Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So Many People to Grieve For!

Palmerin

Paul Walker and Philip Seymour Hoffman died so soon, just when I was getting used to the prospect of seeing more of them in the coming decades. On the other hand you have someone like Charlton Heston, with whom I grew up, and who played so many larger than life characters--even his villains, such as Richelieu and Long John Silver, were full of charm and charisma--; someone whom you cannot believe will ever die!

That is a good question. Whose loss do you feel most keenly: someone young who still has a lot of achievement ahead, or someone who has been around so long that mortality seems not to apply to him?

I would take the opposite viewpoint, Dargo. I find it harder when an older star whose career I have followed leaves us (no matter even if they have lived a good number of years) because it's harder to lose someone who may feel like an old friend.

If it's a younger actor, of whom I may know relatively little, it's tougher for me to feel as much, no matter how tragic it may be that that he or she died young.

Well I fall in between Dargo and you. If someone young that has talent dies I'll grieve for the lost of future works by them. I admit this is a very selfish. I only would grieve over their actual death if they weren't the main cause behind their death.

When someone old dies I don't grieve much at all. Everything that lives, dies.

I am sorry to say that I fall into neither of the camps which you posit.

Actors generally makes less movies as they age and so their death is merely reaching zero point.

The death of young actors prevents us from enduring many bad movies which are made only because of the inertia of the star-power they established in their youth.

Actors are a renewable resource. One will spring up for each that is lost and they will be as good as those they replace.

I grieve only for suffering. I feel it is best to square the curve. By that I mean to live a good life until the moment that it ends. Knowing that the pain and suffering of debilitating illness facing an inevitable end is taking a great actor from us saddens me greatly.

There is little sense in grieving for anyone great or small as none of us get out of here alive. Just be thankful that that person or persons lived and was one of the great ones of Hollywood/World cinema and brought such vitality and pleasure to all of us who viewed their art, acting, direction, cinematography, etc. Celebrate their lives/accomplishments and just don't grieve for death is waiting for all of us.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings