Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Boom! (1968) - Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton

groupie2686

When Divine and her son Crackers did a home invasion at Connie and Raymond Marble's house in "Pink Flamingos" in order to lick all the furniture, there was a poster of "Boom!" by the stairs. It was filmed in Waters' own house, so in my mind "Boom!" finally got the home it deserved, on John Waters' stairwell.

I've never seen BOOM! in its entirety but I think Elizabeth Taylor was very good in the parts I have seen ---- except that she seems much too young for the character of Mrs. Goforth, at least the way the character is described in the original Tennessee Williams's play it was adapted from.

Richard Burton's Christopher Flanders is (or appears to be) older than Elizabeth Taylor's Mrs. Goforth, which is a big change from the original play (THE MILK TRAIN DOESN'T STOP HERE ANYMORE).

• 3 weeks later...

I've never seen BOOM! in its entirety but I think Elizabeth Taylor was very good in the parts I have seen ---- except that she seems much too young for the character of Mrs. Goforth, at least the way the character is described in the original Tennessee Williams's play it was adapted from.

Richard Burton's Christopher Flanders is (or appears to be) older than Elizabeth Taylor's Mrs. Goforth, which is a big change from the original play (THE MILK TRAIN DOESN'T STOP HERE ANYMORE).

Yes, they were both  miscast. Burton was too old for his part, and Taylor too young (or at least looked too healthy for a dying woman).  But they were big box office at the time (soon not to be after this flop and some others....)

I've only seen a part of BOOM! many years ago.  I don't remember much, but thought then that Liz looked very attractive still.  Some weird characters were about the only other thing I sort of remember. 

Speaking of Liz and Dick, TCM recently aired THE COMEDIANS, based on the novel by Graham Greene.  I think this was the one done just before BOOM, and I really enjoyed it.  Quite good I thought, and don't understand how it could have flopped.  Although I wondder if the Haitian government, which protested loudly, applied much pressure to have its release curtailed here, since it portrayed the Doc Duvalier regime in a very unfavorable (accurate?) light.

It was filmed in Dahomey Africa, if I remember correctly what I read about it, but it sure seemed like it could have been filmed in Haiti.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings