Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Paramount before the Code at Film Forum

For anyone who lives close to New York City, the Film Forum will be showing about 40 films from the Paramount pre-code period. This festival takes place over the course of one month, from Friday, June 24 - Thursday, July 21. There are several little known films that will be shown, and also many hard to find ones, especially The Story of Temple Drake (which I mentioned elsewhere on this board). There are two features shown everyday, and some of the films are shown two days. For a schedule of the films, times, and other info, go to: www.filmforum.org. There are a lot of interesting looking (in pre-code words, sizzling!)movies listed!

Thanks Kimbo3200,"The Story Of Temple Drake"1932 with Miriam Hopkins and Jack LaRue will be showing on July 15.It says the concept with a corn cob pipe is so shocking,even after 73 yrs. the film has NEVER been shown on television.The Forum will be showing 46(quote)taboo-busting films made before 1934,when the Motion Picture Production Code laid down strick rules ensuring that "no picture shall be produced,which will lower the moral standards of those who see it" (WOO-WOO)just think Mae West.."when I'm good,I'm very good.When I'm bad I'm bad....I'm better.... Thanks again vallo

What a great list of films...I love "Blonde Venus"and "Murders in the Zoo".

"Island of Lost Souls" is one of a kind in its most devolutionary way. You rarely see "An American Tragedy" on tv anymore, and never Phillips Holmes...who is quite good although comparisons with Clift are natural. "Million dollar Legs" is hilarious and there's quite a few I've never seen like "Kick In" and "June Moon" and I will watch anything with Jack Oakie.

In another area, I notice they are showing Siodmak's "Cobra Woman" with cult legend, Maria Montez starting Friday, August 12, 2005.

I sure would like to be there for that film!

This Paramount before the Code Showing is really to die for. I would love to have the chance of attending... "Story of Temple Drake", "June Moon" et al, on the Big Screen. What a Treat!

This afternoon I was able to get to the Film Forum to see a picture called THE DEVIL IS DRIVING. The only star I was familiar with was character actor James Gleason, who looked and sounded as he did 12 years later playing opposite Judy Garland at MGM. This film was a real pre-code picture: fast, funny and clever. The premise, about a NY garage turning over stolen cars, could just as easily have been made today.

I will not give out any spoilers for thsoe of you who have not seen it, but the irony is that if this film was made 5 years later under the Hays Code, the film may have come to a similar resolution, however it would not have had this pre-code film's much more fun way of getting there.

Wow, The Devil is Driving looks like a great pre-code movie! I'm a little disappointed I didn't hear of that one earlier! I just looked at imdb.com to see if it was available or anything and it doesn't even have a rating, which leads me to believe that it is quite rare. The Film Forum does an excellent job with bringing many of these rare gems to the big screen again.

Could anyone tell be about June Moon, please? I am an avid fan of Frances Dee, and run a website in tribute to her. This film is high on my "to see" list, but unfortunately I can't make it to the Film Forum. I would love to hear second-hand accounts from those fortunate enough to attend.

Thanks!

- Susan