Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Weird name for an actor!

smitty1931

Yup, those foreign guys have weird names...I mean they are so, uh, foreign. ;)

Just joking...

I recognize that name, he played Neri in Don Juan (1926). Not a nice guy.

:)

Edited by: laffite on Mar 28, 2014 3:02 PM

Old Hollywood use to change the weird names of actors i.e. Cary Grant - real name Archibald Alexander Leach.

CaryGrantNov11_000.jpg

Here's a tongue twister - Natalie Wood's real name is Natalia Nikolaevna Zakharenko.

The funniest - Albert Brooks is (no kidding) Albert Einstein. Don't take a genius to figure that one out.

The oddest - Kirk Douglas is Issur Danielovitch Demsky. Wonder did the kids say Is you what?

Edited by: hamradio on Mar 28, 2014 8:40 PM

>Here's a tongue twister - Natalie Wood's real name is Natalia Nikolaevna Zakharenko.

Yeah...well...I'll bet after perfecting his "Tchaikovsky" routine years earlier, Danny Kaye would have had NO problem with THAT, Ham! ;)

(...that baby would have rolled RIGHT off his tongue!)

Super macho John Wayne's real name being Marion Morrison. Just how far would "Marion" have gotten in Hollywood as the quintessential western/cavalry tough guy being named "Marion" Wayne..........................................I don't think too far. "The Duke" might have been known as "El Magnifico" the dancing cowpoke instead.

The funny thing about Benedict Cumberbatch is that he is the son of British actors Timothy Carlton and Wanda Ventham. I am familiar with his mother's work because she appeared in a couple of episodes of "The Saint" opposite Roger Moore in the 1960s. But Benedict's dad's real name is Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch, which means he dropped the surname professionally. You've got to give Benedict credit for sticking with his real name.

By the way, Benedict's parents appeared with him in the Christmas 2013 episode of "Sherlock," which aired on PBS several weeks ago. They played Sherlock Holmes' father and mother, respectively.

Would a Volodymyr Palahnik have ever done one-handed pushups on the Oscar stage?

To reverse things, and go from boring name to exciting name, would Betty Perske have had the "Look?"

Or would Ruby Stevens have made a believable Ball of Fire?

Would Estelle Thompson have been exotic as Merle Oberon?

Doesn't matter. I do believe the OP was going on about actors and actresses with weird names that HAVEN'T been changed.

I didn't look it up, but I'm sure NEHEMIAH PERSOFF didn't change from something else to THAT.

But Hollywood was funny in that they would let some odd names slip by.

Like, who besides Demi Moore would name their kid TALLULAH? MYNA, GREER or BEULAH?( Even though "Greer" was one of two "middle" names of Ms. Garson, and was her Mother's maiden name, her actual first name of "Eileen" would have worked just fine as well)

But a lot of that could have been Hollywood's weird perception. Maybe, who knows, maybe BERNIE SWARTZ might have made it just as big as TONY CURTIS?

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings