Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Friday Night Spotlight: Food in the Movies

TopBilled

I'm a fan of Bordain. His new show on CNN is a big hit as well as The Taste on ABC so he is getting more mainstream each day.

But at first I felt the idea was corny, but after seeing the list of movies the theme is fine. (well just a fine as most themes TCM uses to connect movies).

Food in film...

"Trinity is Still My Name" - funny restaurant scene

"Animal House"....FOOD FIGHT!

John-Belushi-Animal-House-food-fight-pho

"Lady and The Tramp""

tramp.jpg

"Waiting..." (for the movie to end. *GROSS* .silly.gif )

waiting.jpg

But I need him....

Screen[ishot[/i]2010-11-15at11.16.53+AM.png]

whenever I see this...

PSP_CLOUDY_WITH_A_CHANCE_OF_MEATBALLS.jp

Can't wait for a film about this establishment

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2563015/WVa-pizza-worker-caught-****-sink-fired.html

Edited by: hamradio on Mar 7, 2014 9:14 PM

I do not know if it is in any manner associated that the 15th Programming Challenge set by lzcutter had as a requirement a night of movies of: "Food, Glorious Food." It has been stated by TCM Programmers that they use ideas which they find in the Challenges and many entrants have reported finding parts of their schedules in the true schedules.

I have compared the entries in that Challenge with the true schedule and it is sad to say that they did not appropriate any entry's theme-night schedule as a whole.

There are several movies ranging from: *The Gold Rush* (1925) to: *Babette's Feast* (1987) which were in the entries and are on the true schedule.

Has anyone out there seen The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, Her Lover ? If TCM showed it would have to be very late.

I think this was the first Helen Mirren movie I saw. She is now one of my favorites and one of the few actors who truly deserve to be called brilliant.

Had a well nourished stomach (kept growling) and mind after watching the two terrific films EAT DRINK MAN WOMAN and MOSTLY MARTHA last evening. As I had never seen either I was enthralled by both emotionally and the food.............................don't get me started on the exquisite food. I was all but licking and chewing the TV screen. Could swear I could smell the bounty at times. ONLY ONE QUESTION: How in the heck could everybody pictured be so thin their whole lives if they gorged on bounties like those pictures. Some shoulda been looking like Orson Wells and Marlon Brando late in their lives (and me).

Two really good films about food that I'm surprised they left out:

*La Grand Bouffe* ( *The Big Eat* ), a French film from 1972. If there was ever a movie about food this is it. However, it's not just about food, it's about excess, to an often nauseating degree. It's about jaw-droppingly extreme self-indulgence and hedonism.

Makes the decadence in "Wolf of Wall Street" look like a kiddies' birthday party.

It's fascinating, but also very unpleasant to watch. Still, since it focuses so much on food -and look at the title - I'm surprised they didn't try to get it. Maybe they did, and couldn't. Or maybe they backed away from such an outrageous exhibition of gluttony and lust. Wouldn't blame them, really.

No such criticism can be made of another French film TCM omitted from this month's line-up about food:

One of my favourite movies of all time, *The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie* (1973).

Directed by the great Luis Bunuel, it's a dryly funny look at a group of wealthy French (mostly) "bourgeoise". They keep trying to have dinner parties together, and keep getting interrupted, sometimes by military manouevres, sometimes by dreams, sometimes by random moments of lust. I love it, I think it's hilarious and strange and completely engaging.

(Don't know if Bunuel would have wanted me to find it "engaging", though.)

Anyway, there are lots of scenes of these people sitting down to sumptuous feasts, so it would have fit in quite nicely with the food theme.

I know TCM has aired it before. If they could have gotten the rights to show it this month, they should have.

I loved this series the first film was excellent the presentation of the food was amazing. I have seen "Martha" movie before in the German version they did make it into an American film with Catherine-Beta-Jones. AB was excellent.

I haven't seen the list of films for this series, but another good one would be C?MO AGUA PARA CHOCOLATE (1992). A frustrated spinster takes her revenge through magical realism and her culinary skills. Great fun and another you should watch on a full stomach.

I didn't watch any of them. Didn't seem to interest me. I DID tune in to see what was on, and found Bourdain blathering on about something.

I'm not a big fan of Anthony Bourdain. Not even a SMALL fan. I don't exactly know what he's famous FOR, except thinking he's hot sh!t. He leaves me with the impression that if you don't agree with what he says or does, then you don't matter.

Anyway, SOMEthing about him rubs me the wrong way...

Sepiatone

I watched Eat Drink Man Women and it was a very good and moving film. Bourdain gets gig after gig because his shows get good ratings (at least compared to other food ravel shows). I feel he gives a good overall views of the places he visits. i.e. he tells it like it is.

I only watched parts of Mostly Martha since I had seen the American version and therefore I already knew how the story went.

The title of the film that aired after *Eat Drink Man Woman* is actually *Mostly Martha* (2001), a German film. It's worth watching in its entirety because, in my opinion, the 2007 American version starring Catherine Zeta-Jones is inferior to the original.

Thanks for the correction (I don't know German well, ha ha). I admit I liked what I saw but reading subtitles when I already have a general idea what they are going to say, is just difficult for me.

But what I did watch provided a stronger emotional connection with the viewer about what was happening to the characters emotionally than the American version (which was emotionally kind of 'plastic' IMO).