Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

what do you miss about the old TCM

classiccinemafan

What I miss : the one reel wonders intro, the old school feel , the old feature presentation intro for robert osborne , the "this week in hollywood history" thing between movies , the sunny side of life intro in the mornings.

what i like about the current TCM : the late night intro with the people in the diner and the jazzy music in the background. LEAVE IT TCM!

Edited by: classiccinemafan on Mar 20, 2014 2:29 PM

>How were people sure it was John Wilkes Booth who got shot in the burning barn ? who was David E. George ?

Answer to question no.1: The CSI team was immediately called in.

Answer to question no.2: Coincidentally, David E. George IV was the associate producer of "CSI: Miami".

;)

Okay, and in all seriousness now, the following is what Wikipedia says about this whole "Booth's Escape Theory", which appears to have been started for the classic reasons of selling books and making money:

Theories of Booth's escape

Main article: James William Boyd

In 1907, Finis L. Bates wrote Escape and Suicide of John Wilkes Booth, contending that a Booth look-alike was mistakenly killed at the Garrett farm while Booth eluded his pursuers.[167] Booth, said Bates, assumed the pseudonym "John St. Helen" and settled on the Paluxy River near Glen Rose, Texas, and later moved to Granbury, Texas. After falling gravely ill and making a deathbed confession that he was the fugitive assassin, he recovered and fled, eventually committing suicide in 1903 in Enid, Oklahoma, under the alias "David E. George".[11][167][168] By 1913, more than 70,000 copies of the book had been sold, and Bates exhibited St. Helen's mummified body in carnival sideshows.[11]

Booth Family gravesite, Green Mount Cemetery, where Booth is buried in an unmarked grave

In response, the Maryland Historical Society published an account in 1913 by then-Baltimore mayor William M. Pegram, who had viewed Booth's remains upon the casket's arrival at the Weaver funeral home in Baltimore on February 18, 1869, for burial at Green Mount Cemetery. Pegram, who had known Booth well as a young man, submitted a sworn statement that the body he had seen in 1869 was Booth's.[169] Others positively identifying this body as Booth at the funeral home included Booth's mother, brother, and sister, along with his dentist and other Baltimore acquaintances.[11] Earlier, The New York Times had published an account by their reporter in 1911 detailing the burial of Booth's body at the cemetery and those who were witnesses.[158] The rumor periodically revived, as in the 1920s, when a corpse advertised as the "Man Who Shot Lincoln" was exhibited on a national tour by a carnival promoter. According to a 1938 article in the Saturday Evening Post, the exhibitor said he obtained St. Helen's corpse from Bates' widow.[170]

And now I have a question for you, ccf:

Now that you've completely changed your whole original thread's premise, should I now delete my reply to your original questions about that MGM short you watched about John Wilkes Booth and the wild idea that he somehow escaped that barn?

>I'm a little confused. There is only one other post on this thread, and it has nothing to do with Booth. You have taken thread derailment to new heights.

Nope finance. I'm still inhabiting the "depths" down here, and which you'll discover once you read ccf's and my latest posts.

(...in short, ccf completely changed his original posting after I replied to it)

>I deleted it because I was afraid it might go against the rules on the board.

btw ccf, after I read what you said here and the reason you gave for changing your original post about John Wilkes Booth and that old MGM short about his "possible escape", I wondered how in the world this thread could EVER "go against the rules on this board"?!!!

But THEN it hit me: John Wilkes Booth=American Civil War=I think we all where THAT would be headed, don't we?=SOMEBODY around here will eventually attempt to RE-FIGHT that war ALL over again=controversy=hurt feelings=Admin deletes entire thread!!!

(...of course it COULD always be worse...you COULD have started your original premise by sayin' somethin' like: "What if John Wilkes Booth had botched plastic surgery AND was GAY?")

LOL

Nope ginnyfan, and for various reasons probably never will be, either. ;)

However, I believe TCM has in the past focused its spotlight on a man who in his youth once played the infamous Mr. Booth in a very notable(and now controversial) film, and who would go on to become much better known and appreciated for his work behind the camera...Raoul Walsh.

And of course the film in which Mr. Walsh played Booth was D.W. Griffith's "The Birth of a Nation".

Nation_walsh.jpg

>None of this explains why TCM isn't showing 'Hot Spell' once in a while.

Shirley you know why that is, dark! It's 'cause that movie, like almost all the dramas Surely starred in, are just too darn depressing.

(...or somethin' like that anyway) ;)

Hey Ham! Good change there, but how about, "Time stands still for no man", instead??? Much classier THAT way, wouldn't ya say?!

(...wait...yeah...you're right...that wouldn't include in idea of women not having time standing still for, huh!...I mean this IS the 21st Century and all, isn't it?!...yep, women's equality and all that...so just forget my suggestion...yours is now probably better anyway, huh!) ;)

LOL

Tonight I decided to watch a tape with TCM movies on them. All the way back from 2004. The tape had TCM remembers Ronald Reagan. Back then , TCM put more effort in celebrity tributes. Not just clips from their movies , but different music everytime a celebrity dies. Today, its always the same song with rain falling on a car windshield then the clips.

Robert Osborne was hosting The Blue Angel with Marlene Dietruch. He looked a little younger and was smiling more. He spoke faster and didn't look tired and depressed like he does today.

I miss hearing the legendary Sydney Guilaroff saying "Damn good actress" for purely selfish reasons I am sure. Having been a good friend of Sydney for many years and working with him in 1991/92 during the early stages of his autobiography, hearing him speak invariably takes me back to those days and the parade of greats who visited his home to reminisce about working with him at MGM. Had the "powers that be" allowed him to do the book ("Crowning Glory") as he wanted to do it, we would have a 500-600 page volume filled with classic stories about his years (1934-1994) working on some of the most famous names that ever graced the silver screen.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings