Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RIP Richard Coogan (1914-2014)

SullivansTravels

According to a paid obituary in tomorrow's Los Angeles Times, former actor Richard Coogan died today. He played the title role in the first season of TV's "Captain Video" way back in 1949. He retired from acting in his late 40's. Would have turned 100 in three weeks. With the deaths of Sid Caesar and Richard Coogan, there may be nobody left who headlined a TV series in 1949 - Caesar was the star of that year's "Admiral Broadway Review."

Hey! If Flash Gordon can fly to a planet with a race of men dressed as Vikings with WINGS, anything is possible.

Anyway, in 1949, Captain Video must have had at LEAST a couple of dozen viewers! Nationwide!

And didn't it seem, in that clip, that the Captain had a problem remembering his LINES?

Sepiatone

*Captain Video?* I didn't know this. The name rang a bell and when I saw his picture I knew I had the right person. I remember watching him on *Love* *of Life* with Peggy McKay along with Mom and then on *The Californians.* We didn't get a TV until Christmas of 1952 when Granddad gave Grandma a new Admiral and we got the old Crosley so I guess this was before my time. I always thought he was a good actor. He seemed to have had an interesting life. RIP

Oh yes! I remember this man on Captain Video before he left and was replaced by Al Hodge. I saw it in 1949 at my friend, Raymond's house. We didn't get a TV until September, 1950. My dad had to have it for the Yankees vs. Phillies World Series.It was an RCA. In New York City where I started my life, Captain Video was on Channel 5, the Dumont Network.This was the network where Jackie Gleason started his TV career. Anyway, my mom loved to watch the soaps and I remember Richard Coogan going on to play in Love of Life with Peggy McKay. That all seems like a thousand years ago now.

> What floors me, film producers kept the outrageous Viking winged characters in the 1980 Flash Gordon movie.

I think that might have been done on purpose, for the fun of it. I never thought it was intended to be "serious" sci-fi to begin with.

At any rate, it can't hold a candle to FLESH GORDON! ;)

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings