Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Enchanted Cottage Question

BasilBruce

>It's called not having a very attentive continuity editor.

It must have been the same person who didn't notice that the carving on a post in THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR that Anna was told would be visible to all the ships at sea, was actually facing inland.

>In the Enchanted Cottage when the couple sees themselves as beautiful, how is Robert Young Abel to use his right arm? He acts physically like we first see him but how if he cannot use his arm?

He doesn't notice that he can't use his right arm. It's like an older man who limps who doesn't notice he limps and gets upset when someone mentions it. It's like a guy who is losing his hair who doesn't notice that he's losing his hair, but everyone else notices. It's like Blanche DuBois not noticing that she's crazy.

So, when when Robert Young thinks he looks good again and can use his arm again, he really doesn't look good and doesn't notice that he can't use his arm.

Strangely, I once knew a young couple who, individually, were fairly ugly. I met them separately. Later I met them together and I found out they were married. All of a sudden, they looked like a really attractive couple to me. A strange effect, a strange trick of the brain. What is "ugly", what is "beauty"? I swear, that couple suddenly looked very good as soon as I first saw them together and was told they were married. They suddenly looked very good to me and they were a cute couple. Life is strange. :)

Well, it's sort of a fantasy movie. You are allowed to believe either way. You are allowed to belive that they did really change and that he did really hug her, but you are also allowed to believe that they did not change but only felt like they changed. In other words, he didn't really hug her with both arms, but mentally thought that he did or pretended he did or remembered (incorrectly) that he did. Or, you can believe in "magic" and say that he really did but that such magic didn't happen when anyone else was around. Some audience members will believe one way, and others will believe the other way. :)

It's like Snow White and the 7 dwarfs. You can believe they are real, or you can believe they are not real. Whichever way you want to believe. To me, they are real.

I stayed up late and actually watched this film. I wanted to see how Dorothy McGuire could actually be "homely" . With the proper make up job and the fact that she was an outstanding actress it kind of works (although I still find a "homely" Dorothy attractive). As Mr Dobbs says, this film is part fantasy, its about the two characters and how they see themselves and others. As the two meet and start to interact each one looks past the others appearance and together they build a relationship and it builds up their self esteem. It all about changing attitude, how they finally see themselves and one another. It's really a wonderful film (glad I stayed up to watch) , very inspiring. Robert Young, who usually doesn't impress me very much as an actor, was very good in this. And Dorothy McGuire once again demonstrates how good an actress she was.

I finally sat down and watched this film in its entirety, and, I love it. I've always loved Robert young in tv (father knows best, Marcus Welby), but didn't see many of the movies he was in. I also like Dorothy McGuire.

Anyway, a lovely film that was even more poignant when it was released during/after the devastating WW2 and so many damaged veterans.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings