Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

did anybody catch Living On Velvet ?

classiccinemafan

George Brent makes fun of Kay Fwancis' inability to pwonounce the letter R.

Kay wears some truly ridiculous outfits, such as one with a severely oversized bow and another that might be more backless than Jean Harlow's outfit at the end of *Dinner at Eight*.

Other than that, it's a bunch of vapid piffle.

This is one of six films they made together at Warners. Here is their list of collaborations:

1kay.png

THE KEYHOLE (1933)

THE GOOSE AND THE GANDER (1935)

LIVING ON VELVET (1935)

STRANDED (1935)

GIVE ME YOUR HEART (1936)

SECRETS OF AN ACTRESS (1938)

My favorite from this batch is GIVE ME YOUR HEART.

I think he works better with Kay Francis than his other frequent female costars (Chatterton, Davis and Stanwyck).

>Kay wears some truly ridiculous outfits, such as one with a severely oversized bow and another that might be more backless than Jean Harlow's outfit at the end of Dinner at Eight.

>

>Other than that, it's a bunch of vapid piffle.

That sounds Great! My favorite kind of Kay Francis films!!

*Fedya wrote:*

>Kay wears some truly ridiculous outfits, such as one with a severely oversized bow and another that might be more backless than Jean Harlow's outfit at the end of Dinner at Eight...Other than that, it's a bunch of vapid piffle.

*Slaytonf wrote:*

>Well, you know, it is vapid piffle. But at least it tries. And doesn't Kay Francis have a wonderful smile? And as always, she looks fabulous.

Fedya, you have a point there with the outfits. Even Terry (George Brent) thinks so, he says to her at one point, "Why don?t you take off those silly clothes and go start the vittles." Or was is piffles, can?t remember now ;)

Slaytonf; yes, her smile. Also, her faith in him was almost touching, such tolerance there at the beginning, I like those worried looks, such dire but sweet concern...Very likeable, is Kay Francis.

>And as always, she looks fabulous. And she can wear a backless dress as well as anyone.

I just watched an old Kay Francis movie and was actually shocked by her dress. The front was so low it made her breasts look like they were down around her waist-not very attractive. I couldn't figure out why her nipples didn't show-she must have had some sheer undergarment or moleskin corset to cover herself.

Was this actually the fashion? I'm amazed this wasn't offensive back in the ole days. My great grandmother LOVED Kay Francis, even though she was an old Hungarian lady when these movies came out.

Was Francis's look "liberating" and "modern"?

She looked better than most! I love Kay Francis and I thought that white backless dress she wore in *Living on Velvet* was glamourous and gorgeous. Some of the rest of the outfits especially the plaid with the ruffles and the one with the huge bow were silly and some of my least favorite I've seen her wear in her movies, but that white one I thought was fabulous.

The storylines in many of her films were somewhat meaningless, however for me, watching Kay Francis is always a plesasure. I thought she was beautiful and very intelligent looking, fantastic eyes. *Trouble In Paradise*, *Confession* *Mandalay* *One Way Passage* are probably my favorites.

Yes, her fashions ranged, as they say, from the sublime to the ridiculous. Her white dress in Living on Velvet was not only one of her best, but one of the best ever in film. A while ago I started a thread on dresses. Had I seen this movie, her dress would have been one I mentioned.

You can thank Orry-Kelly for Kay's look. She was his muse and his personal favorite to design for. He even designed her clothes when she was forced to make B movies. Kay joked she wasnt well dressed in her films, she was overdressed!

I would add Jewel Robbery to that list as well. She and William Powell were great together. Once he left WB her vehicles started to go downhill.....(from then on she was mostly paired with George Brent and Ian Hunter)...

>I did clear some out. Site is slow to update.

It usually takes up to 24 hours -once you delete items from your inbox- for the deleted items to be removed and to be able to start receiving PMs again.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings