Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GRAND PRIX, HOMER SIMPSON, AND PAINT YOUR WAGON

AndyM108

Are there are other first time viewers of Grand Prix who were wondering WTH that stupid "Overture" was all about? I felt like Homer Simpson sitting down to watch Paint Your Wagon without realizing that it was a bleeping MUSICAL.

Seriously, I can see an interlude in the middle of a long movie, given the exigencies of a theater filled with full bladders, but what is the bloody POINT of cluttering up the first 4 minutes and 34 seconds of a film with the cinematic equivalent of an elevator ride to the top of Mt. Everest? Is this one of these things I should blame on some union, or is it just one of those phenomena that defies any rational explanation?

There is a tradition in filmmaking that, to add to a prestige production, framing music is supplied, including an overture, intermission, and exit music. You will notice this in Gone With the Wind, Lawrence of Arabia, and other epics. I believe this came from an effort to emulate theater, opera, and ballet, where there are overtures and incidental music. So sit back and enjoy it, after all, the music for Grand Prix is by Maurice Jarre, and one of his best.

While I agree with your explanation as to the WHY, I disagree with it being Jarre's BEST.

I was thinking the same thing when it came on. Usually, overtures usually work best when the movie is a musical, or the score is compelling and outstanding. The score for GRAND PRIX was neither.

Sepiatone

There is a tradition in filmmaking that, to add to a prestige production, framing music is supplied, including an overture, intermission, and exit music. You will notice this in Gone With the Wind, Lawrence of Arabia, and other epics. I believe this came from an effort to emulate theater, opera, and ballet, where there are overtures and incidental music. So sit back and enjoy it, after all, the music for Grand Prix is by Maurice Jarre, and one of his best.

I appreciate the reasoning, but I appreciate even more the existence of the fast forward button on my remote. ;)

>When I first read this thread heading I thought it might be a "Carnac "answer that we were supposed to divine the question to. :)

LOL

So did I, Mr.R.

(...my personal favorite courtesy "The Great Sage from the East..and part-time used car salesman at Cal Worthington's" always being: "Dr. Christian Bernard, Pickled Herring and Doris Day."

post-68-023248700%201277767082.png

-"Name a surgeon, a sturgeon, and a virgin")

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings