time proofreading it. I am sure there are other mistakes which I can not see.

SansFin, no one is surprised that your schedule is as fantastic and creative as we have come to expect from you. But I gotta say I love being scheduled as a guest programmer. I guess that's every TCM fan's dream. :)