Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Village of the Damned.... good film

FredCDobbs

George Sanders really helps make this very good and even a great film.

Clever idea, carried out well, good script, and Sanders helps makes this film a really good one.

And I think the director did an excellent job of making all the blonde kids seem alike and act alike. They really look real. :P

Other opinions?

It is indeed an excellent film. George Sanders is always a joy to watch. I remember when I first saw this film I was only slightly older than the children in the film. I was completely and utterly creeped out by them. They definitely gave me nightmares. Obviously I could relate to them on some level because they were children like me and yet they were not at all like children in any sense. This is definitely one of England's best thrillers.

I wish there was some type of film that explained what alien intelligence created them? Imagine a planet with beings going around in life emotionless and being a major drag.

Perhaps the instinctive intelligence - no concept of morality (love, hate, envy, etc.)

Who you looking at?

village-of-the-damned.jpg

I saw this film when it first came out. I think I was 12 or 13. I liked it then, and I still like it. Eerie, claustrophobic, apocalyptic... Yes, Sanders was very good in it, but it was hardly a challenge to him, considering some of the more challenging roles he has had.

I presume then that you had not seen "All About Eve" and his wonderful Oscar winning performance as the acerbic theatre critic who becomes the character to put Miss Eve Harrington in her place. The original actor intended for the part was Jose Ferrer, a good actor, but maybe lacking the kind of witty acting skills Sanders had in spades. Yes, "Eve" would have been a very different movie with Ferrer and the first actor cast as Margo Channing - Claudette Colbert!

I agree Fred; Very good movie and Sanders is great.

This type of sci-fi horror movie can be very difficult to pull off. The tension can often go overboard and this type of movie becomes camp. But the director and actors strike just the right balance and that keeps the movie grounded.