Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I enjoyed Jack and the Beanstalk

classiccinemafan

THIS sometimes show Abbott And Costello films. I saw Dance With Me Henry a few years ago, (their last film together, not their best.) They also showed Lou Costello only solo film, The Thirty Foot Bride Of Candy Rock.

Does anyone remember the Abbot And Costello Cartoon? Bud Abbot voiced them in the 60's after Lou Costello Died. They basically were about as good as the Three Stooges cartoons, (bottom of the barrel.)

BEANSTALK had a clever script, was well directed by Jean Yarbrough, and had a great score by Heinz Roemheld. Buddy Baer had fun as the giant.

The film was released in the US at 78 minutes and internationally at 87 minutes. The 16mm syndication prints were from the international version. Warners is trying to gather 35mm SuperCinecolor material to restore the film beyond its domestic length.

A&C archivist Bob Furmanek produced a restored laserdisc that included the missing international footage from lesser materials.

I first saw the picture at the Larchmont Playhouse around 1962.

I can't say that I'm a fan of Jack and the Beanstalk. It seems to me that this film was written for a very young crowd of children.

However, I do remember enjoying one sequence in it, that when Lou dances with a giantess, whose elbows keep crashing into the sides of his head. What made the scene amusing for me was that the two of them play this slapstick sequence as if they are both elegant dancers.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdNPjX-v5GloE1iikvrgA

It reminded me of a similar scene done years before, when Lou danced with Joan Davis to the Blue Danube in Hold That Ghost, clearly one of the real highlights of that production.

2099128_orig.png

I'm not certain if TCM still has license to show Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, but it's been on the channel numerous times over the past seven or so years.

It has to rank as the most famous film of their careers. If the boys only made one film classic, this one is it.

i]lou.jpg

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings