Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Dune That Never Was...

joefilmone

That sounds fascinating! I'd love to see it just for the concept art, which looks fantastic.

_Dune_ , to me, is like some sort of unattainable Holy Grail for film makers. No version of the book has ever been filmed that really was able to capture it, not really. I'm not sure it's possible-the book was so rich and so complex, so interior. Herbert invented an entire history and mythology and science behind the story and it was so complete and bizarre--beyond anything that even remotely resembled the world we know. Yet the people could be motivated by exactly the same things that motivate people today--revenge, love, hatred, greed, so it was relatable.

David Lynche's film version has some great visuals but the script did not do the book's epic story justice. The Sci-Fi mini-series made a lot more dramatic sense but it lacked the visual splendor that Dune deserves. The novel needs a true visionary director who has the clout to do a multiple film treatment.

The novel DUNE was the single greatest sci-fi novel I ever read. To film it would definitely take an epic of several movies much as Lord of the Rings did. Exciting to think about. I never thought Lord of the Rings could be brought to the silver screen in such an epic fashion as it was but perhaps Dune could be too by the right director. What a very exciting project it would be.