Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Game Is Afoot! Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce's Sherlock Holmes films

Hi folks,

As you are all discerning film types, I thought I'd let you know that I've recently completed a podcast documentary on the Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce tenure as Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson.

If you're a fan, or if you'd simply like to know more, you can download it at http://www.attaboyclarence.com/ for free.

Many thanks, folks

AC

Thank you for the link, I didn't know about your site. I'm about half way through the Holmes segment, I have always loved that whole series of films so anything to offer insight is most welcome. I do have the DVD set of the complete Rathbone/Holmes films and very highly recommend it. Next I will review the segment on my all time favorite actor, William Powell.

AttaboyClarence, did you see last weeks Johnny Carson interview segment with James Stewart? The subject of *It's A Wonderful Life* came up and Jimmy had an amusing little remark about that film. Jimmy explained how Capra wanted him for the film and Capra's giving a brief summary about the storyline.

I enjoyed your podcast very much, Attaboy, especially some of the lesser known info about the personal life of Nigel Bruce and his friendship with Rathbone. However, the sound clip that you attribute to The Mark of Zorro is actually from Captain Blood.

That would be fun, and in an interview, he once said he could beat Errol Flynn anytime he wanted to. If you watch The Adventures of Robin Hood or Mark of Zorro, it's hard to believe Basil is in his late 40s. When Tyrone Power was that age, he had passed away, and Flynn at that age was in such poor physical condition that he would have been incapable of that level of physical activity.

Basil Rathbone was always in fine physical condition. On the DVD of *The Scarlet Claw* (at least in the complete Holmes DVD set) there is audio commentary. In one scene Holmes rescues a woman housekeeper who was tied up and put in a closet. It is noted how effortlessly Basil picked up the woman in his arms and carried her out of the room. He was over 50 years old at that time.

Unfortunately, I don't have the set with that film. I have the other set with the later SH movies, and I really enjoy the commentary on those.

I remember reading a remembrance from someone meeting Basil during his youth (not Basil's, the writer's), and noticing what a large man he was (he was 6'1"). You don't get that impression in Robin Hood, for example, because Flynn was also a big guy, 6'2", and larger framed. No wonder Olivia deHavilland always looked so tiny in those movies. It's something to think about when most stars at the time, with the exclusion of maybe Gable and Cooper, were average to short -- Ronald Colman, Humphrey Bogart, and others were only around 5'7".

OK, point taken. A clip from Zorro would have been nice -- he had some good one liners in that one.

I liked the material about the radio show. I wasn't aware that it was so popular, perhaps even more popular than the films.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings