Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Valerie Hobson

Swithin

Last week in London, I saw Andrew Lloyd Webber's new musical, *Stephen Ward*. The show, which opened in December to very mixed reviews, will close at the end of this month.

I loved it. It's about the Profumo scandal, Christine Keeler, Mandy Rice-Davies, et. al., and is centered around Stephen Ward, the osteopath who was a sort of catalyst for the whole operation. Profumo's wife, the actress *Valerie Hobson* ( Bride of Frankenstein, Werewolf of London, Great Expectations , et. al.) is beautifully played by Joanna Riding and has one of the best songs in the show, which she sings to Profumo after he confides that he's been a naughty boy.

Too bad this show is coming off. It's not for kids or tourists seeking a jolly musical but has a lot to offer. Maybe it will return some day. In the meantime, here's Valerie Hobson's song.

It still part of the public consciousness in the UK, after all it did help to bring down the Macmillan government. And it's a good story (sex, politics, high society, a Soviet diplomat, Lord Astor, etc.). The best song, sung at an ****, is "You've Never Had It so Good, You've Never Had It so Often," the title of which comes from Macmillan's campaign slogan and a Private Eye riff on it.

It's not a musical comedy, and it's definitely not family fare. After all, Ward kills himself with pills and liquor at the end of the show! But I think it might be well received here in a smaller concert performance situation. I found it curiously moving. Ward is a sort of fall guy -- the Tory government wanted revenge and got him on a charge of benefitting from prostitution, which he probably didn't do.

Here's the one good mainstream press review that the show received:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/theatre-reviews/10528838/Stephen-Ward-review.html

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings