Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What version of THE GOLD RUSH will air on Friday Night Spotlight on 03/21?

HoldenIsHere

Is it the original 1925 version or Chaplin's 1942 re-edit with his voice-over narration and music added?

I am hoping for the original 1925 version.

On the TCM Full Schedule for 03/21/11, the running time is given as 89 minutes, which sounds like the original 1925 version.

However, the start time on the schedule is 10:45 PM Eastern with the next movie scheduled to start at 12:15 AM Eastern ---- which would allow only 1 minute for the host's commentary before and after THE GOLD RUSH.

The running time of the 1942 re-edit is 72 minutes.

Is it the original 1925 version or Chaplin's 1942 re-edit with his voice-over narration and music added?

I am hoping for the original 1925 version.

On the TCM Full Schedule for 03/21/11, the running time is given as 89 minutes, which sounds like the original 1925 version.

However, the start time on the schedule is 10:45 PM Eastern with the next movie scheduled to start at 12:15 AM Eastern ---- which would allow only 1 minute for the host's commentary before and after THE GOLD RUSH.

The running time of the 1942 re-edit is 72 minutes.

On the one hand, we've been burned before with this film. Previous guides have promised the "real" (1925) version, only to deliver the bogus "enhanced" 1942 version, which is to the 1925 original what an outhouse is to a penthouse. Chaplin remains one of our great comic geniuses, but this is one of the many times that his insufferable ego got in the way of his artistic integrity.

OTOH there's this ray of hope: The relatively recent Criterion DVD has both versions included. I figure the worst thing that can happen is that I've blown 25 cents on a DVD that I'll have to use for target practice when I take up skeet shooting.

But we should all be crossing our fingers and praying that *THIS TIME* TCM won't be like Lucy and yank away our silent "football".

Chuck Tabesh told me about a year ago that TCM has been trying to get the original version which you can see beautifully restored with full orchestral score on the Criterion DVD and Blu -ray releases. The problem has been that so far the Chaplin Estate seems to be only interested in running the Bastardized '42 re-issue on television anywhere. I sure hope I'm wrong, because it's not THE GOLD RUSH. They have to come to their senses regarding this matter. I mean the Chaplin Heir's. What they are doing makes no sense and obscures the real film that Chaplin made. Same with several of his other movies.

Chuck Tabesh told me about a year ago that TCM has been trying to get the original version which you can see beautifully restored with full orchestral score on the Criterion DVD and Blu -ray releases. The problem has been that so far the Chaplin Estate seems to be only interested in running the Bastardized '42 re-issue on television anywhere. I sure hope I'm wrong, because it's not THE GOLD RUSH. They have to come to their senses regarding this matter. I mean the Chaplin Heir's. What they are doing makes no sense and obscures the real film that Chaplin made. Same with several of his other movies.

Hell, given Chaplin's overinflated sense of his latterday comic genius (which had pretty much died once he left the silent realm), it wouldn't surprise me if his heirs are only reflecting his final wishes. To call the 1942 version "New Coke" would be an insult to that unfortunate beverage, but Chaplin obviously thought it really was an "enhancement".

Everyone should bracket their DVR times, just in case it IS the original.

One consolation is that since it begins at 10:45 and not in the middle of the night, we can just wait to see Bob's or Ben's introduction before hitting the "Record" button. Presumably they'll tell us which version we're going to get, so at least those of us with DVD recorders won't have to waste a disk if that 1942 monstrosity is the one they're showing.

Much of what made the film great is gone from the 1942 re-issue. It really is. Key plot elements are altered substantially. Some important and impactful shorts discarded. Bits and pieces of vital footage that make for a much stronger narrative. And the ending is completely different altogether. We are fortunate that the original film still survives, although undoubtedly some footage has been completely lost to us.

I hope its the original. Its been YEARS since I seen GOLD RUSH on TCM. Its good to see Chaplin on TCM.

They play The Gold Rush a lot on TCM, usually at least once a year. Unfortunately it's always the worthless 1942 version.

Andy, To quote you, YES! and to quote Daniel "Dragon Fire" Bryan, "Yes, Yes, Yes!"

My hats of to TCM and Programming Chief Chuck Tabesh for getting the original 1925 version for the first time in many years, and the debut of the Criterion Restoration in Prime-time! Awesome! A wonderful surprise. I was to say the least elated. Wish I had known this ahead of time though. It was the same with THE THIEF OF BAGDAD several months ago. They debuted the new version in Prime-time after a much older version had just aired during Silent Sunday nights a month earlier. So now TCM in the past year has debuted the new restorations of WINGS with the original 1927 J. S. Zamecnick Orchestral score re -recoded. The Cohen Restoration of Douglas Fairbanks THE THIEF OF BAGDAD with the Carl Davis Orchestral score.. The newly restored THE BIG PARADE last September, and finally tonight the Silent cut of THE GOLD RUSH in the best it has looked in decades virtually complete! A dramatic improvement. All of these were significant developments. Plus THE COSSACKS debuting on June 1st, although I still have no information on who scored this?

Now if TCM could just premiere the restored LITTLE ANNIE ROONEY, or THE WEDDING MARCH.Or dare I hope LILAC TIME! Wonder if there might be a chance for THE RED DANCE with Dolores Del Rio and Charles Farrell, which aired in a beautifully restored print on Arte TV back in July of 2012. Hoped that TCM might pick that up at some point. It is not on DVD.

The restored GOLD RUSH was wonderful. I have a fully tinted print from the Killiam negative with William Perry's masterful piano score. But this restoration was not only visually superb, but I loved the re-recording of Chaplin and Max Terr's 1942 score.

Very little of Chaplin's 1942 re-issue score is original music. In-fact, Chaplin probably composed just as much original music for the films premier in 1925. At least two melodies were published from that score one of them is called ironically for a Silent film, "Sing A Song". The complete 1925 score was discovered on paper in Chaplin's vault in 1991. The Criterion version implements new orchestration by Timothy Brock and his Orchestra of Chaplin's '42 score in various intervals, in particular scenes trimmed from the 42 version Brock did a masterful job of adapting this score to the 1925 cut of the picture.

As great as it is, I to have a soft spot for the William Perry piano score, the Killiam shows Blackhawk films edition being the first version of THE GOLD RUSH I ever saw, which has since been re-recorded with a full Orchestra. I hoped that it might be included as an alternate track on the Criterion disc. But aside from that, this is the best version of THE GOLD RUSH ever to be shown on TCM and the finest by far to ever be released on DVD, let alone Blu-ray.

It is very likely that TCM will be replacing the version of Harold Lloyd's THE FRESHMAN that they have been airing with the Robert Israel score since 2003, with the new Criterion Restoration with the Carl Davis score. Being released on Blu-ray this Tuesday. I will miss the Israel score, but I haven't heard the Davis one yet. Only brief sound bites so far. I'm anxious to see the new restoration.

Now if we could just get them to start airing the new Blu-ray version of F. W. Murnau's NOSFERATU. The Photoplay version TCM has been showing is from the 90's, and while I normally love Photoplay Productions it pales greatly in comparison to the recent Murnau foundation restoration. Stunning multi-tinted print with a reprisal of the original 1922 Hands Erdman score, which is spectacular. I never thought much of this picture until I saw it in this form. I don't actually have the Blu-ray yet, but the upgraded Murnua restoration has been on DVD from Kino domestically, and Eureka in the U. K. since late 2008. Well, worth picking up. Another Murnua Foundation restoration that hasn't appeared so far is Fritz Lang's DIE NIBELUNGEN (1923). Even though it is on Blu-ray from Kino.

Still holding out hope for TCM premieres odf the Von Sternberg's UNDERWORLD (1927), THE LAST COMMAND (1928), and THE DOCKS OF NEW YORK (1928). All of which were released in the Von Sternberg Silents Criterion Box set back in August of 2010.

Also not sure why TCM has completely overlooked De Mille's original screen version of CHICAGO (1927) with Phyllis Haver and Victor Varconi which has been on DVD from Flicker Alley for about 4 years. And it is one of the most perfectly preserved Silents ever. Transfer was made from a mint Nitrate print found in the De Mille vault. At one point this picture had been considered lost for over 75 years!

At the same time that Chuck Tabesh told me that were trying to get THE GOLD RUSH they were looking to obtain the right to obtain the rights to Herbert Brenon's Production of PETER PAN (1924) with Betty Bronson, Esther Ralston, Mary Brian and that great All-Star cast. A film just tailor made for TCM. If they don't run it, who will? It's frustrating that TCM is stil, the only classic film channel in America. There should be a half a dozen of them.

There's a difference between original melodies and original scoring. A great score can be loaded with interpolations of existing or popular melodies. That doesn't make it any less valid a composition. The score to STAGECOACH is often dismissed as "old cowboy songs". But it is a deft composition that incorporates myriad traditional melodies in unique dramatic fashion.