Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Abby!

Movie Requests

ME,

Just wanted to let you know that I am not a TCM staffer, just a long time message board contributor. I was asked to be the point person here since the new boards debuted to help posters who have questions about the boards or difficulties using the boards to get the answers or help they need.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have questions!

Thanks for your generosity, I will keep that in mind cause I do have questions regarding how to perhaps send some of my creative idea's & art I create with TCM. Also I wanted to ask TCM about news or leads on lost film archive like Lon Chaney's "LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT" & so on. I know where I stand on that particular subject because I am aware of all the places checked, but I'm asking who to ask for their info on the possible whereabouts of certain lost films. Thanks again for the help.

Thanks for your generosity, I will keep that in mind cause I do have questions regarding how to perhaps send some of my creative idea's & art I create with TCM. Also I wanted to ask TCM about news or leads on lost film archive like Lon Chaney's "LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT" & so on. I know where I stand on that particular subject because I am aware of all the places checked, but I'm asking who to ask for their info on the possible whereabouts of certain lost films. Thanks again for the help.

Lon Chaney's London After Midnight was lost in the 1960s MGM vault fire. Both the print and the nitrate negative were lost.  It is one of the holy grails of lost American films. Archives around the country and around the world have been scoured looking for it but as of yet, a copy has not been found.

Back in 2008 there was an internet hoax perpetrated by Sid Terror at a website called HorrorDrunx that claimed that Terror had found the film negative in one of the Turner vaults in Los Angeles before Time-Warner took control of the old Turner film library following the merger with Ted Turner and his media empire.Terror wanted Warner Bros to give him access to their vaults so that he could wander through them looking for it. He also encouraged readers to call UCLA Film and Television archive and force them to look through their holdings.

The story was quickly discredited by, among others, archivist Richard May who was in charge of the Turner vaults back then.

UCLA Film and TV archive was inundated with phone calls anyways.

LAM, as I said, is one of the holy grails of lost films. In recent years, films have been repatriated from foreign archives such as the one in New Zealand which included one of John Ford's early silents which was thought lost.

A few weeks ago an archive in the Netherlands announced that they were repatriated a number of films to the Library of Congress including the very first "Micky McGuire" film that Mickey Rooney starred in.

Archivists and film buffs hope that someday a copy may be found in a foreign archive, a private collection or an attic somewhere in the world.

But, as of now, LAM remains elusive though Terror's hoax lives on thanks to the internet.

• Like 1

Lon Chaney's London After Midnight was lost in the 1960s MGM vault fire. Both the print and the nitrate negative were lost.  It is one of the holy grails of lost American films. Archives around the country and around the world have been scoured looking for it but as of yet, a copy has not been found.

Back in 2008 there was an internet hoax perpetrated by Sid Terror at a website called HorrorDrunx that claimed that Terror had found the film negative in one of the Turner vaults in Los Angeles before Time-Warner took control of the old Turner film library following the merger with Ted Turner and his media empire.Terror wanted Warner Bros to give him access to their vaults so that he could wander through them looking for it. He also encouraged readers to call UCLA Film and Television archive and force them to look through their holdings.

The story was quickly discredited by, among others, archivist Richard May who was in charge of the Turner vaults back then.

UCLA Film and TV archive was inundated with phone calls anyways.

LAM, as I said, is one of the holy grails of lost films. In recent years, films have been repatriated from foreign archives such as the one in New Zealand which included one of John Ford's early silents which was thought lost.

A few weeks ago an archive in the Netherlands announced that they were repatriated a number of films to the Library of Congress including the very first "Micky McGuire" film that Mickey Rooney starred in.

Archivists and film buffs hope that someday a copy may be found in a foreign archive, a private collection or an attic somewhere in the world.

But, as of now, LAM remains elusive though Terror's hoax lives on thanks to the internet.

Yeah I know they looked for it, but I didn't know the detail of the situation so thanks for that info. I also wanna know if Forry Ackerman's archives had a thorow investigation of his collection. It's possible but not likely I know. And another thing is I didn't know who to contact for that info so thanks again.

It used to.  But now the suggest a movie site isn't working. 

My name shows me in here but when I go to suggest 

A movie.  It wants me to log in.  I can't,  it doesn't 

Allow me to. 

But yes,  they did show quite a few movies I requested and 

Lost,  because I had to switch out the old DVR 

from spectrum. 

Looks like the Suggest a Movie page stopped working back in May.  It only appears as an item in the drop down COMMUNITY menu for Safari, which on my computer is an outdated version, as my computer won't take the latest version of the Mac OS.   On Firefox and Chrome browsers the menu doesn't even show the SUGGEST A MOVIE tab.

2 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Looks like the Suggest a Movie page stopped working back in May.  It only appears as an item in the drop down COMMUNITY menu for Safari, which on my computer is an outdated version, as my computer won't take the latest version of the Mac OS.   On Firefox and Chrome browsers the menu doesn't even show the SUGGEST A MOVIE tab.

On the latest Firefox (68.0.2) available for my OS, the drop-down menu shows up, the page entry is there, and the page comes up.  However that page required a separate user login from the rest of the website, or maybe just the forum. (I never understood that part.)  The login button on that page goes nowhere though, as that is broken.  Latest request entries are from May.  So I'd still say it is "borked", even with a current browser.  Ben M's popup works on the lower right though, and I'll bet all the social media widgets on the upper right work perfectly as well.

I have also been trying for months to get this to work. I have the link button but it doesn't work. If you do a google search for this problem you find many people having the same problem. If TCM is no longer accepting requests (Whether on not they ever act on them)  they should say so and get rid of the request web page. At the very least it is impolite to treat their loyal users this way.

9 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

On the latest Firefox (68.0.2) available for my OS, the drop-down menu shows up, the page entry is there, and the page comes up.  However that page required a separate user login from the rest of the website, or maybe just the forum. (I never understood that part.)  The login button on that page goes nowhere though, as that is broken.  Latest request entries are from May.  So I'd still say it is "borked", even with a current browser.  Ben M's popup works on the lower right though, and I'll bet all the social media widgets on the upper right work perfectly as well.

So I updated my Firefox and it's now current and I still don't get the SUGGEST A MOVIE tab in the COMMUNITY drop-down menu.  But my OS is El Capitan (10.11.6), the most recent I can install.  So that may be why.  But in Safari (Version 9.1.3 (11601.7.8) the most recent that will work with my OS), it shows up.  I've noticed differences elsewhere.  Frinstance, I can read gmail with Safari, but if I want to send, I have to go to a different browser.  For gmail, Chrome seems to work best (hmm. . . .wonder why. . . .).  Something similar goes on with YouTube.  I'm getting out of date.  I'm getting messages from sites saying I need to update my browser.  Problem is, Safari works best with my Macbook.

I don't think it matters what browser you use, Suggest A Movie is not working. It will not let you loggin once you get to the page. The loggin is where the problem lies .Movie Collector is correct, I've had the same experience as he had and the last requests were in May.

My only observations have been, as you can see from my first post, that I only see the button for SUGGEST A MOVIE on my old version of Safari.  And that it appeared that it stopped working back in May.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 10:21 PM, slaytonf said:

My only observations have been, as you can see from my first post, that I only see the button for SUGGEST A MOVIE on my old version of Safari.  And that it appeared that it stopped working back in May.

Me, too.  I think it was de-activated way back in May.  I can still pull down the menu and get to the page but it won't let you log-in.  It's too bad.  I suggested a few movies over the years and the movies would eventually pop up on TCM's schedule.  I wonder why they stopped taking suggestions.  I'd occasionally see nutty comments there  but mostly it was sincere movie requests.  Perhaps they want people to join (and pay for) the Backlot program to request movies now...