Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Something Spooky About This Trend

misswonderly3

I've said this before, but have never started a thread dedicated to the subject.

This is directed mainly to the TCM Board Administrators and Moderators:

Look, please, if you don't like the way a thread is going, whatever the reason, can you please say something as to why you're deleting it, instead of just quietly deleting it?

You guys never used to do this. Used to be, if you thought a thread had become "inappropriate", whether due to acrimony, excessive rudeness, too much political content, or any other reason, you would SAY you were "locking" the thread.

Often the thread would still be there, it was just "Locked" - you could no longer post on it.

But you could still read what was already there.

So, two things, Moderator baby:

1) Why do you no longer comment at all on the controversial threads on the reason why you're kiboshing them?

2) How come you rarely "lock" threads anymore - if you don't like the way they're going - you just "delete" them?

It's kind of spooky. It's like you're pretending they never existed. And it makes it look like it's just easier for you to do that, rather than offer some kind of comment.

Even just "This thread is locked. Further posts are no longer allowed." was at least acknowledging you were closing the thread.

But to quietly "disappear" the thread is, in my view, being vaguely dishonest, or at least, not forthright, with this TCM boards community.

I thought "transparency" was a big concept these days.

I'm with you on this, MissW. Many threads go astray and get heated, but sometimes the heated exchanges aren't really that offensive. But to quietly erase them smacks too much of "Big Brother" for my taste. It would be better to return to the times the Administrator would post a warning, or at least suggest that the people exchanging "heated" posts continue their exchanges via PMs.

Sepiatone

It extends beyond the threads vanishing. A fair share of posters- some of them long-time and valuable contributors- have been taken out behind the woodshed- no trial, no explanation, no nothing- and no coming back.

And this site has become SO MUCH less in(n)teresting as a result.

>It extends beyond the threads vanishing. A fair share of posters- some of them long-time and valuable contributors- have been taken out behind the woodshed- no trial, no explanation, no nothing- and no coming back.

And a few have been banned more than once

and come back with a different moniker.

It's obvious who they are.

Jake in the *Heartland*

Thanks for the concerned and wise words, MissW.

A couple of threads just disappearing, without explanation, is dissatisfying and a bit unsettling. Sure, it's easy enough to speculate as to why those particular threads vanished but it would be more appreciated by everyone, I suspect, if an explantion of some kind was offered, even if it's just a few words, as to why it was being done. I think that's just common courtesy.

And, as you said, even if the thread was at least locked, as it often was in the past, as opposed to just obliterated, posters would still have the opportunity to try to ascertain where it "went wrong," as far as TCM web admin was concerned.

Open communciation on a blog is always the best option, I feel, and this applies to the administrators, as well as the posters.

You know, MissW, the best thing of all, would be if the administrator gave a thread a warning if he believes that some of the comments are inapprorpriate or going over the line too much before he locks it or, even worse, deletes the thread. If memory serves me correctly, this was done in the past.

That way it will be more of a learning experience for posters, I feel, and no one can say that the administrator hasn't exercised a degree of fair minded flexibility. We would have only ourselves to blame if the comments continued and the thread was locked (preferably) or deleted.

A little while back, the administrator only removed the offending post, not the entire thread unless its topic was disruptive. Generally a warning was posted if things were starting to get unraveled. Guess he's tired of the same problems over and over and decide to take things more seriously so we get the POINT and the reason this has become obsolete Lock-icon-small.png

Anyone find it humorous the Rob Ford thread lasted as long as it has.

>Yeah, it really puts a burr in my britches that these banned posters

>come back and try to sneak in using a different name. Pathetic and

>immature. If they could only learn one simple lesson:

Might you be one of 'em?

Jake in the *Heartland*

> hamradio wrote:

> Guess he's tired of the same problems over and over and decide to take things more seriously

I believe this may be the best explanation of the situation.

"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome" is a definition for insanity.

Removing offending posts within a thread, commenting and then locking the thread had no effect on the frequency or offensiveness of such threads.

It may have been decided that the time and effort was wasted and so they moved on to new strategies.

It would be nice if the moderator would warn the thread that it is on thin ice, and PM the offending parties re: their posts. If this persists, then Lock the thread, maybe remove offensive posts, but don't disappear the whole thread.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings