Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Now Playing is a contract

ElCid

Now Playing should be regarded by TCM as a _contract_ with its supporters.Why preempt movies listed in Now Playing? These are old movies with either mostly old or deceased actors/directors/etc.

Just because an actor passes on is no reason to rush to show their movies, especially for those that are shown every 1-3 months already.

I go through the Now Playing when I receive it and highlight the movies I wish to watch. I then look forward to viewing them especially as many are not on DVD.

It is especially poor when TCM preempts a huge block of time for one person who has passed on.

As I said in response to your other rant, if TCM took four months to do a tribute (as they did with Jane Russell back in 2011), there are going to be people who complain about why it took TCM so long to get around to a tribute.

And even if Now Plsying were a contract, you failed to read the fine print that says schedules are subject to change.

Fedya, in response to your _rant_, I suggested that TCM should _regard_ it as a contract, not that it be a contract requiring us to read the fine print every time we receive it. And I know schedules are subject to change - that is not my point.

Regardless, most TCM viewers or potential viewers are unaware of the "tributes" because they preempt scheduled programming and really receive very little announcement on TCM.

If they waited long enough to do an article for Now Playing and schedule it in Now Playing, more people would be aware of it. Lot (most?) TCM viewers do not go on the TCM website very often, if at all.

Ironically, when Shirley Temple passed on, TCM announced a tribute beginning at 6:00PM and then changed that.

> Lot (most?) TCM viewers do not go on the TCM website very often, if at all.

Not sure where you got that info from. The main TCM site is quite popular with viewers and fans.

In addition, TCM has quite a social media presence as well where they also announce upcoming events, changes to the schedule, upcoming movies and more.

Unless you are thinking that the majority of TCM viewership is senior citizens.

And that is a myth. TCM has people of all ages watching the channel and those between 18-54 lead the pack in number of viewers. And that age group is known for loving their computers, smart phones and tablets to surf the web.

Lot (most?) TCM viewers do not go on the TCM website very often, if at all.

Are you kidding? I've subscribed to Now Playing for years, but it took me about 15 minutes to realize that you can't always count on it for 100% accuracy.

Your best bet is to copy and save the monthly online schedule as a Word document, and to check the daily schedule each day to see about any changes. This takes no more than 30 seconds to do, unless you're a very slow reader.

Among other things, this stops you from recording movies in the middle of the night that turn out not to be what you expected.

I'm also not a big fan of cancelling previously scheduled movies to make way for memorial tributes to actors or actresses whose films show up all the time anyway (like Shirley Temple), but I also realize that my viewpoint on that subject is in the minority.

I understand your frustration. It does seem that the unplanned tributes always displace a rarely-seen item rather than 'North By Northwest' or 'Red River' or any number of constantly-shown ones.

It's something I've thought when I've lost out on a certain movie myself. I wouldn't mind if tributes were scheduled later on so as not to interfere with what's already been planned, but that makes just the two of us, I guess.

OK, could you pick me up two loaves of bread for $1.99? That must be some bread.

I didn't believe it myself until I found it, but Dollar Tree is selling a loaf of Nature's Own Honey Wheat bread for 45 cents. I'd never heard of either the brand or the store, but here it is:

http://mojosavings.com/natures-bread-0-45-dollar-tree-2/

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings