Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Drew Barrymore just lovely

PaulaJD

I had quit watching The Essentials, what with Alec Baldwin (let me out of here! lol), followed by Drew Barrymore's *HAIR*. I just couldn't stand her half grown out hair coloring. I mean, really, on such a highly regarded television channel that is produced with such style and perfection! But lately I saw her once again on The Essentials and she was lovely. Just strikingly lovely.

I don't like that half grown out look either.....it must be all the rage; I see quite a few young women with this look. I worked in the beauty industry in my 20's and early 30's. To hairdressers, this look was as bad as chipped nail polish. We used to say, 'either re-polish your nails, or don't wear polish at all.' Now, when I see that half grown out look, I'm thinking, 'either touch up the color, or cut it off and go with the natural hair color.' I'm glad Drew colored her hair; it calls attention to her gorgeous face; she definitely inherited the fabulous Barrymore genes..............

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I've always thought she was a beauty. I use Cover Girl eye pencils, and I remember seeing her photos on the displays..................simply stunning. True, sometimes they alter the photos, but one has to have something to work with, and she's got it, imho!

Drew Barrymore seems nice enough and I couldn't care less about her looks (to each his own), but it seems every movie she introduces has been played 1,000 times already. If she has any significant knowledge of films beyond the AFI Top 100, I've yet to see much evidence of it.

God, how I miss Molly Haskell and Alec Baldwin.

I like her. What appeals to me the most, I think, is that she really seems to be a genuine fan of classic movies. I love that she gets excited about learning something new about an old movie and wants to share it. Not a lot of pretense, just a love of movies. Nice.

Do you also miss Rose McGowan?

I had to google the name in order to find out who Rose McGowan even was, and since I also discovered that she was co-hosting The Essentials before I began watching TCM on a regular basis, I guess the answer is "I can't miss what I never experienced." I've also never seen any of her movies.

It's been even longer (2006) since Molly Haskell co-hosted The Essentials, but she's made other appearances since then, and anyway, I've known about her writing for 40 years and always found her interesting.

All I want from a co-host on any TCM program is an engaging personality, a reasonable degree of articulateness, and a fair amount of knowledge of film history. Haskell and Baldwin are to me the best examples of that I've seen.

*, but it seems every movie she introduces has been played 1,000 times already.*

You could say that about almost every Essential choice at this point. They've run it into the ground. End it.

I'd rather that they simply expand the definition of "Essential" to go beyond the current crop, and put a strict limit on any "Essential" being shown more than *once* (not even twice) every five years in that "Essentials" time slot. That would free up a lot of time slots for new and more interesting choices.

The problem is that for the most part (there are a few exceptions) the TCM idea of "Essential" seems to be limited to the films that make the AFI Top 100 or Oscar winners lists, along with a scattering of other films by favored screen icons that stay well within the framework of mainstream acceptability. That may be what TCM feels is necessary to attract new viewers, but as you suggest, it quickly becomes to seem like an endless loop once you've been around for awhile.

I only half listen to all that "jabber" regardless WHOM is the co-host. I only perk up my attention if I hear something that piques my interest. As far as how they look? Well, I approach it as I do a concert.

Many people will relate their experience at a rock concert based on lighting, wardrobe and any stage effects, ie; laser lights, smokepots, flamethrowers et al. MY approach is this:

I'm Stevie Wonder, and I'm at a rock concert. WHAT'S going to impress ME the most?

Sepiatone